The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

What happens in Colorado can happen in Idaho, you think?

“That (equity) work has been going for some time, but certainly not at the level of the concern you have expressed tonight. Some of the things you stated trouble me, I’ll be honest,” said board President David Ray at a meeting last week after 30 parents spoke during public comments, mostly to criticize the board and district staff for endorsing diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives.

“I do not want my kids to be part of this nonsensical experiment.”

From Douglas County as linked above

2 Likes

Let me get this straight the school has a DEI program for teachers and you think that is evidence of forcing CRT and compelled speech?

You have yet to present an example of compelled speech. I’m sure you can find plenty of examples of paranoid Trump supporters complaining.

Do you know anything about Douglas County? The seat is Castle Rock a commuter town for Colorado Springs the most conservative part of a blue state. Douglas County was 52% for Trump in the 2020 election, while the entire state was 55% for Biden. So no I’m not surprised right wing media has parents in an uproar over the term “equity”. That is not evidence. That’s hysteria.

First, she said that DEI initiatives are not back doors for CRT. She explained that CRT is a broad approach to thinking about society. Other frameworks for critical thinking share traits with CRT, but they are not one and the same.

“We foster critical thinking. We foster ways of thinking, how to think, but absolutely not what to think,” Rummel said.

Rummel also said that the DCSD paid for the Gemini Group with grant money, not the general fund, and that No Place for Hate isn’t teaching students to become more feminine or trans-feminine, two rumors that have been in the community, she said.

Following staff’s presentation and the board’s discussion, members of the public spoke passionately — both for and against the equity policy — for another two and half hours.

Nice selective editing…

https://douglascountynewspress.net/stories/school-district-defends-equity-policy,378163

The problem to me could be in the “equity” portion. If you look on the Gemini website, diversity an conclusion are explicitly stated as being insufficient. The parent I gave a video from mentioned this. The school principal mentioned other problems, but there wasn’t much detail in the articles. I am still trying to find out more.

There are plenty here in this thread, and I’ve explained how it works several times.

I’m sure you can find plenty of examples of paranoid Trump supporters complaining.

Why would I want to do that?

So the people live in a conservative county, so we can just discount whatever they say by saying it’s because of “right wing media” and “hysteria”. This seems to be a favored discussion tactic of yours.

Not much of new details in that article you linked.

2 Likes

You failed to present any clips of parents at the same meeting in support of the policy, hence my comment on selective editing. If you were trying to find an example in Colorado then I’m not surprised it’s in Douglas/El Paso county. This is not evidence of compelled speech just complaining about the term equity.

@Malasang88 seems to be framing this as something right wingers complain about, implying those on the left don’t.

Like most things such as guns there are people on both the left and right for and against guns, more on the right for than on the left, but peoples opinions on guns don’t neatly fall into a left right divide any more than they do on CRT.

2 Likes

I only saw that one clip, feel free to post any other you find, I’ll surely be interested. I wasn’t trying to find evidence in Colorado, no (?). It’s another case among many and it will be interesting to see what comes out of it, certainly more details would be nice.

1 Like

Even if she is a minority, is she a minority that doesn’t deserve a voice?

1 Like

There is a concerted campaign ahead of the midterms to create hysteria around the term CRT. The evidence of new bills in deep red states where there is no evidence of compelling speech, and in fact fraudulent examples are being to force the issue, attest to that.

You could have posted the entire meeting that the clip was pulled from. This is selective editing.

Certainly, but using this as evidence of compelled speech is misleading. Just because a parent complains doesn’t mean the complaint is valid. I have yet to see evidence of complaints of compelled speech on behalf of parents of students these bills are meant to address.

Well, I don’t agree. This is coming from the grass roots based on actual practices people are experiencing. It’s those things that are driving this conversation about CRT (which has been around for a long time but no one ever paid any attention to) because it’s easy to see that CRT is the driving force behind them. It’s only going to get stronger.

3 Likes

You yourself gave credit to an executive order from Trump, and I showed you data that CRT was mentioned over 200 times on Fox News after April 2020.

