The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

No it wouldn’t.

“I hate X” isn’t the same as “Kill X”.

The Chinese Communist Party have a very broad definition about what insults them.

2 Likes

HB 544 gets through committee, but it’s sad to see the Democrats so hard behind this crap. Probably a deal-breaker for me in the future if this trend continues. This is what the Dems are unquestionably against now it seems:

II. “Divisive concept” means the concept that:
(a) One race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex;
(b) The state of New Hampshire or the United States is fundamentally racist or sexist;
(c) An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously;
(d) An individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of his or her race or sex;
(e) Members of one race or sex cannot and should not attempt to treat others without respect to race or sex;
(f) An individual’s moral character is necessarily determined by his or her race or sex;
(g) An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex;
(h) Any individual should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race or sex; or
(i) Meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist, or were created by a particular race to oppress another race.
(j) The term “divisive concepts” includes any other form of race or sex stereotyping or any other form of race or sex scapegoating.

2 Likes

I can’t see how anyone could complain about any of those points.

I’m fine with CRT being discussed in tertiary education as it will continue to be. I agree with some of its theories. When deciding on what is taught to young learners a lot of other decisions need to be made, as they always are.

I think the thread title is wrong, by the way. CRT isn’t being banned.

2 Likes

A better title would be “A bill to ban state sponsored race theories”

1 Like

Feel free to suggest a new one, usually it’s a good idea to have the OP agree with a name change in this case that would be @tempogain , feel free to do by PM or here if you like, or not, entirely up to you.

1 Like

I don’t know. It could be argued that some concepts underlying CRT are being banned from being preached to young learners and federal employees.

The world’s gone mad.

“to limit”?

1 Like

There’s a bill in New Hampshire to ban CRT indoctrination?

2 Likes

Don’t misuse CRT abbreviation :no_no:

2 Likes

Those are being phased out, unlike Critical Race Theory… :slightly_smiling_face:

But CRT won’t be banned. To turn it on its insane head, which of the points in House Bill 544 aren’t progressive?

1 Like

I guess my emphasis was on the indoctrination part. If CRT is presented neutrally as a theory, fine. If it’s used as a tool with a political end, not so fine.

4 Likes

Indoctrination by obscure academic journals no one forces you to read. Run for the hills!

Think of the ways that B could be used to stifle criticism of the State. (Very CCP).

C: you’re now allowed to say that any individual might have unconscious racial bias. Certainly not progressive if you’re dealing with a critique of white supremacy.

D. Can be a cynical reading of Affirmative Action
G. Nope, we’re not historically linked to white supremacy so don’t ask
H. Don’t make us feel guilty about being white
I. We’re in a meritocracy, don’t bring us these ideas of historical white supremacy or inequities.
J. A very loose term that could be definied about any way a RW judge wanted.

Written by an extreme RW libertarian legislator with a tax cutting agenda who somehow doesn’t see this as government overreach. Remember the main critcs of SJW in American Unis are Koch Brothers funded. They’re the gang that funded Iraq, and all the studies saying climate change wasn’t real if you remember.

But yeah, Dr. Seuss and Academic journals. How DO You view this as progressive exactly, especially if you don’t believe in bans on free speech?

If that were the problem, the bill would be about banning obscure academic journals.

3 Likes

Good luck banning ‘divisive concepts’. Wait, you’re not one of those government overreach types yet you seem to be supporting this bill. That’s odd.

Anyways, it wont pass so whatevs.

This is a conclusion that @McNulty has brought up previously in this thread, and I have never disagreed. I don’t even follow the specific case that closely, but I assume it will not pass.

Broadly, I take issue with ‘problematization of whiteness’ as hypocritical if nothing else. For me it goes back to the unresolved Farrakhan question.

Maybe you can use your McNulty-buster to block the vote.

It is error proof. I have proven several errors, for example, and it keeps ticking.

I’m sorry, I find your concept of “McNulty Buster” divisive. :upside_down_face:

Actually ‘Divisive Concepts’ sounds like a prog rock album title. Or some Mahavishnu Orchestra type record.

1 Like

McNulty is a force of nature…or something.