The peak woke thread (Part 2)

New York professor caught on video holding machete to reporter’s neck reportedly fired after anti-Israel rants (msn.com)

All they needed was to hire a few Asian moms :joy:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/woke-kindergarten-glassbrook-hayward-18635504.php

1 Like

This is mad, never thought i’d see the army going woke. I usually avoid this sort of woke news by and large, but it seems like the problem is worse than a few shitty star wars movies. Its actually quite disturbing.

Son, you’re going to college!

8 Likes

Well, hopefully not UCSF.

‘Whites are psychopaths’: UCSF guest speaker claims laws allow men to ‘rape Black women’ (msn.com)

“Whites are psychopaths,” King said. “And their behavior represents an underlying, biologically transmitted proclivity with roots deep in their evolutionary history. How many of you can see the proclivity that evolved deep within the evolutionary history of Whiteness? By show of hands, how many of you could see it? Some people are sitting here, ‘Oh no, I don’t want to raise my hand,’ that’s called denial.”

2 Likes

Looks like the left’s old nihilism is alive and kicking still in San Francisco. As is the Democrat Party’s centuries-long obsession with race, still thriving. As is the left’s love of performative Soviet agitprop language.

I hope this :arrow_down: better explains why Ivy League (and California) elites in 2024 love this kind of crap.

In the past, people displayed their membership in the upper class with their material accouterments. As the economist and sociologist Thorstein Veblen famously observed in his 1899 book “The Theory of the Leisure Class,” status symbols must be difficult to obtain and costly to purchase. In Veblen’s day, people exhibited their status with delicate and restrictive clothing, such as top hats and evening gowns, or by partaking in time-consuming activities, such as golf or beagling. The value of these goods and activities, argued Veblen, was in the very fact that they were so pricey and wasteful that only the wealthy could afford them.

Today, when luxury goods are more accessible to ordinary people than ever before, the elite need other ways to broadcast their social position. This helps explain why so many are now decoupling class from material goods and attaching it to beliefs.

Take vocabulary. Your typical working-class American could not tell you what “heteronormative” or “cisgender” means. When someone uses the phrase “cultural appropriation,” what they are really saying is, “I was educated at a top college.” Only the affluent can afford to learn strange vocabulary. Ordinary people have real problems to worry about.

‘Luxury Beliefs’ That Only the Privileged Can Afford - WSJ (archive.is)

2 Likes

Revisionist history makes for convenient politics I’m sure.

There’s nothing new (or false) in my comment.

If you don’t/can’t/won’t acknowledge that, then it’s not I doing the revising and what’s convenient may be your nurturing a kind of blind spot in your thinking.

I believe it was Lee Atwater’s statement on the pivot of republican strategy that makes your statement look particularly ignorant of history:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can’t say “nigger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger.” -1981

That’s interesting, as just like lower class folks who wear expensive kicks to keep up, lower caste people try to mimic the high falluttin’ mumblespeak that drips from the Ivy League Towers as though they were invited. lol

I recall when I learned what “cis” was. A young recently graduated from college with a BA, a black woman, working as a teacher’s assistant for a short period of time told me over lunch one day. As someone who saw the dire state of the education of downtrodden urban minorities, I wondered out loud to her why that particular thing was even important to the lives of these kids. She assured me it was.

She left for a better job in admin a few weeks alter, as that’s’ where the echo chamber was located.

2 Likes

Exactly, the liberal elite have long been a target for comedians lots of material there, one of my favorite movies “the rebel” focused on this class to hilarious effect. The tendency to wax lyrical usually about nonsense for one.

Or this clip where he wants a cup of tea, then ordinary coffee when told there is non. The contempt they express towards his not wanting froth is no different to any of the “new ideas” they see as progressive, “how dare you not like our progressive ideas, whats wrong with you”

Nothing new in any of this.

1 Like

So which of Atwater’s words did you leave out in the ellipse above?

Nevermind, let me provide the full quote.

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now you don’t have to do that. All that you need to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues that he’s campaigned on since 1964, and that’s fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster.

Questioner: But the fact is, isn’t it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: Y’all don’t quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger”. By 1968, you can’t say “nigger”—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states’ rights and all that stuff. You’re getting so abstract now [that] you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I’m not saying that. But I’m saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to cut this”, is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger”. So, any way you look at it, race is coming on the back-burner.
–A.P. Lamis, The Two Party South

The “pivot of republican strategy” that you refer to was Atwater’s insistence that Reagan didn’t need to appeal to Southeners in 1980 (they had been Democrats in 1967) by using the Democrat Party’s old language concerning race because Reagan’s and the GOP’s 1980 economic platform transcended race and appealed to all Americans, including people of color.

Your comment is disingenuous enough to make one wonder (again) about the actual size of your blindspot with regard to my comment.

1 Like

Lee Atwater was referring to how the republican party was able to push through conservative policies of cutting government and privatization by leveraging Southerners fear of racial integration policies. Democrats were the party of civil rights so it made perfect timing for Republicans to play on the fear of old racists. They even gave the racists an out by arguing the civil war was a fight for states’ rights instead of a fight to preserve the institution of slavery.

And Reagan’s just like Thatcher’s policies in the UK did more to hurt the middle class than help it. He was after all the one who presided over the crack epidemic and increasing inequality in lower income neighborhoods.

In fact that strategy continues to this day, if the economy is doing well the GOP will focus on immigration to play on people’s fears of immigrants taking their jobs. They use other policies like CRT to push through privatization of the public school system.

The only blind spot here is that you have failed to recognize when arguments around race are being used to force through policies against your own interests.

1 Like

So, biology is real when it is racial now. FFS.

Time to invest in a later model? :thinking:

3 Likes

2 Likes

A white shame month would go down better.

1 Like

Only if we could dress up.

I’d go as 1990s Joe Biden bitching about jungle schools. Or that sports announcer who said a guy ran in a defensive td like a chimpanzee.

Both shameful events on white history.

It’s more economical to lease one

1 Like