The peak woke thread (Part 1)

It’s been a while since David Brooks wrote anything worth reading, but this is quite interesting.

During the Trump years I watched a lot of PBS Newshour and enjoyed his Friday appearances. The hypocritical dystopia pushed by the Elites is definitely a problem and he makes a lot of good points. Good share.

The Atlantic used to be one of my regular reading sources until the put in a paywall, lots of great content there.

Woke lesson 23#: Never discuss how you’ve changed for the better with specific examples, because people will only use said example as ammo and focus on who you used to be.

Yes, he probably should’ve realized sooner not to use it, but if people always condemn someone for past mistakes then no one will ever discuss important ways in which they’ve grown or flaws they’re trying to overcome and interviews will continue to be fake and calculated puff pieces.

3 Likes

I read this last night and it was quite sad; here we have someone that out of their own choice apologetically admitted to using a word that has been blacklisted by a good chunk of society over the last few years, yet he still gets reamed? Ridiculous and further proof that some people get offended at everything not because they actually are offended, but because they have realized they can leverage power over the well-intended by making them feel guilty for “hurting their feelings”.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the Liam Neeson thing a couple years ago when he admitted wanting to kill the “black bastard” who had raped his friend decades ago and used that as an example of how he had to overcome this racial prejudice he had built up as a result. Instead of people applauding him for overcoming it and realizing this was decades ago, he was practically blacklisted (er… no pun intended) for it.

3 Likes

I doubt Neeson and Damon care about the reaction at least.

I doubt that as well, but it could affect their ability to get cast in future projects.

If that were a factor I doubt they’d care either, they have enough friends…of course someone else trying to make their way up probably would feel stifled.

I feel like a lot of people are turned off by the woke nonsense. Haven’t Oscars and Olympics ratings both dropped a lot? That’s my attempt at math.

I think as long as there are well-intended but naive people that do care about someone or some group/country getting irrationally offended, this strategy will continue to be utilized. Predatory, but I see the genius in it.

Most of my friends on the left and center-left aren’t woke and can’t stand it as much as anyone on the right. I feel like most of the outrage is perpetuated by the media and politicians who see a vocal minority of influencers on social media and parrot their idiotic views as if it’s mainstream belief. There’s so much of it nowadays that the only good thing I can say is a lot of these new #cancel campaigns get lost in the white noise of all the others competing for air time.

1 Like

I always imagine much of the “cancel culture” is motivated by jealousy.

Fat, blue-haired fannies who spend all their day on Tumble reading posts by other fat, blue-haired fannies who haven’t achieved anything in their life, are jealous of those who have and look for any opportunity they can to tear them down.

4 Likes

Same, I don’t know anyone that ‘out there’. There are people I talk to sometimes, acquaintances, who definitely put their foot in the water, some PC police. Obnoxious.

The influencers are an industry, media both piggybacking off it, and going against it, are industries. It’s quite the human centipede.

And the politicians who are completely disconnected from their constituents are the worst.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Repost alert!

Meh

A day late and a dollar short :slight_smile:

Look lady, I hate to break it to you, but you’re not gonna be the new Tommie Smith no matter how many times you raise your fist. I like she did it before the event as she probably knew deep down she’d never see the top of a podium.

Berry had not ruled out a podium protest but was unable to find her best form during the final and finished out of the medal places in 11th. :smirk:

1 Like

Berry is probably going to end up making more money than the medal winners.

1 Like

She certainly hopes she will. If she medaled then probably. I just don’t see people clamoring for someone’s who was back of the pack though, even if she’s super woke. We’ll see.

I like how these attention-seekers always fake false modesty:

I’m just here to represent”

“I never wanted the spotlight”

etc, etc.

If I were another participant keeping my head down and trying to do my best in my event, I’d probably hate her.

1 Like

Yeah, even corporate wokists will probably balk at a politically correct motivational speech from someone who came 11th.

Having said that, though, I think individual success is a problem of whiteness in CRT.

1 Like