The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

At least we no longer have to entertain posts about how CRT isn’t being taught in school!

Maybe! I’d like to know more about it. For a start, why do they say

Calkins’s curriculum is “built on critical theories, including critical race theory (CRT)”?

They mention a couple of things, but what’s the overall weighting of concepts and approaches? Do conclusions about " ideologically trained readers", “In place of foundational academic skills, we’re giving them radical messages about identity.”, etc. hold water? I want to try to look more into it; it could be revealing.

1 Like

These things go in circles and never go anywhere, tomorrow the focus will be “you don’t understand CRT” when that moves on it’s “CRT is a good thing” when that moves on it goes back to the beginning “But CRT is not being taught in schools”.

Watch.

1 Like

Yep. I read something like:

Calkin’s Units of Study also employs this method, analyzing the same poem through various “lenses”—critical race, radical feminist, deconstructionist, Marxist, postcolonial, and others. Reading in this way amounts to little more than radical proselytization through literature

and I’m left wondering, what’s the problem with analyzing poems from different perspectives (critical race is not quoted by the author, but his words I presume)? Anyone actually familiar with this curriculum?

Not all perspectives are equal. Some are dangerous, others are worthless. The ‘problem’ is that the teachers aren’t able to critically think about or challenge perspectives in universities, so they ram the same garbage down students’ throats in K12.

If students were encouraged to take the JK Rowling perspective (i.e. TERF) as other radical feminist perspectives (e.g. all sex is rape), then this could be an exercise in critical thinking. But there is a limit to what is acceptable. We can all agree the Mein Kampf shouldn’t be used acritically in schools to analyze poetry, why should other philosophical perspectives on society be above criticism (especially the “critical” theories?). Teachers who understand they can’t go into all of this with students, and who don’t really understand everything themselves, are left to parrot what they have been told and defend it the way they have seen it defended (usually, slander).

I’m first-hand familiar with the way universities indoctrinate new teachers with this crap. ‘Radical proselytization through literature’ is as a good a four-word summary as I’ve seen.

I read this earlier today and wasn’t going to share it but suddenly it is quite relevant:

4 Likes

I looked into it a little; mostly what I found is it’s taken criticism for its approach to teaching students to read. I didn’t notice other ideology-based criticism and I didn’t get around to reading it or anything. Too busy! I still would like to find the time at least to read the poetry section mentioned above, for example.

Also wasn’t going to post this, but Sullivan made a good point yesterday:

This is why so many of the most passionately woke are so obsessed with history in America, and the further back the better, as the 1619 Project shows. The past is a world they are much more comfortable in than the present, a place where the racial divide was infinitely simpler, and racial inequality both brutal and actively enforced by the government. Before the Civil Rights Act in 1964, before mass non-white immigration began in 1965, before mass non-white illegal immigration since the 1990s, the “white supremacy” rubric had some lingering traction.
But in the 21st Century, it’s been hopelessly compounded by layer upon layer of mass immigration from every conceivable corner of the planet. The Latino population in the US is now larger than the African-American one; and Asians, of many different varieties, are now immigrating in higher numbers than Latinos. Before too long, the black/white dynamic may disappear into the multi-colored, multi-hued background entirely.

This situation makes it plainly obvious NHJ doesn’t care about history. It’s a political cudgel, and it can’t be allowed to be weakened.

2 Likes
1 Like

With regards to the “permanent entrenchment of victimhood” this could apply to any group of people with a supposed shared identity if they are constantly told they are victims of another social group. In this respect CRT is very similar to nationalism. It also has many aspects of fundamentalist religion.

1 Like

CRT cancel culture

Don’t tell me after about 10 years of turning a blind eye to cancelling those engaged in free speech you are now going to talk about…free speech?

So they cancelled a lecture on the civil rights movement because of a bill that isn’t even a law yet which is designed to deal with something else entirely? There are a lot of red flags in that article, so I’ll take this story with a tablespoon of salt.

“a climate of fear” indeed. Obviously that started with cancelling or no-platforming people.

2 Likes

I assumed you would.

Wait I turned a blind eye to cancelling free speech for 10 years? If I did it for 10 years you’d think I’d remember. Or are you talking amorphous “Left”?

I thought you were above the binary left vs. right poltical divisions.

Seems like people are cancelling no matter their political ideology.

I am, people shouldn’t get cancelled because you don’t like what they say, including from my point of view those who want to talk about critical race theory.

In other words I do condemn cancelling those with ideals I don’t agree with. You on the other hand have remained silent while people with ideas you don’t agree with were getting cancelled.

You only care about the principle when it is someone from your side being cancelled, if you only talk about such principles when it suits your narrative and remain silent when it suits you, you don’t believe in the principle at all.

The notion that CRT is not present in the K12 curriculum, which this article trots out, has been thoroughly debunked on this thread.

It is a shame that cancel culture, which some of us have complained about more than others whose silence has been noted, has become normalized at universities.

It is also a shame that states felt the situation in K12 schools had gotten so out of control, and with justification, that something had to be done to prevent the spread of racism.

These are two chickens from the woke left that we see are coming home to roost. You reap what you sow. The thing about principles and values is we need to be careful which ones we defend and which ones throw away. Free speech for me and not for thee? Only white people are racist? Obviously these are self-defeating ideas and anyone who continues to trot out proven falsehoods to defend them deserves ridicule.

2 Likes

The professor was being cancelled because he was giving a lecture on the civil rights movement. That has nothing to do with critical race theory. Therein lies the problem with CRT hysteria, any topic about race now becomes verboten.

None of that is true. I will not be a stand in for your chariacture of leftism.

1 Like

My last post addressed this. If you were interested in an honest discussion, you would acknowledge that.

I remember people arguing that Germaine Greer getting no platformed wasn’t an attack on her freedom of speech because she could easily speak elsewhere.

The right and the progressive left are basically the same in terms of tactics. The left tend to do it first, though.

1 Like