The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

I think there’s another way of looking at it: inequalities persist, and the only idea being pushed to address it is CRT. If the right (using the term loosely) had an alternative idea, then there’d be a conversation to have. But all I really see is attacks on CRT (fair enough), claims that systemic racism in any form doesn’t exist (and suggestions that the problem is individual racists, who must therefore be legion), and careful avoidance of even speculating on the root causes.

I’d like to see a non-CRT syllabus (and worldview) that goes beyond “we teach Jim Crow”.

1 Like

The central tenet of CRT is that white culture consciously or subconsciously subjugates black people and no proof of that is needed because the mere fact of unequal outcomes is proof enough. In fact, demanding proof is how white supremacy dupes POC into accepting their subjugation. Arguing that white people’s failure to offer an alternate explanation of the black predicament leaves no choice but to accept the validity of CRT is just more pseudointellectual nonsense piled on top of the core sophistry CRT is built on. Pretending that a logical conversation has any place in the midst of all this intellectual mumbo jumbo is simplistic at best.

4 Likes

And around we go

1 Like

Yes, but there’s a couple of questions there. First, I think a lot of ink and angst and misunderstanding is being generated by the history question. A lot of times left-wingers will assert that CRT opponents are opposing CRT to avoid teaching the history on this issue (I heard one just the other day, Bernie’s former campaign manager in fact). This naturally infuriates CRT opponents who are not insane racists, and you get responses framed like the above one. I for one would like nothing better than to get past that, and I’m glad you do as well.

Then, at what grade do we start addressing, as you say, " ongoing racial disparities in outcomes" with children? How? Those are good questions. It’s all a question of how it should appropriately be done (as it is with how history should be taught–not as simple as one might think).

1 Like
2 Likes

Can’t help but notice Malcolm Nance keeps “framing” this around history, and also that he ignores Kendiangeloism (ignorant, or disingenuous?)

And then the best he can do is saying Ben Shapiro sucks. Nice one.

1 Like

300 hours worth of requests for records on an administration that needs to run a school. Right it is pretty easy to see who is being unreasonable when they don’t immediately find what they want to find.

Funny how there’s supposedly so many examples but the same ones just keep getting repeated here. Even those examples are spurious at best.

If the school had simply shared the materials the first time they were asked, it wouldn’t have even made the news that they were stonewalling the requests. The story would have ended there (unless, of course, the materials are teaching children to be racist, which would explain the stonewalling…)

It isn’t complicated. Cakes and eating. :brain:

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve only skimmed the murky depths of this thread from before I joined it, and I hadn’t seen that.

?

Nah. If that were true, they ultimately would fulfill the request even if she had to wait, not charge her an unreasonable amount of money for it.

1 Like

Yeah, looking for specific things. I haven’t read every post.

Who’s arguing that? I said I think alternatives should be discussed.

Why do you think disparities exist between black people and white people in America?

I’ve been clear on that above: I think systemic / structural racism is a real thing, baked into government and law and corporate culture and education and so on. Some of that is historical but leaves a legacy into the present, like redlining. Some is still current, albeit more subtle, like my example above of hiring in tech companies. This position is not an endorsement of CRT, per se.

Why do you?

1 Like

I’d asked you for concrete examples of the baked in racism but I know there aren’t any so we’ll just skip to the part where I answer your question. I don’t really know why black people lag behind white people because I’m not in their shoes. All I know is it’s not because of anything I’m doing.

How do you know that?

1 Like

This is self-contradictory though. How could you have the hubris to announce there’s no baked in racism if you’re not in a position to experience it?

Institutional racism in Australian healthcare —
some examples
■ Funding inequity: Overall funding of Aboriginal healthcare is not
commensurate with extra need.8
■ Different performance criteria for black and white: For example, in
Perth, Derbarl Yerrigan Aboriginal Medical Service funding was
cut when an “overspend” arose because of success in attracting
clients; at the same time the teaching hospitals’ overspend was
120 times as great as that at Derbarl Yerrigan. The teaching
hospitals were given an extra $100 million to cover their
overspend.9
■ “Body part” funding: For instance, separate streams of money for
conditions such as diabetes and heart disease for a health
service which is intended to be holistic — 26 funding streams
(and hence 26 separate accounts and 26 demands for
accountability) for the Danila Dilba Aboriginal Medical Service in
Darwin.
■ Differences in treatment regimens: Aboriginal people in Western
Australia born in the 1940s received low-cost nursing care; in
contrast, a white cohort of the same age received higher-cost
technological care.10
■ Inequitable Medicare Primary Health Care (Medicare Benefits
Schedule plus Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme): In Katjungka (a
remote Aboriginal community), $80 per head per year; in Double
Bay (an affluent Sydney suburb), $900 per head per year.11
■ Cultural barriers to Aboriginal use of healthcare services:
Inadequate funding to reduce these barriers (such as language
barrier and lack of recognition of different constructs of health)
for Aboriginal people.