How many parents had heard the term before that?
Grass roots? :rofl: Follow the money.

1 Like

I did, yes, so? When he’s right, he’s right, and my political support will probably be strongly focused on whoever is on the right side of this issue in the future.

It’s being mentioned everywhere else too lol. Have a look

No one ever thought about it until they saw the kind of things that have been happening in classrooms and other places based on CRT.

1 Like

Right…Fox News covers it obsessively. The rest of the media reacts. Let the cycle be unbroken. No mention to the difference in coverage from you of course. Fear mongering vs. explaining what the hysteria is all about.

What kind of things? You failed to show that. You’ve showed examples of parents looking for it by flooding the school with record requests or complaining about the term equity. Trying to find compelled speech is not evidence of compelled speech. Hardly enough to justify new laws policing what is discussed in classrooms.

Here’s a list from Rufo, there’s a lot of other stuff in this thread too. The state has a strong interest in ensuring that children are educated appropriately without being subjected to race-based divisive practices and compelled speech in schools. The same is also true for adults in work situations, people have a right to earn a living without being subjected to the same. These things have been happening with regularity and this is why you’re seeing this kind of reaction against them and CRT which people can see is behind them.

Critical race theory in schools

• Seattle Public Schools told teachers that the education system is guilty of “spirit murder” against black children and that white teachers must “bankrupt [their] privilege in acknowledgement of [their] thieved inheritance.” Link.
  • San Diego Public Schools accused white teachers of being colonizers on stolen Native American land and told them “you are racist” and “you are upholding racist ideas, structures, and policies.” They recommended that the teachers undergo “antiracist therapy.” Link.
  • A Cupertino, California, elementary school forced third-graders to deconstruct their racial and sexual identities, then rank themselves according to their “power and privilege.” They separated the eight-year-old children into oppressors and oppressed. Link.
  • A middle school in Springfield, Missouri, forced teachers to locate themselves on an “oppression matrix,” claiming that white heterosexual Protestant males are inherently oppressors and must atone for their “covert white supremacy.” Link.
  • A Philadelphia elementary school forced fifth-graders to celebrate “Black communism” and simulated a Black Power rally to “free Angela Davis” from prison. At this school, 87 percent of students will fail to achieve basic literacy by graduation. Link.
  • Buffalo Public Schools taught students that “all white people” perpetuate systemic racism and forced kindergarteners to watch a video of dead black children warning them about “racist police and state-sanctioned violence” who might kill them at any time. Link.
  • The Arizona Department of Education created an “equity” toolkit claiming that babies show the first signs of racism at three months old and that white children become full racists—”strongly biased in favor of whiteness”—by age five. Link.
  • The California Department of Education passed an “ethnic studies” curriculum that calls for the “decolonization” of American society and has students chant to the Aztec god of human sacrifice. The solution, according to one author, is “countergenocide.” Link.
  • North Carolina’s largest school district launched a campaign against “whiteness in educational spaces”—and encouraged teachers to subvert families and push the ideology of “antiracism” directly onto students without parental consent. Link.
  • Santa Clara County Office of Education denounced the United States as a “parasitic system” based on the “invasion” of “white male settlers” and encouraged teachers to “cash in on kids’ inherent empathy” in order to recruit them into political activism. Link.
  • Portland Public Schools trained children to become race-conscious revolutionaries by teaching that racism “infects the very structure(s) of our society,” and telling students to immerse themselves in “revolution.” Link.
  • The principal of East Side Community School in New York sent white parents a “tool for action,” which tells them they must become “white traitors” and then advocate for full “white abolition.” Link.
  • Students at the elite United Nations International School launched an anonymous social media campaign denouncing their teachers as “racists” and “oppressors”—and school administrators immediately caved to their demands. Link.

