The peak woke thread (Part 1)

Boohoo is very dodgy, but I suppose it’s ironic that its target market are woke youngsters.

The gender neutral neologisms womxn and womyn are transphobic:

Damn those intersectional feminists!

1 Like

The girls too!

They are everywhere if you look hard enough:

The intersectionality umbrella continues to reach for new levels of absurdity

This is a story about declining freswater fish populations. Did you Google ‘diverse’ and copy and paste the first article you found? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No, I have a sense of humour. You should try it some time.

Someone with a sense of humour, look at that headline and tell me the joke doesn’t work.

1 Like

Only black people can translate black people.

1 Like

By all means, it was about time you posted something worth reading

Just because you don’t read what I post, doesn’t mean there is nothing for you to learn. This one, for example, I have posted for you more than once but you keep doing it.

Which is fine, it is #peakwoke to run around slinging insults instead of doing your reading. However, it has been suggested more than once that I lay off of you, so please try to keep it civil if that is possible for you.

1 Like

The fish story was interesting.

Mmmm.

WTAF.

It’s the Daily Mail, but a lot of other sources are showing the same story.

The publisher agreed to stop selling them because they contain racist imagery. I’ve done a scan of the news stories covering this; The RW sites (examiner at al) hype it up as a ban (I don’t think the books are banned), but more neutral sites describe the Publishers as on board with stopping their sale.

It’s not like they’re banning all of his work or anything.

So does roughly half of the Western literary canon. I think the point of the article is that (a) in the US at least, there is no basis in law for preventing someone from selling such things and (b) eBay sells a lot of other crap that people might find offensive, so picking on Dr Seuss seems a bit daft.

The publishers can do whatever they like, but I don’t see that their opinion is of any relevance to what other people might choose to sell.

1 Like

It’s a slippery slope for sure. I was just thinking of Aristotle’s politics (the 1st section is a brutal apologia for slavery), early Bugs Bunny is full of all kinds of stuff (bad in equal measure to blacks and Asians), do we stop reading Heidegger and Schopenhauer because of their racial views?

I’m glad there’s a movement to point it out but you’re right that is opens up some big cans of worms

The books still exist. You can still buy them secondhand. The Seuss company themselves decided to stop publishing 6 books out of like a hundred because those books contain racist imagery.

When people complain that it’s a part of the culture of the time and should be preserved, fine from a historical sense.

But maybe instead they should ask themselves what culture are they actually defending? Speaks volumes of them more than anything.

2 Likes

Wow

Mein Kampf first editions are still available. Pricy, though.