The slippery slope

I sometimes get uncomfortable when I see too many white people too. Sort of a reverse culture shock kind of thing. Now telling them to leave is whole different matter entirely.

2 Likes

brave&stunning.

bovine&stunning.

2 Likes

At least she had a friendlier tone than this young woman.

2 Likes

This is four years old. ◉_◉

Not the usual outlier anecdote but a downward slope nonetheless

Why would it double in a year?

Probably because the Adl is looking for some extra donations.

3 Likes

That’s possible, but I think unlikely. Oren Segal puts it down to a drop in white supremacist events presumably forcing white supremacist groups to use other methods. The headline could easily be about a 22% drop (91 to 71 year on year) in white supremacist events, which would imply a great success. In 2018 the ADL were reporting an increase in white supremacist events combined with an increase in propaganda.

One of the problems is the numbers are very low. Another is how the ADL are collating the information. There could well be an increased awareness of the need to report white supremacist propaganda - or even how to do it. I think percentage increases are misleading with figures as low as this.

Assuming the figures are correct, I don’t see how any of the usual suspects, such as Trump’s rhetoric, is particularly different to 2018.

My guess is it involves definitions and reporting sources. Additionally, I wonder how they distinguish the wave of anti-Semitic propaganda and attacks from the black community and those from the white supremacists.

1 Like

The main issue for me is the low numbers. If they started getting separated into different identity groups attacking other identity groups the numbers would become tiny.

I’d prefer actual police reports. I know that some people are reluctant to make complaints to the police, but at least they are verifiable. At this point we have a reported 120% increase in white supremacy propaganda that has no logical reason for the increase and is easily questionable.

IMO dramatic press releases such as these don’t help.

There was a website that in 2016 started tracking the amount of fake hate crimes. I can’t remember its name/address, but the list was endless and it focused exclusively on events that were reported as hate crimes and turned out to be fake. For example, all the stories about muslism girls in the Us who were on the bus/mrt and some Trump supporter took their burqa away, or the case of swastikas showing up on a synagogue and it turned out it was the rabbi himself who drew them, or the Church attended mainly by a black community that was set on fire and had racist insults left on the wall and it turned out the culprit was one of the black people who attend it etc etc.
If to that list of fake hate crimes we add all those that cannot be verified, such as wonky swastikas left overnight on a wall with no witnesses, anonymous messages etc etc, the list actual real hate crimes would be far shorter than what the Adl and similar organization show, and that would go against their own interest.

I mean, the smollet shitshow ended up on the front page of all mainstream media outlets as a CLEAR SIGN of the nefarious hate crimes perpetrated by Sdrumpf’s unhinged supporters, and then…oopsies, they were two nigerian actors and the whole thing never happened, but the smear/outrage machine had already done its job.

1 Like

Were all the examples you’ve provided reported to the police and therefore eventually verified?

The swastika graffiti one is different from the example I gave you because I can’t find the episode where it was the rabbi doing it.

3 Likes

Verifiable police reports are preferable. As you quoted me saying.

That’s racist. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Posted that just one year ago.
site still adding data.

1 Like

I literally typed “fake hate crimes” on Google because I thought that was the name, and Google didn’t give the result that was what-i-typed followed by .com
No sign of that website within the first 5 pages of Google results, while it’s obviously the first result when looking for it on Bing.

“Exposing fake hate crimes? not on our search engine!” -> Kinda activates my almonds

1 Like

Google has made great strides since its “do no evil” days. :sunglasses:

top one on duckduckgo and firefox.

2 Likes

That’s nonsense