The peak woke thread (Part 1)

Well done. Exactly what I expected. I almost heard the sonic boom as the entire argument went over your head at 20,000 feet.

2 Likes

You think you owned me, that’s the funny part.

Let’s see, asking people to wear masks in a PANDEMIC.

I did. But since you clearly didn’t understand one word of the argument I was making, you don’t even know it. So it’s not much of a victory. It’s like kicking a puppy.

Yeah, I didn’t care to humor your incongruence, shame on me for not taking your bad faith arguments seriously. Really owned me, you did lol

Seriously, I am genuinely shocked that either:

a) you are prepared to completely blank out some inconvenient facts because they don’t fit your woke viewpoint (viz., people with metabolic syndrome are the majority of COVID-19 deaths) or

b) you did read my argument, but you don’t understand it.

c) you understood my argument but decided to respond with ‘hahahahaha’ because you have no logical rebuttal.

And incidentally, a mask isn’t going to help you when you’ve got a feckin breathing tube stuck down your trachea.

Pardon me, you did not address the actual cause of the 3000 dead and over 2400 hundred dead americans every day this week. Pretending Americans decided “en masse” not to wear masks cause freedom brother. Is your memory that poor or do you leave out the parts that don’t fit your argument on purpose?

People didn’t wear masks in the beginning because they were told not to, that they need to be saved for hospital staff because Trump, despite being the leader of the free ass world, somehow was blindsided by this thing and did nothing to prepare the public or shore up the PPE early.

You’d rather play politics and say it’s because fat acceptance that people are dying. What a farce. I’ve heard some pea-brained takes on here but boy you’re stretching it.
I know it feels like a long year but just think back to February and March. You can do it.

You brought up deaths, not cases; the death toll is precisely what I was responding to. Is your memory that poor? Masks might slow down the transmission of the virus. They do not prevent deaths.

We’re talking about a disease which 99%+ of healthy people will survive with few or no lasting effects. The minority who end up in the ICU are either (a) old (b) ill with metabolic syndrome or (c ) extremely unlucky. This is not my right-wing bias. This is scientific fact. Scenario (b) accounts for roughly 80% of deaths under age 50. Feel free to google the numbers.

But we’re not allowed to tell people with metabolic syndrome why they’re ill, or what they can do about it, because the left have shut down that conversation. People literally get no-platformed and ‘cancelled’ for even mentioning it.

Ergo, the left is responsible for perhaps half of those 3000 daily deaths.

Yes, I’m being facetious. But don’t tell me the left is more caring because of the lies they tell fat people.

2 Likes

The death toll is abyssmal what are you on about?

99%+ of healthy people is not the same as 99+% of all people. How many people do you know with covid? Because I know several, and two of them are young, in their late 20’s the other early 30’s. One is a cyclist, the other a rock climber and hiker. Both have decreased lung function 4 months after infection. It’s anecdotal, but it’s not as harmless as you think mate.

Yeah maybe we should invest in education then? Or raise the minimum wage so more people can afford nutritious meals? What do you think about that? Call me a lefty I guess I don’t think becoming fat should be a death sentence in the united states of america. I hope none of your relatives are diabetic, or that they at least live in a country that treats them like people. Lot of money to be made off insulin in the us. There are so many actual problems that lead to obesity, but again, no you’d rather say people are fat because the “left” say it’s okay.

Who cares about being “cancelled”? Does that hurt your fefes? I’m sorry.

That is a bold claim coming from mr. “scientific fact” here.

I didn’t tell you that, that’s your strawman argument. I didn’t bring up fat people once lol.

What the heck are you even on about mate?

I know that. I broke the figures down for you to make a point. I’m still not sure if you’re being deliberately obtuse or struggling with the data.

But it is a death sentence; or at least it is now. The fact that you don’t like it doesn’t alter the reality. Medical science can’t fix it for you: if you end up in ARD then you’re gone, with 30-40% certainty. The only way to not die of metabolic syndrome + COVID is to stop being fat and ill.

