The Singapore Myth

Hopefully this can help.

HG

They still haven’t found him. Every day they don’t find him, the country becomes a laughing stock in Asia, which is fitting because their press/officials/public in general often like to claim superiority over other Asian countries. Read their papers and you’ll see that every problem in neighbouring countries is criticized in depth, but never the home-grown problems. You don’t see prisoners escaping from terrorist detention centres in the West :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I mean, if this is what Lee Kuan Yew professes when he means “Asian values”, then Western values are clearly superior. :smiley: You would think having the highest salaries in the world (they make over US$ 1 million a year) would make the Cabinet Ministers in Singapore more capable in (A) keeping this guy secure; and (b) catching him before he left the island.

I’m sure these mini-stars (these arrogrant pricks actually call themselves that) won’t even resign after this debacle (as proper or real Chinese would) or even take a pay cut. I mean, they always show their disdain for the free-wheeling and chaotic governments from Western democracies that make their leaders accountable for every little thing.

I hope they catch this terrorist prick, but I hope it is a civilian (a blue-collar worker would be even better or a struggling taxi driver making 1500 Sing dollars/month) that catches him or police from another jurisdiction.

Glad to see a Singaporean is questioning his own country’s terrorist-fighting credentials.

atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_ … 8Ae02.html

Singapore…the only country where the government is more intelligent and progressive than its people

Intelligent–if you buy into the “Asian values” form of cultural relativism. I certainly don’t and found many of their politicians to be quite smug and arrogant about their country, especially the younger generation of leaders who were born after the transformation from a 3rd world country to a 1st world one. Progressive—I fail to see how any Leninist party structure (as the PAP is) could be described as progressive. I’ve lauded Singapore in the past for having top-rate infrastructure and for enacting human resource development policies that are very foreigner friendly. But it ain’t progressive.

Intelligent–if you buy into the “Asian values” form of cultural relativism. I certainly don’t and found many of their politicians to be quite smug and arrogant about their country, especially the younger generation of leaders who were born after the transformation from a 3rd world country to a 1st world one. Progressive—I fail to see how any Leninist party structure (as the PAP is) could be described as progressive. I’ve lauded Singapore in the past for having top-rate infrastructure and for enacting human resource development policies that are very foreigner friendly. But it ain’t progressive.[/quote]

1. It’s relative 2) The Singaporeans have become fat cows that expect the gov. to solve everything for them. They’re more concerned about Gurmit

Singapore’s PM spewing complete nonsense.

Unlike HK and Taiwan, young Singaporeans will never protest because they have housing.

HDB flats would turn me into Trotsky

:rofl:

1 Like

The theory goes that LKY made bureaucrat salaries high, so that they would have much less incentive to be corrupt and take bribes in whatever department/bureau they work in.

I found the original post @HipU

The biggest myth about Singapore is that “affordable” housing and higher wages improve natality.

Newsflash: Singapore’s fertility rate is a whopping UNO, aka the same as Taiwan, and that’s factoring in its Indian and Muslim communities, i.e., super religious people, which account for 1/4 of SG’s population.

My experience of Singapore is a predatory society. Sure it’s fun for me to travel on the SMRT. Even with all those signs everywhere about men touching women I was constantly groped by women. And there were no signs warning about that.

Singaporeans just try and get through their day. Public servants might make reasonable wages but everyone else is run off their feet making ends meet.

Then there’s the westerners that essentially fly in and work in finance for a year or two. They’ll come from pretty much anywhere. They roam the streets in these kind of suited up wolf packs. Thinking they’re alpha males that try and get girls drunk so they can take advantage of them. Even easier if those girls aren’t Singaporean as they have virtually no rights and the authorities basically say it was their fault for getting drunk and leading the men on.

I had the displeasure of having an M16 jammed in my ribs. All to ask me for my passport and travel documents. Perhaps they thought I was someone else. Who knows. But that tells you what Singapore is. A quasi police state that’s open to the highest bidder. Where laws are applied selectively.

Are the users of this site surprisingly attractive? What’s with all the groping stories? :rofl:

2 Likes

Worked there and left disgusted. Those of us that are not kiasu or nouveau riche were turned off by how they treat dissidents.

J. B. Jeyaretnam - Wikipedia

1 Like