Critical race theory in government

• The Treasury Department told employees that “all white people” are racist and that children become racist by 3 months old. Link.
  • A Department of Education-funded conference advocated for “abolition” of American institutions and told whites they must “give up” their “wealth.” Link.
  • The National Credit Union Administration told employees America was founded on “white supremacy.” Link.
  • The Department of Homeland Security told its white employees that they have been “socialized into oppressor roles.” Link.
  • The CDC hosted a 13-week training program declaring that “racism is a public health crisis” and denounced the US as a nation of “White supremacist ideology.” Link.
  • The State Department, EPA, and VA pressured staff to denounce their “white privilege,” become “co-resistors” against “systemic racism,” and sign “equity pledges.” Link.

Critical race theory in corporations

• The Walt Disney Corporation claimed that America was founded on “systemic racism,” encouraged employees to complete a “white privilege checklist,” and separated minorities into racially-segregated “affinity groups.” Link.
  • Lockheed Martin, the nation’s largest defense contractor, sent key executives on a mission to deconstruct their “white male privilege” and encouraged them to atone for their “white male privilege.” Link.
3 Likes

The Gemini Group look and sound like a couple of grifters. It appears as though the people associated with the Douglas County school board viewed having them and their program was a progessive flex more than a thing seen as necessary. It’s a selling point where education is about business rather than learning. As an aside, I distrust people who are considered and consider themselves to be experts that don’t give their full names in introduction.

2 Likes

Missed the one in Coca Cola where they told their employees to be less white and then the lawyer declared that any lawyer firms which weren’t represented by at least 16% black lawyers would be penalized. An update on that.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/brief-coca-cola-investors-threaten-suit-over-law-firm-diversity-policy-2021-06-11/

That’s what I see for the foreseeable future, lots of lawsuits.

Midterms are a way off, how well this resonates or not we will see, seems like the Biden administration is all in on CRT. So, if that’s an issue maybe the Biden administration shouldn’t be making it one.

1 Like

His “whistleblower documents” link to the same article repeated, and to a presentation from the school where Rufo states:

the trainers begin by claiming that the teachers are colonizers of “the ancestral lands and traditional territories of the Puget Sound Coast Salish People.”

No evidence of this claim in the presentation. Instead they state:

We would like to acknowledge that we are on the ancestral and traditional territories of the Pugent Sound Coast Salish People

Then states:
the United States was built off the stolen labor of kidnapped and enslaved Black people’s work, which created the profits that created our nation.”

Which part of that is not true? And which part constitutes compelled speech?

Original “whistleblower” documents again do not show what he claims. We must rely on what is not in the presentation to make his point. These statements do not appear in the presentation.

None of this shows compelled speech. Instead there are aggressive links to subscribe to his newsletter and become a patron. Notably Rufo works for the Manhattan Institute a conservative think tank. I’ll go through more later but expecting more of the same hearsay with “whistleblower” documents that don’t back it up.

Agreed plenty of lawsuits will ensue when you attempt to police discussion in the classroom.

Legal scholars are questioning whether a recently passed bill that seeks to restrict Tennessee educators’ teachings about race and racism will pass legal muster given past precedent, including one case that dates back 50 years.

This is not the first time Tennessee legislators have passed bills that some have felt hamper freedom of speech and academic freedom in the classroom. Tennessee was famously the setting for the Scopes Trial in 1925.

Lesser known is the case and plight of the Highlander Research and Education Center. In 1967, legislators passed a resolution that sought to investigate Highlander and suppress anti-racism discussions and organizing at the nonprofit education center then based in Knoxville.

With the help of the ACLU, Highlander filed a lawsuit against the legislature claiming, in part, that the bill violated the school’s First Amendment rights, which include freedom of speech.

Not really. Fundraising starts early.

They will be sued for racial discrimination, nothing to do with what is described as policing classrooms.

It seems you would like to fight for the right to teach CRT, OK. It would seem many institutions and companies have at the least got the wrong idea and are pushing offensive ideas, a starting point for you might be for you to acknowledge these companies, institutions, and schools have somehow learned the wrong lesson and are pushing the wrong message which just so happens to be illegal.

White, male, able-bodied, Christian, and straight. That’s quite a minority. I meet four of the five requirements. She meets between one and three. He meets between two and four.

Out of interest, do any forumosans reading this meet all five?

1 Like