Well, because when people are denied access to the truth, in this case at least, people die. That’s why I care. Except of course I can’t possibly care, cos I’m a horrible rightie.

Sigh. Try to keep up, Mr Bond. You apparently decided that The Right were responsible for 3000 deaths in the US today, or at least that they find it funny.

I replied that neither the right or the left can do anything about it, but the right at least have been telling the truth about one large cause of COVID-19 deaths (ie., being fat is not good for you and is easily fixable) while the left have been telling sweet little lies. I’m not a fan of the left-right dichotomy, but you stated that you don’t see anything wrong with fat people being fat “as long as they don’t hurt anyone”. So in this regard at least, you identify with the lefties.

The problem with your argument there is that they’re hurting themselves, in the most dramatic way possible. So in what sense is this a more moral position to take?

I thought I would be getting the latest antics on Vice or something from Titania McGrath here, what is all this health stuff?

1 Like

You’re getting an anatomy less on why the left is woke.

Go back up thread. I think you have me confused with @MikeN1.

And I told you that actually, the disease is serious. Maybe go get it yourself if it’s so harmless.

Okay I’ll humor you and say it is (even though how can it be not a big deal and also a death sentence). You didn’t respond to any of my suggestions for why that may be, or what we can do about it. I’m solutions-based. You’re off-base. You want to talk about obesity that’s cool with me, but only if you’re actually interested in talking about cause. People didn’t suddenly become fat when the “left” said it’s okay if you’re not super-model fit. Not how time or causation works my dude.

So you agree 3000 dead americans is a big deal?

The famously honest right. “Don’t wear a mask”. “My body my choice”. Literally spreading vaccine conspiracies on social media and giving them airtime on the MSM. Yeah okay buddy, you keep drinking that orange punch. If there is one group that cares for the poor, the sick, it’s definitely the right, LOL.

I’m not right wing or liberal. And yeah, but if anything, people doing what they want with their bodies is more libertarian isn’t it?

Okay, if you’re gonna make me spell it out, please pay attention.

BEING. FAT. IS. NOT. CONTAGIOUS.
COVID-19. IS. CONTAGIOUS.

And a large portion of right wing folk are rallying and parading around without masks to show they’re not afraid, thanks to right wing pundits and politicians lying to them. By the way “I’m not afraid” here translates to I don’t care if my actions hurt other people, I’m bwave. Look Mr. Pwesident! I’m stwong too!

ah, homeboy is trying to blame half of all covid deaths in america on the left for saying it’s okay to not hate yourself if you’re over-weight. while also failing to address any of the reasons why these things are they way they are, or address my suggestions for how we might work to change them.

implying being woke is bad. stay asleep my friend.

Well I tried to read some of it. I think you got this backwards a a bit. There’s one thing that’s for sure–America is a land of extra-large-sized fat people. No amount of left wingers weeping, right wingers dancing, bearded Canadians ranting, or bloggers blogging is going to change THAT. That is the ultimate baseline of unfortunate facts we had to accept when this epidemic began. Probably the right wingers would have done well enough in handling this, we certainly should have a lot of advantages even considering some of our poorer proclivities, except they were led by an amoral uhh person who could not give uhh anything about ANYONE’s health if it would impact him personally, and a lovingly selected cabal of like-minded relatives and stooges. They made this far worse than this had to be with waves of denial, stubbornness, and outright stupidity in turn, they are right wingers, they are largely owned by right wingers with pride, so, sorry right wingers. Own it.

2 Likes

But you didn’t have to accept it. You could have decided that, while refusing to wear masks, you were going to all get fit and healthy. Six months of not eating shite in front of the TV would have made a dramatic difference to the death toll.

The data we have on COVID-19 survivability suggest that Americans would not be dying at this rate if they were healthy. As it is, the total deaths are surprisingly low. 300K is a big number, but it’s a tiny fraction of the population. It is, in fact, about the same as the number who ordinarily die of the complications associated with obesity.

