The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

For this journal, I am. Anyways, the offer to read your draft stands. Up to you :slight_smile:

[quote=“TT, post:56, topic:202736”]
Excellent, it seems you missed this question while you were reading…

The theory is based on the US. So, no. You could develop a similar theory.

Still curious about the institutionalized racism question

Edit.Also, this seems like a distraction

2 Likes

So what you’re saying is, these ideas theories have no validity outside of the US? That’s good, because I’m not from there and don’t live there!

You should make it a poll, if you want to know what people think…

What does, and why?

‘Pro’ or ‘anti’ CRT is a misnomer. CRT is simply an area of study, it’s an academic discipline. They don’t all agree with each other either! One isn’t pro-Biology or anti-Biology, for example.

Think of it in everyday terms as a study of institutional racism, examining how the laws work to perpetuate racist ideas, and if you’re white thinking about how those laws benefit you in some way. A good example of this would be the GI bill again–Blacks in America were systematically denied home loans. Racism in hiring practices, who gets the job, etc. In policing: Profiling. Private Prisons, Crime bill etc. Whites have had better access to education historically. etc.

It’s just a call to change unfair laws. It’s not an attack on white people. I think the perception that it is is where problems in communication start.

2 Likes

Well I might spend more on sun screen with less melanin and be discriminated against in different ways either positive or negative , but yeah that would be an indirect G×E interaction (genetic times environment). What about if the tone of skin color allowed one to get sex more easily? That would increase progeny and then increase the amount of that organisms DNA in the human gene pool. I am not being too serious just kind of demonstrating it is easy to argue any point of view. Personally I would love to have a bit more melanin but not enough to have to worry about vitamin D shortages. :wink:

2 Likes

Seriously @tando, how dare you? Oh wait, that was me and you’ve been misquoted!

edit: there is also this

1 Like

so, it could be critical religion theoly, critical tribe theory, critical language theory, or critical race theory with a different combination of colors or races, or whatever.

how do they treat socioeconomic classes?

what kind of deformation has been proposed?

I know, I will search, but any kind input will be appreciated.

It’s been a progression throughout history. Starting with the abolition of slavery, then desegregation of the education system, anti-discrimination labor laws, allowing the shared use of public drinking fountains (!), reversals in unfair housing practices (redlining districts was made illegal), and then once these gains are accomplished obviously Affirmative Action plays a major role in trying to even the playing field. Biden appointing more POC to cabinet positions, trying to remedy underrepresentation in the workforce, integrating into civil service jobs etc. (the timeline here is not exactly right but these are major events). Obviously gaining voting rights was huge.

The controversial notion of reparations enters the discussion at this point.

1 Like

Yes, I know those changes, though I didn’t know they were done by CRT, and asked more about currently proposed legal deformations. It may be the reparations?

Not “it”. This theory has gained acceptance over time by academics. You can’t just alter it. You could develop your own theory about these things and publish articles about it.

Why do you get to ask all the questions? The thread is called CRT. Do you agree with the posted definition?

What do you think this is? Also, you shouldn’t accuse others of deflection and then deflect instead of clarifying when asked. They might think you are trolling or discussing in bad faith. I think you’re sincere, but others might not.

I haven’t questioned it, have I?

Well, maybe some academics but the ones who are scientific-minded might see things like

and have a few questions about what kind of theory can’t be altered…

1 Like

When people ask questions like this. Can other races be racist? For example.
It’s a common distraction used to derail conversations
another classic is why isn’t there a white history month

1 Like

I meant alerted as in rewritten… Changed completely

No, it’s widely accepted

This is an interesting case

1 Like

When you say

are you referring to

?
Because I think these are two different questions. Maybe @tando can clarify

Also, since you brought it up

?

I don’t think this really changes my point about how scholarship is supposed to work, as opposed to dogma for example

I’m not saying it isn’t very fashionable these days, only that there are other academics who look at the writing of -let’s just keep my favourite- for example Robin DiAngelo and don’t accept it. Me, for example (though few of my colleagues in education, to be sure). It isn’t widely accepted in the way that natural selection is accepted, but in certain academic circles yes this is the dominant paradigm. That doesn’t make it infallible, or even valuable, IMO.

1 Like

Yes, I was referring to that. They are basically the same question.

And partly this.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Few theories are, especially in the social sciences.

Certain academic circles? In my studies, most classes considered it one of the leading perspectives to study our topics. You don’t have to agree with it, but it seems you’re trying to discount the importance of CRT. Please correct me if I’m misreading your comment

Hmm. Interesting.

That article opens with this.

“As part of the sociology curriculum, students investigated and discussed the real-world ramifications of prejudice, as well as academic concepts such as white privilege and patriarchy.”

Personally I think courses like this are useful.

Regarding the individual student and the teacher… There are two sides to every story. Idiot teacher ruining the course, taking it to extremes, or teenager who wanted to drop a class and exaggerated. In either case, it seems to be an isolated issue. I still see value in courses like these

1 Like

You are. I’m afraid you’re misreading a few things since

means I haven’t questioned your definition, not that I have no questions about CRT.

Fair enough. I’m not of the opinion that CRT is an empty chair (that would be ridiculous), but I still think it is not good to say it is widely accepted because it is in fact quite contentious.

Sure, mine too. At the same time I have worked with STEM professors who don’t know, don’t care, and can’t be bothered.

If you really want to know what I think, I suggest you read what I’ve written here and on the peak woke thread over the past 8 days…

edit: for your convenience

1 Like

Always wanted to see Posner on the Supreme Court, but figured his ideas would be too independent for either side to consider him a reliable vote, so he wouldn’t get nominated or voted through by either Democrats or Republicans