The passion of the green (olive)

I happen to be of the opinion that green olives are a fine thing and add much to a pizza. Unfortunatly, it seems to be almost impossible to find them on pizzas in Taipei. Instead, we’re stuck with their tepid black cousins.
This is an open appeal to pizza shop owners to give green olives a try. Perhaps they are new to the Taiwanese palate, but I think they’ll come around and see the light.
I’m a fan of Alleycat’s, but I believe that even at that fine place, green olives are not available. I’m not trying to start a political group here, rather a pressure group.
How can you deny the full flavour of the green olive? Do you have no passion?

That is really* surprising to hear. No one likes to put green olives on pizza?

Now I’m a full card-carrying fan of the black olive, but they have to come from somewhere. And, besides, a little tasty jab in the cheek from their brother-in-arms comes in handy now and then.

Perhaps most Taiwanese prefer corn over green olives? cringe

Let’s try to put a stop to this… :help:

Yes, I agree. Green olives are always preferable to the black olives. Pizza toppings need to be flavorful and green olives have lots of flavor.

I also love the green olives, and I have actually seen some for sale in some of the Welcomes here, but I am afraid to buy them in fear they will taste about as good as the pickles I bought at Welcome. Does anyone know of a good place to get some that are decent?

You can buy very good Italian green olives at stores like Jason’s market and other shops that sell western food. I’ve also found Italian olives at Wellcome. In the supermarket in Breeze Centre, they have full flavoured green olives with garlic in their very excellent deli.
All of this makes me wonder why pizza joints don’t have green olives. Green olives, God bless 'em, are widely available here, so why not on pizza?

It’s obviously just not the ‘thing’. You won’t find green olives as a standard pizza topping in Australia, either - in fact, I find the concept only marginally less bizarre than corn on pizza :stuck_out_tongue: (Mind you, we do bacon and eggs on pizza, so… :slight_smile:)

It’s obviously just not the ‘thing’. You won’t find green olives as a standard pizza topping in Australia, either - in fact, I find the concept only marginally less bizarre than corn on pizza :stuck_out_tongue: (Mind you, we do bacon and eggs on pizza, so… :slight_smile:)[/quote]

I find that surprising given the number of Italians in Sydney and Melbourne. You’re not from Alice Springs are you?

I find that surprising given the number of Italians in Sydney and Melbourne. You’re not from Alice Springs are you?[/quote]

Not sure if you’re talking about the lack of green olives or the egg on pizza, but perhaps the former is not a traditional Italian topping either, and the egg is just, well, adaptation to local tastes. I have definitely gotten egg on pizza from pizzerias run by actual Italians - and I’m from Sydney. And you know what? Tastes great. Don’t they put pineapple on pizzas in the US as well? (Australia does.) Now there’s a travesty of a topping for you. And I assume they have loads of Italians in the US too,
so don’t look at us.

The ‘authentic’ Italian eateries, of which there many, obviously don’t dabble in such things, but I’ve never seen green olives there as a topping either.

We have huge numbers of Cantonese as well - and the Cantonese restaurants (almost) all to this day still sell sweet and sour pork - even very good, authentic places will have it buried on their menu somewhere. I bet some restaurants in the US still do chop suey (we don’t - but you can get fried ice cream). What does that tell you? Catering to local tastes isn’t just a Taiwanese thing.