The Pet Cemetery

My father’s parrot died today. Its actually a ‘Noble Macaw’ and it was almost 30 years old, older than me.
I never really got along with it, and I’ve never really been that close to any pets, I really dunno what to say.
I just moved into my Dad’s place recently, I haven’t lived with him since I was 8. He is really crushed and I don’t know what to say or do to console him or make him feel better. I just feel awkward about it because I can’t relate and I dunno how to share feelings with my dad in general.

I was wondering if any of u pet owners could give ur 2 cents. Thanks.

1 Like

Animals become an inpouring of our souls. We tell them the stuff we can’t bear to tell humans. The death of a pet is often the death of a soul mate.

Tell him his life was enriched by the relationship he had with a living creature that depended solely on him for its life. God would be proud of him. And then tell him to go buy a new bird as soon as possible. Or a lobster. They can live for 100 years!

Buy some china food to bring home and some beer and use that to open a conversation.

Ask if he burried the bird yet.

Ask if he is planing to get a new one. If yes, then you offer yourself to go with him. If no you will say something like “what about a dog or a cat?” " what about a turtle? it will outlive you" " did you concider fish? they are so nice and have lots of colours"

If he’s negative all the way just say something like come on dady, You are so good with pets so you should have one.

What do I know.

My father ship catle he has known from birth to the slaugherhouse.

He’s not that sensetive I gues.

rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

or a version with music
indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

A very nice poem and words of consolation.

All the best to your Father and you. 30 years is a long time.

30 years, man. And Noble macaws are pretty personable birds. No wonder he’s feeling crushed. There’s not really a lot you can say to him, other than “I’m sorry for your loss.”

Yeah- the bird didnt really like me but he was totally in love with my dad, about 7 years ago the bird got really sick and my dad put a lot of effort into nursing it back to health so thats when they got even closer.

Originally the bird was found in a horrible pet shop in new mexico where he had pulled out every one of his feathers from depression. He was named ‘Oscar’ after oscar the grouch since he was pretty grumpy in general.

I think ur right, seems like all I can do is say- sorry for ur loss. I just moved with him so I hope I can keep him company now, I guess before he only really had the bird to welcome him home.

We had a cat for about 15 years that moved cross-country with us and lived in three states. She was a great cat. We had her since we were young children and she was a kitten and she entertained us endlessly with crazy, playful cat games such as jump in the empty grocery bag, chase the ping pong ball, chase the tail in circles, etc. She was intelligent and we trained her to perform tricks: sitting, shaking hands and speaking before dinner and jumping for the doorknob to go out. She was totally loving and would rub your legs when she wanted her back scratched or would curl up beside you and purr. But she was always an accomplished hunter and explorer and would be seen climbing narrow ledges, crossing tree branches, jumping across chasms and bringing home dead (or half dead) lizards or small birds or mice that she had captured.

Like all of us, my mom loved that cat. The final years of the cat’s life were spent in San Diego, which was cat heaven. There was a huge rocky hill behind our house, covered with vegetation and animals, including a couple of foxes that gave birth to a litter of kits one year and our cat often watched them respectfully from a distance – they were no threat to her and she was no threat to him, they just shared the same hill in the daytime, though our cat came inside and slept in luxury at night.

One day she didn’t come home. The next day either. Obviously something was terribly wrong. Pets don’t just disappear. Most likely she’d been hit by a car. So, eventually, my mom went walking up and down the streets looking for the body. She didn’t find her there, so she began scouring the rocky hillside. Finally, she discovered a few tattered remains of her under a bush, where she’d apparently been killed and partially devoured by a coyote (that happens to dogs and cats from time to time in So Cal).

It was really, really sad. We rationalized (or at least I did) that she had lived a long, full life and perhaps it’s better for a wild animal to die at the hands of another wild animal rather than being hit by a car. But it still sucked. She’d been a long, loving, loyal and entertaining companion. Anyone who’s never had a cat and thinks they are too independent and weird and alien, has no idea. That’s completely wrong. Cats can be fantastic companions, ours had been, and it was hard seeing my mom’s loss.

The loss of a pet can be every bit as traumatic as the loss of a human friend or acquaintance. In the end, there’s not much you can do, though, but to understand that it is a huge loss and try to be supportive and compassionate.

Remind your dad of what a great home he provided the parrot, and ask him to talk about some of the happier moments he shared with the bird.

Death is sad, but it’s merely a punctuation mark at the end of a long book.

The second of my two beetle grubs died today. They should have been easy to care for, but maybe the soil was too wet or too dry, and now they are gone. I flushed them down the toilet.

I’m a little sad about it. My wife told me not to worry about them, since they’re just grubs that look like big ugly worms. She said we can always get some more. I hope that when I do get more I know how to better care for them.

I’m a little sad about this event (the recent passing of my baby beetle grubs), but I’m sure it’s nothing like a pet parrot passing away. I know there are websites for this kind of thing, such as http://www.petloss.com.

dear I A,

i have friends who have birds. birds will develop one strong bond between themselves and their caretaker. they say the bird considers this person their mate. they will shun all other humans, only loving one person.

engage your dad in conversation about his bird and their bond. get him to tell stories about this bird.

i just lost my sweet girl of seven years. she was the greatest dog ever. it helps to talk about her.

your dad is feeling the loss of a strong bond-30 years in the making. let him know his pet will always be his pet. nobody lives forever, but memories and bonds can last a lifetime. keep engaging in conversation about the bird. after 30 years there are probably many good stories. he is probably saddened by the now quiet home, so keep things lively.

maybe frame a nice photo he has of his pet. make a little shrine of sorts to honor this birds’ long, happy life.

best to you both,

jm

Why not contact a Parrot Rescue group (they do exist) and make a donation in memory of your Dad’s parrot? If there are any groups located near you, you could call them and find out what supplies they need and take your father on a trip to pick up the supplies and help him deliver them. He would then get to talk to people who have loved and lost parrots themselves.

You’re parroting yourself there, dogscatsrules. :wink:

Sad to bump this thread, but my cat, brought to me via this site 16 years ago, has left the building.

Such a good girl. :crying_cat_face:

10 Likes

Condolences. Such a beautiful lady.

3 Likes

I’m sure she’s in purridise…

2 Likes

One man’s paradise is another man’s back yard.

3 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Such a cutie.

Condolences jdsmith.

1 Like

The best.

1 Like

I’m very sorry to hear that, mate. Sometimes it feels like losing a sibling or child. It hurts deep. Much love. :heart:

3 Likes