The salaries thread

I had a friend ask me about hard data on salaries and I found it’s kind of difficult to find highly specific, reliable information. Let’s start a thread where we only post fact-based links and hard data. Let’s start with something relatively light: Average regular pay hit 13-year high in first 10 months: DGBAS.

NT$38,480 per month in October, up 2.4 percent from previous year.

From National Statistics
stat.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=146 … =3564&mp=4
ebas1.ebas.gov.tw/pxweb/Dialog/statfile9L.asp

You have to download the excel spread sheet to see the data.

From some academia sinica paper:
econ.sinica.edu.tw/UpFiles/2 … ll%291.pdf

[quote]根據主計總處的薪資調查,包含月薪、年終獎金及加班費,台灣的每月平均薪資近年來幾乎停滯,經物價指數平減後的『實質平均薪資』更呈現倒退,今年前7月的『實質平均薪資』46,786元,與1997年的46,646元平分秋色。

According to the National Statistics Agency’s wage records, including monthly salary, year-end bonus and overtime pay, the growth of Taiwan’s average monthly wage has stagnated. After normalizing with CPI (consumer price index), the Real Average Monthly Earnings actually regressed. Taiwan’s RAME of the first half of 2014 was 46,786 NTD, which is pretty much the same as 1997’s 46,646 NTD. [/quote]

So that means that 13 year high stat is not normalized, and compares raw salary numbers, which doesn’t take into the account of inflation.

I’ll see your “facts” and raise you 12%

2014 government data indicates that 63% of ex-pat English teachers in Xinbei earn NT$820 per hour on average

Not bad going really

Calculations for this average?

All working populations salaries / working population ?

I’d be more interested in tax bracketed averages with persons per bracket. Now that’s more valuable and you can see the classes at play.

Aren’t employers here so generous /sarcasm

Found this gem.

Hours of work

eng.stat.gov.tw/public/Data/4122 … JT536W.pdf

Yea we will give you a few meager cents more, but we expect you to work you lousy slaves. I like the part where the regular working hour increased by 0.5 but overtime by only 0.1 . Workers in Taiwan really get the short end of the stick and you can see how highly they are “valued” by employers.

Perhaps BBC / CNN could add an additional show to their modern day slavery series to include China, Taiwan and Japan or make a top ten career killing destinations series.

I wonder what Taiwanese bosses think about the cost of high employee turnover or overtime related costs due to lost morale, creativity and employees choking on dead end careers they have created.

Obviously Taiwanese bosses are very happy with the situation.
Everybody ‘nu li’ together, boss pockets the profits.

:loco:

Japan’s working hours are often worse…the only difference…they tend to get paid better, that’s all (oh and they have a hell of a lot more public holidays). My Japanese colleagues often work from 9am to 9pm (2 hrs commute each way, 4 hrs sleep a night), one of them just took 2 days private leave this year. I don’t see any reason why other to ‘show’ his willingness to work the long hours.

Jeepers…

Who knows how much actual work is done during this time.
Maybe the Japanese could do with reading the “4 hour work week” by Tim Ferris.

[quote=“cyberguppy”]Jeepers…

Who knows how much actual work is done during this time.
Maybe the Japanese could do with reading the “4 hour work week” by Tim Ferris.[/quote]

The Japanese version would be The 4 Hour Sleep Week. :sunglasses:

Michael Page is a placement/headhunting agency. They post yearly forecasts with some specific information on salary ranges based on position titles and years of service, as well as some color on various industries.

This is the 2013 full report:
http://www.michaelpage.com.tw/websitepdf/Taiwan_%202013_SEF_FINAL.pdf

They have a 2014 forecast website as well:
http://www.michaelpage.com.tw/ContentArticle/page/7618/title/2014-Salary-Employment-Forecast-Homepage.html

[quote=“Oneup”]Michael Page is a placement/headhunting agency. They post yearly forecasts with some specific information on salary ranges based on position titles and years of service, as well as some color on various industries.

This is the 2013 full report:
http://www.michaelpage.com.tw/websitepdf/Taiwan_%202013_SEF_FINAL.pdf

They have a 2014 forecast website as well:
http://www.michaelpage.com.tw/ContentArticle/page/7618/title/2014-Salary-Employment-Forecast-Homepage.html[/quote]

Thanks Michael

Thanks Oneup; Looks like salaries are about 1/3 of what I’m earning now in Sydney Australia. Earn in the west, spend in the east…!