The peak woke thread (Part 1)

She didn’t seem to vaguely imply any of that (in terms of access, her $0.02 is the status quo), but you go with that.

Regarding making nicer bathrooms, it’s not even that crazy an idea. Buc-ee’s, a chain of gas stations / truck stops in tx (spreading throughout the south now) has turned the disgusting truck stop / gas station bathroom stereotype on it’s head and hypes having the world’s cleanest restrooms (they’re really pretty great)… doesn’t seem to have made them worse than other truck stops. They’re much nicer. Hey, maybe it’s the broken windows theory of bathrooms!

She’s a bit ungrateful:

over-roasted (yeah I said it) cup of coffee

If a stranger allows you take a piss/shit at their place it’s a bit rude/entitled to then criticise them.

1 Like

Yes, opening up the bathrooms to the homeless and drug addicted will surely make them “nicer.” Why should a private company open its bathrooms to the public? As someone said above, would you open your private residence for the public to use every time they wanted to drop a number 2 or sleep off their booze/opiates?

3 Likes

You seem to be missing the point that they’re already open to the public - she makes no suggestion for any more openness. She’s advocating for the status quo in terms of how open they are. That’s the whole point of the opinion piece.

Many do because they think it draws in business.

And Starbucks are reconsidering this business decision. It’s their decision, not the author’s.

1 Like

nobody has suggested otherwise.

The author of the piece has.

1 Like

not really. the gist of what she’s saying, beyond a commentary on the lack of actual public restrooms, is “so, here’s a free, unsolicited idea for Mr. Schultz and Co: Wait wait wait a dang minute before you go and force me to spend five bucks on an over-roasted (yeah I said it) cup of coffee just so I can use the toilet whenever I’m foolish enough to run errands in Manhattan.

So here’s a thought: Rather than locking up the loo, make it the best part of the store.”

no suggestion whatsoever that they can’t do what they want. an implicit acknowledgement otherwise in fact.

Who suggested Starbucks can’t do what they want?

you explicitly said the author has suggested otherwise…

I’ve scrolled back up the thread and I can’t see where I’ve explicitly said that the author has suggested that Starbucks can’t do what they want.

You appear very confident on this point, though, so I’m a bit nervous.

This is not you explicitly saying the author of the piece is suggesting that it’s not Starbuck’s decision? Then what are you saying she’s suggesting?

That’s not the same as me suggesting that Starbucks can’t make the decision

It is you saying the author of the piece has suggested that it’s not their decision (although she didn’t), but you’re saying that’s different than you saying she’s suggesting they can’t do what they want? Um, ok, help me out with the nuance there? How can she both suggest it’s not their decision, while still being their decision to make?

It is not her decision. It is their decision to make. I did not conflate the two. You did.

The Great Starbucks Toilet Row 2022. People will be writing songs about this decades to come

I did not, at all.

You said it’s Starbuck’s decision, not the authors - I said “nobody has suggested otherwise,” which is far from conflating anything.

You followed up with “the author of the piece has.”

Then you asked “who suggested Starbucks can’t do what they want”, even though you said the author suggested that it’s her decision and not Starbuck’s.

You’re quite the character, sir.

I’m going to have to move off my phone and onto a computer for the in-depth toilet analysis required.

Before I do so, why would I be wrong and continue to argue my position? Perhaps I am and I’m deluded. It’s a possibility.

1 Like

Do you not think what I posted directly above is not an accurate representation of how the conversation unfolded?

:whistle:

I do not think that what you posted directly above (or anytime in this thread) is an accurate representation of what I initially posted.

You see things otherwise. Not much else I can do.

Sorry, I never want to misrepresent someone.

What specifically do you think was inaccurate in my representation of what you posted?