The Shannon (Irish Pub)

The horror! The horror! That is just SICK!

The horror! The horror! That is just SICK![/quote]

I will never forget it as long as I live.

I nearly forgot after Hexuan forced the staff to compensate me with a quadruple on the house…what are friendsh for, eh?

This must be the most expensive pint in the world. Boycot it !

Can anyone tell me what all the words on the front of the Shannon say? I drive past in a taxi every day and have been trying to figure it out. I believe it says “Turf Accountants” over the door although I haven’t a clue what that means. The other words scattered here and there are indescipherable.

Turf accountant is a Limey term for bookie. Can you gamble in the Shannon?

Thanks for the Limey lesson Sandman. It also says Undertakers over the door. Is that the debt collector?

said it before and i’ll say it again… the shannon is just a carbon copy of most other faux irish pubs littering the world at the moment… its like someone has set up a store www.buyallyourfakeirishshitonline.com…. the front section with the sofas is nice, but pretty sad when people think this place is the best pub in taiwan…

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Thanks for the Limey lesson Sandman. It also says Undertakers over the door. Is that the debt collector?[/quote]Only for very big debts.

The Guinness is brewed in Malaysia.
Liffey water ??

Does anyone ever go there anymore? I never seem to see much life when I drive past, and last week at a packed-out Dan Ryan’s lunchtime I nipped out for snouts and the Shannon had a whole two people in. I almost felt sorry for them. Of course I didn’t.

I watched the rugby there last weekend. Wish I hadn’t. They’ve been out of Kilkenny and Harp for almost a month (as far as my memory serves) though they had the audacity to say they’d sold out. Technically true I guess. Forced to squander next month’s wages on Guiness - which I’m not really a fan of).

The manager’s off to Shanghai next month so I’m not surprised it’s running down. No news of a replacement anytime soon.

Stuff the farking place. It sneeks into your wallet and tears those blue notes to shreds.

HG

Sandman, I know you typed this months ago, but I just read it over my lunch, which I nearly shot all over the computer screen in laughter.

I have a friend who has owned several pubs in Taipei and wants to open one in the Taipei 101 building. I’m going to pass along your suggestion. I think he’ll love it. :smiley: .

I stopped off for a drink at Dan Ryans last Saturday night and The Shannon was full and hopping. Dan Ryan’s was fairly subdued.

Only because they saw you coming, Fox. Soon as you left, the entire bar decamped straight back to Dan Ryan’s to continue from where they left off.

Malaya Guinness ? One born every minute !

Doesn’t anyone have anything good to say about this place?

I was there on Friday night, celebrating a career move with my team. Had the fish and chips. Not a bad deal at NT$340.

But by god the drinks are expensive. Almost NT$300 for the black stuff.

It was packed btw.

Saturday was also packed but the band sucks (and plays too loud). My friend told the floor manager and she said they are trying them out. The band which used to play on Fridays until recently was so much better, in particular the guy who could play the guitar with his teeth!
The food is IMHO good (most of my friends would agree with that). Not cheap but not expensive - reasonable I would say. The imported beer is on the expensive side but you can have others for less - but you can’t have the imported beer for less anywhere else me thinks. :wink:

Sunday brunch is hard to beat for NT$350. There’s a roast + everything you could want for breakfast (eggs are done the way you want them). Includes coffee and a glass of champagne too. One of the better all-day breakfasts I’ve come accross here.