The risks of buying a vehicle without registration papers

and if it gets stolen, it’s gone.

possibly the same if it gets towwed.

Are you the type who would buy stolen goods? I hope not. If there are no registration papers, it’s probably stolen.

Don’t do it.

Kinda depends on who is selling it, I know of some situations where there are no papers and it’s not stolen. But I still wouldn’t recomend it (unless it’s practically free) bc if you get pulled over and can’t provide papers you’ll have some issues. And moslt likely loose your ride. I’ld go for soemthing a little more legit :slight_smile:

[quote=“atomicgrunion”]Hey all,

I’ve been offered a scooter with no registration or ownership papers.
Does anyone know what the disadvantages would be of having an unregistered scooter.
thanks to anyone who can clue me in.

AG[/quote]

Yes, if you get caught you will get yer arse put in the detention centre for foreigners to be deported some time in future never to be allowed back…

or something like that.

Go the legal way mate. The guy selling it to you (cheaply I guess) will not help you when you are caught in possession of stolen property.

I had a bike in my old boss’ name. I “lent” it to a foreigner for two months…and he gave me money to hold incase he didn’t return the bike for some reason. He didn’t return the bike…don’t know why, but I had the money so it was ok by me. My boss later got one ticket for the bike which I paid…he then reported it stolen since I had no way to get in contact with the guy who took it. So my old bike might still be out there…and if someone gets caught riding on it…they’ll go to jail (or whatever).

Be aware that if you’re stopped on a bike with no papers and it turns out to be stolen, it is YOU the police will charge with vehicle theft. Many people have been fined and deported for exactly this. I know one person on a joining family visa who did not get deported but got a killer fine AND served 9 months in prison.
The authorities DO NOT like vehicle theft. :noway:

You can go down to the place on Ba De and tell them you’re thinking of buying bike ABC-123 and is it nicked? They’ll tell you.

here’s a better, legal, free option [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 891#530891](Want a scooter for free?

thanks to all who wrote.
i guess i’ll pass on it.

cheers

AG