The peak woke thread (Part 1)

So how many times have you been “tempted”?

it says temped. and twice. but once was because i was celebrating rush limbaugh being dead in the ground, which i’ve learned is a no-no to celebrate people’s deaths and have since reformed my ways (in the forum anyway) :innocent:

actually maybe three times now that i think about it.

Twice in two months, yet you think being civil in the forum is expected.

well, 97 days if you want to be specific, which is not two months. and yeah, pretty sure that’s a rule not to attack each other’s character? am i wrong, mods?

You are correct. However, there has been no attack on anyone’s character. Only facts that you have corrected (3 temps, not 2, in 97 days, not 2 months).

I don’t know which piece you are referring to.

Agree.

[quote=“McNulty, post:2048, topic:186602”]

[quote=“jdsmith, post:2030, topic:186602”]

[quote=“jdsmith, post:2030, topic:186602”]

[quote=“jdsmith, post:2041, topic:186602”]

1 Like

I doubt it, I know I would post a critique of a specific point and have often, but not that kind of garbage. There’s nothing civil about that. There’s people who want to engage in civil discussion and people who don’t. There’s a name for the latter actually, so I’ve wasted enough time on this.

Some posters might find some ideas in that piece objectionable, but there’s lot’s to talk about in it and the piece itself is hardly a ‘piece of shit’ or however it was described.

1 Like

You really are ridiculous.

I know, you’re also a victim of me posting this.

I believe this is what @strung.in is talking about. I’ve made a comment about an article, you’ve called me a name. The article was a pretty well thought out piece in the Atlantic by a reputable author. If people here indeed read it at all.

:zzz: BO-ring . Anyways, @strung.in you get the point.

1 Like

Is it wrong to correct something literally 60 seconds after I realized I made a typo? Also you said 2 months not me. are you experiencing ego dissolution and having trouble separating what you said from what I said?

I disagree. I was reading the thread and saw plenty of patronizing comments and ad hominems against mcnulty. insults to his ability to count, know what a proof is, etc. clearly this isn’t to be helpful it’s to be an asshole.

1 Like

Is it that, or just an incredible lack of self awareness from all that ego? Like the one poster sending me examples of informal logical fallacies he himself is committing. Some All-star caliber projection, you wonder if it’s intentional or not.

You’re onto something there. I see lots of slippery slopes, straw men, appeals to authority, and poisonings of the well as the biggest ones. Actually I’m not sure if you’re familiar with innuendo studios on yt but over in my left tube thread I’ve posted some videos from his ‘alt-right playbook’ series that really soberly presents a lot of the games the conservative folk use in argumentation. card says moops, never play defense, etc. they’ll all good. definitely recommend checking out the series if you haven’t seen it.

1 Like

the ship of Theseus video in the series is good, as well as ‘when we go high, they go low’ :v:

1 Like

If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.

I think he was capable of learning and growing, because he is a decent human being. After a few days to recharge I think he will be back, invigorated and with a slightly new perspective on the world.

He also thinks a certain poster has been civil, and I disagree very strongly with that assessment.

Correcting of math and condescension, is it not? What was that one about the pot and the kettle and the blackness?

I really admire the way you stick to your values in the face of that garbage and those people. I am not so strong.

If you want to know what I think, I wrote it in a post shortly after that article went up.

If you have really been paying attention, you would see that these haven’t been flowing in only one direction.

I think if something thinks they have proven something, they should be able to demonstrate it. The tools exist, I know because I have taken these courses and used these tools. Who is an asshole, the person who claims proof when they don’t understand what that means, or the person who says if you want to prove something here is a book that shows you how? Or the person who says we should be more civil and then refers to other posters as assholes?

Indeed. No ad hominem from this guy, always a reasoned argument that is easy to follow.

If you are referring to me, please provide a few examples. Since you brought it up. If you are going to throw down a gauntlet and not back it up, don’t be surprised if that changes people’s opinions of you and how your ideas are presented.

1 Like

@strung.in Read the rant above. Does anything else even need to be said? That video is great by the way, it really well describes quite a few here.

@eCanada is one of the best posters on the site IMO. You could learn a lot from him.

1 Like

?