Anyway, we’re perhaps going a little off-piste here. I was responding to an assertion that ‘the left’ are somehow more moral and caring than ‘the right’, and/or that the right just love seeing Americans die. I was attempting to give a simple, one-dimensional example where this is clearly not true. I have seen nobody on the right of the political spectrum arguing for fat acceptance. All of that is coming from radically left-wing media. Most nutritionists - who have put the US into this position in the first place - are left-leaning.

Ok I’m clearly missing something here. We are talking about America, right? I’ll leave you two to this again.

I know, but you agreed that his assessment was correct.

This is rather OT. I think it’s sufficient to say that the physiology is well-understood and the solution is technically straightforward, but government policy is to keep people fat, and the left-leaning media are complicit in spreading their propaganda. You can read my posts in diet-related threads if you genuinely want to know what can be done. The short answer is: stop telling lies about obesity, and stop trying to convince fat people that all is well. All is not well.

True. But there is a concerted effort to normalize obesity. Most of this effort is loaded with leftist buzzwords, as I pointed out earlier. So unless it’s a false flag operation, it is (presumably) leftists writing these articles.

Of course it is. But

If you think it’s OK for fat people to remain fat, then logically it’s OK that they die. They’ve made their choice, and the consequences of that choice have been well-understood since April/May.

How is this remotely relevant? The central point here is that people with metabolic syndrome die of COVID-19. Most other people don’t. Dying is the issue here. Not catching COVID-19. You seem to have moved the goalposts with the ‘COVID-19 isn’t very nice’ tack, and that may be so; but if it doesn’t kill you and doesn’t leave you permanently disabled, that’s a pretty good outcome.

I know three people who have had it, btw. They’re all fine.

I’d also add that being fat is contagious, although the epidemiology is slightly unusual.

You see what I’m dealing with now.

You admit to being confused.

I said the left can’t meme, which is true because they care too much and are often humorless.

How is it off-topic? You want to talk obesity, that was the whole point of your argument, you brought it up. Oh wait, it’s because you have the solution already, and that is the left says it’s okay to be fat.

Untrue, it’s multi-layered and everything from social systemic problems (underfunded schools and food deserts) to capital systemic problems (big pharma gotta make that bread). Saying it’s straightforward but then putting the easy solution out of reach to many? Yeah alright.

True, but that’s because politicians on both sides receive campaign support and lucrative positions by bending over for a system meant to keep people perpetually sick and ill.

Partially true. They just don’t ignore it, and yeah they virtue signal and it’s effed up. It’s problematic. But also, people naturally come in different shapes and sizes. That’s the message. Genetics and such, mr. scientific fact.

You clearly have me / my argument confused with someone else. I never lied about obesity. I said you don’t have to hate yourself for being fat anymore than an addict needs to hate themselves for their disease. They can treat it or not, or even learn to live with it and love it. Sorry bud, that’s america.

Too late, america is already the fattest nation on the face of the earth by far. You still didn’t address my earlier post. Should we educate? Provide better health services? Reform campaign finance? Bust up big pharma? No, you don’t actually care, you just care about looking like a cool guy on the internet.

Every country has fat people. But they aren’t going around saying stop being fat suddenly. They’re saying put on a damn mask so you don’t get sick or kill your neighbor. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Because you brought it up and claim that if america weren’t so fat, there would be less deaths, and it’s the left’s fault for normalizing it. Besides being a completely batsh*t take that ignores the context of why there are so many cases in the first place, you seem to seem to not understand that the more people who catch a virus, the more die. That’s how it works. That’s also how it gets spread around.

we don’t know yet about the lasting health effects, but many people experience lung tissue scarring that could take years to repair if their body is capable of doing it at all. myocarditis is another complication, in healthy young people too. lean, non-smoking, active people.

I know about 25 people who have it. Most were fine, a few got quite sick, some got sick and have lingering complications, and one is dead.

careful, almost sounds like you’re interested in actually talking about social issues and solutions.

Now you may be off base, that’s almost all @finley talks about on here!

2 Likes