The Official English Premier League Thread

and I support Newcastle obviously, going by the avatar should give it away. I think we have a good chance of coming back up straight away if we dont sell too many more players.

We made a good start and you need that in the championship.

It’s good to be a gunner!! With both Man U and Liverpool dropping a game, the season is shaping just fine… :slight_smile: Any thoughts on Man City? Predictions on where they might finish? They have some class players in Tevez, Barry, and Rubinho… And with Lescott set to join Bridge, Richards and Toure in the back they have some adequate cover in the back. Up front, even though I venomously hate his money grubbing antics Adeboyar is fine striker. Enough to break the top four?
Being a die hard Arsenal fan these past few seasons have been a bit tough but I feel that the professor will be vindicated this season as the gunners finally bring some silverware back to Ashburton Grove. The Destabilizing force that was Ade and Toure(the latter being tapped up Man City during the winter transfer market) has been removed and this team of youngsters having played together and grown together will finally flourish. It would interesting to see if we add a player by the end of the transfer window.
Side Note: Props to Burnley, first top flight victory in 50 years and it was at home against the defending champs who with a 1 nil victory on Sunday and a loss today show just how much the miss CR9’s creative spark.

It’s been an extremely interesting start to the season, alright!

As a lifelong Spurs fan, I couldn’t possibly be more delighted with the way things have gone in these first two games. I was even able to watch the whole of the Spurs v. Liverpool game on cable TV - what a treat! Then to wake up this morning, nervously click onto BBC Sport, and see the wonderful scoreline of Hull 1 Tottenham 5, has put me in the best possible of moods. And a hat-trick for Defoe is very good news for England, as well.

Of course, I know it cannot last, and we’ll be brought down to earth with a crash by Zola’s ever improving Hammers at Upton Park this weekend, but I’m going to savour every moment and enjoy reading every report and comment during these euphoric days. Spurs are actually top of the league today!

As for City, I fully expect them to be up there tussling with the Big Four, though I’ll be surprised if they’re serious contenders for the title. I hope that Everton and Villa will continue to fall away, leaving Spurs clear possession of 6th spot and the chance to nibble at the Big Five’s heels. Despite being a Spurs fan, I was actually quite pleased by the demolition job the Gooners did on Everton, which must be one of the most astonishing results ever on the opening day of a season.

As hard as it is for me to say it the Spurs are a team to watch this season. “Arry” is a wonderfull manager and seems to know how to really get the best out of his players, starting with Jermaine Defoe who’s has hat trick was nothing less then supberb, all wonderfull shots and not just tap ins. It will be a London Derby to remembered when Spurs and the Gunners square off. This time we will be keen to avoid and Bentley wonder goals. Gunners 2-0 vs Spurs this season :smiley:

Count me in for Spurs too. Glad to see there’s a few of us.

So – honestly – is top four possible?

[quote=“James226”]Count me in for Spurs too. Glad to see there’s a few of us.

So – honestly – is top four possible?[/quote]

It’s not impossible and I think they’ve got good enough players, but they’ll need to have a bit of luck on their side - unlike at Chelsea, where they more than held their own for much of the game, and should certainly have been awarded a penalty (as blatant a penalty as there ever could be), before injuries robbed them of the heart of their defence, which their opponents were clever enough to take advantage of. I’d say that, if Modric comes back soon, King can play regularly, Woodgate recovers, and they don’t suffer too many injuries to other key players, they’ve a one in ten chance of being in the hunt for 4th place at the end of the season. But they’ve never been a lucky team (terrible refereeing decisions go against them time and time again), I expect them to lose most of their games against the Big Five, and I don’t think we can realistically hope for anything better than 6th. But at least we should enjoy seeing them score plenty of goals, and play some exhilarating football that will make them one of the best teams to watch.

Spurs aside, how about that Man Utd. v. Man City game, eh? That was one of the most thrilling games I’ve ever watched - non-stop action, brilliant skills, and extraordinary drama. Little love as I have for United, I was rooting for them simply because I wanted to see City put in their place - and that late winner by Owen was about as good as it gets for seeing a goal scored by anyone other than a Spur. I dislike Hughes, and was as pleased as punch to see the expression on his face when that goal went in.

Actually, I like the fact of what City have done this season. In effect, they’ve taken some of the top players from around the league that other teams were basically hoarding; this has the effect of ‘spreading the wealth’ more evenly. It makes things more interesting. The current start to the season is a good indication of that so far.

[quote=“Shearersheed”]and I support Newcastle obviously, going by the avatar should give it away. I think we have a good chance of coming back up straight away if we dont sell too many more players.

We made a good start and you need that in the championship.[/quote]

Don’t worry, even though I’m a Gunners support we wish Newcastle to return to top flight Premier League Football.

You guys look very strong… :thumbsup:

So I’m new here, any of you old hands know where a man can find a decent pub with atmosphere and football? Or if that’s dreaming, just the football?

Also: does anyone actually play football here? I’d love to have a kickaround some time but finding anyone else interested is proving tricky… If anyone’s interested, PM me

jimipresley should be over the proverbial with the Fulham win, although I’m not sure beating Liverpool counts for much these days. More importantly, Oxford won again, albeit in a far more competitive league.

Oh man! Giving those red wankers a slap was the highlight of my weekend. Pity that they were reduced to 9 men, though. Gives them something to whine about.

I watched the highlights last night, don’t think anyone can complain about the two reds. They both looked justified.

No Torres or Gerrard for Lyon. Benitez is in big trouble.

[quote=“tomthorne”]

No Torres or Gerrard for Lyon. Benitez is in big trouble.[/quote]
Whatcha on about? Oxford could beat Lyon.

Oh man! Giving those red wankers a slap was the highlight of my weekend. Pity that they were reduced to 9 men, though. Gives them something to whine about.[/quote]

Highlight of my year bro’. :bravo:

Man U losing 3-0, just makes the weekend.

Rumour is that City are about to do their traditional foot shooting later tonight. Sixth in the league, sack the manager. Dickheads.

Another very interesting set of results. It’s looking more and more like Villa will be in there fighting for the title come spring. The league is certainly much more interesting than it’s been for many a year.

I was delighted by Spurs’ most unexpected win at Blackburn - that and the win against City in midweek amply make up for the huge disappointment of the loss at home to Wolves last Saturday. But I still don’t see them ending the season any higher than 6th.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Pompey beat Liverpool. How long will it be before Benitez is shown the door? Perhaps he’ll be spared until after Christmas?

[quote=“tomthorne”]Man U losing 3-0, just makes the weekend.

Rumour is that City are about to do their traditional foot shooting later tonight. Sixth in the league, sack the manager. Dickheads.[/quote]

Yep. Hughes has gone. Why is nobody surprised?

CL place, certainly, but I can’t see them competing for the title. Still don’t have the depth in the squad (although I would be very happy to be proven wrong in this regard, was disappointing not to see them continue the form of the first half of the season into the second half last season when they started haemorrhaging points from Feb or so). True that as I type this they’re only 5 points off, but Chelsea shouldn’t misfire against West Ham (although again I would be more than happy to be proved wrong!).

Oh sweet. My beloved Fulham taking a dump on ManUre. Life doesn’t get much better.

bro how fuckin’ well did we play? absolutely ran rings around them. Compare Bobby Z’s performance to Michael “Mr Anonymous” Owen’s or Clint Dempsey’s to Paul Scholes’…

Amazing…