The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

Are you suggesting that forced to master and adapt to a culture and learn a foreign language are equivalent in some way?

Whoā€™s claim? No idea who is saying this. Please attribute your ideas to a source.

1 Like

I think @tando is just trying to understand ā€¦

1 Like

Tando understands a lot afaik. Iā€™ll defer to the horseā€™s mouth.

Maybe Iā€™ll just step back and see how things shake out here, thenā€¦

Yes, until I read this thread, I didnā€™t know CTR, and Iā€™m googling on it now, and I read cancel white cultures or like that somewhere, I donā€™t remember the context though.

1 Like

No one article is going to be expansive enough to give you proper background. It is a very biased topic. Fair warning.

2 Likes

Letā€™s start with good olā€™ Encyclopedia Britannicaā€™s definition:

Critical race theory (CRT) , the view that the law and legal institutions are inherently racist and that race itself, instead of being biologically grounded and natural, is a socially constructed concept that is used by white people to further their economic and political interests at the expense of people of colour. According to critical race theory (CRT), racial inequality emerges from the social, economic, and legal differences that white people create between ā€œracesā€ to maintain elite white interests in labour markets and politics, giving rise to poverty and criminality in many minority communities. The CRT movement officially organized itself in 1989, at the first annual Workshop on Critical Race Theory, though its intellectual origins go back much further, to the 1960s and ā€™70s.

2 Likes

Like as in an ad-hoc referee?

Iā€™ll DM you a copy of the paper when Iā€™m done.

You know I just started reading 2 hours ago, and donā€™t have any understandings or ideas what the theory is, except for my first impression on it that it seems somehow illogical.

1 Like

This is a very good point.

I still think DiAngelo is a good example in terms of the original post, hereā€™s one of her greatest hits. It only costs USD$50000-75000 to book her for a speaking engagement, so clearly her main interest is in making the world a better place for othersā€¦

Peer reviewer, although I turned it down because Iā€™m not that familiar with the topic and Iā€™m already having fun working for free over here!

In my opinion, unless someone is forcing you to engage with CRT (such as your employer, or your childrenā€™s school), you might as well put a pin in it there (edit: unless, like me, you enjoy having these discussions anonymously for the first time, but Iā€™ve already done my homework even if the examples not the past few years).

All ethnicities of white people ? Slav, Celt, Pict , Anglo Saxonā€¦
How white? Lilly white, olive white, brownish white, albino?
Do genetics influence character? Yes, of course.
Do the genes that determine ā€œraceā€ affect character ? Not sure.

Please re-read the definition from Britannica:

Two important things from this: A. Race is a socially constructed concept B. CRT is a critique of laws and legal institutions, not whiteness in and of itself.

1 Like

This is exactly right

This is exactly it. I studied CRT in University. Many posters in this thread are mischaracterizing (knowingly or unknowingly) the theory.

So posters disagree with the definition above? People here donā€™t recognize institutionalized racism?

1 Like

Iā€™m also interested in how the theory treat non pure race people.

and how it applied to international laws.

1 Like

Excellent, it seems you missed this question while you were readingā€¦

I think the idea is that ā€˜raceā€™ is a manufactured idea in the first place. What @crusher said is a good illustration of this. Who counts as white, who doesnā€™t? For example, Italians werenā€™t considered White until post WW2 in the States. Same with Jews, they donā€™t assimilate til post GI bill. So the concept of race is fluid, and its built around laws, class, history.

2 Likes

Thanks
A .Forensics can know from DNA samples at crime scenes, the races of a perpetrator. Those ā€œracesā€ are indeed a label given by humans for a group of people that originated from an area at a certain period of time. Just like there are different kinds of bears or wolves. Polar bears and Grizzly bears can mate together but have different behaviors and phenotypes shaped by different environmental selection pressures. Why should humans be different ?
B. CRT sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I am open to change my mind.

2 Likes

Exactly. Common sense also says there is no biological correlation between the amount of melanin in a personā€™s skin and behavioral tendencies.

2 Likes

Right, so you were invited to review a paper. You werenā€™t a regular at the journal. Iā€™ve done one of those.