The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

here are a couple of fun videos that are vaguely relevant and which everyone might enjoy, sorry i still don’t have more recent material but for me peak woke was a few years back

The biggest factors in inequality are poverty, wealth distribution and access to resources.

that is 3 factors

2 Likes

Thanks! You’re like Grammarly, except with zany off kilter political antics!

I meant a factor causing those factors of inequality.

James Lindsay suggests giving this a read “it’s easy to read, only about 140 pages, you can do it in 3 or 4 hours tops”–think I’ll do that.

1 Like

This should be interesting, please let me know what you think. I’ve only read some of the foundational philosophy and the required/recommended CRT-in-education stuff, so perhaps the in-between legal scholarship is better (seems unlikely). And yet, if James Lindsay is suggesting this short book I imagine it paints CRT in an unflattering light:

1 Like

No, it’s a basic textbook. He did suggest that it was unflattering enough on its own :slight_smile:

I got that, sorry, just pointing out to those unfamiliar with Lindsay what his take on the basic textbook might be. Anyways, still interested to hear your take on the book when it is ready!

1 Like

Looks like a great bill overall

Banning branches of academic studies in the name of promoting Democracy. Never thought I would hear of American lawmakers calling for the banning of ideas in my lifetime.

It’s not banning “branches of academic studies”, no. Try reading the bill! What would you oppose?

I have read the bill. It bans “divise concepts” and a bunch of other jingoistic words that can be loosely defined to fit a RW political agenda to stifle free speech.

" it would forbid making “any individual […] feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race or sex.”

This could be used in almost any way. It’s double speak. Basically,: “Don’t make us uncomfortable”.

McCarthyist and red baiting. This is not what America is about.
Plus the bill sponsor is a libertarian, which is even more absurd.

he can’t even be bothered to read this thread

You haven’t read it closely enough. It bans a number of racist practices in job training, primarily.

I said I have read it in it’s entirety. You’re not allowed to teach certain concepts, and all of those concepts happen to be RW strawmen or distortions of the basic tenets of CRT.

The state banning ideas in universities is about as CCP as it gets. Private business libertarian puppet tyring to dictate what can be taught in college classrooms. the language in this bill is hogwash doublespeak. This is proving the white fragility point to be true if anything.

“divisive concepts”.

conspicuously absent from the screenshot you shared. but i don’t believe it is because you are dishonest, i think it is because you don’t do your reading

Are there any proposed bans like this in Canadian schools? Tell us about the school you’re at. Would you be ok with this?

dodge, and personal. put up or shut up

Put up what? Im interested if you’d be ok with this at your Canadian Uni, and if there’s any proposed legislation like this there. Doesn’t it seem Anti-Democratic to you? Even if you don’t like the content, it’s free speech. You know, kind of like Trump in front of the Captiol.

So to recap:

Trump’s capitol riot free speech.
Let’s ban some left academics and regulate free speech in Unis because McCarthy.

Gotcha

1 Like