The Taipei Times' letter writers - who are they?

The Taipei Times repeatedly publishes the letters of a select group of individuals who lean deep green.

They include:

• Paul Lin

• Huang Jei-hsuan

• Charles Hong

To name a few.

Who are these people, and if they are so passionate about Taiwan’s localization, why are they based in the United States?

They’re ac-dropout’s evil twin. I’m pretty sure they’re also all the same person writing under different names.

Wasn’t Paul Lin the token homosexual on the Hollywood Squares in the 70s?

Well then he can’t be ac then. Ac has made it very clear on numerous occasions that he is not a homosexual.

I have met Paul Lin and his wife on numerous occasions. His academic background is “the history of the Communist Party of China.”

I believe he did live in the USA for a number of years. The New York area if my memory serves me correctly.

My own interest leans more toward American history, and US constitutional jurisprudence, so we rarely find much to talk about.

It was Paul Lind on Hollywood Squares…and I think he died a few years back. Very funny guy.

I can tell you one person whose letters to the editor the Taiwan eng-lish language rags [i]never[/i] publish…MINE!

Bastids.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]It was Paul Lind on Hollywood Squares…and I think he died a few years back. Very funny guy.

I can tell you one person whose letters to the editor the Taiwan eng-lish language rags [i]never[/i] publish…MINE!

Bastids.[/quote]

Lind was a great wit. Can’t help but think of him every time I see a Paul Lin letter. Of course they don’t make me laugh. Not like Elmer Fung’s.

BTW, do you really write letters to TT, TC?

I’ve written to all three of them. Not obsessively but a couple a month for my first 3 years here. General observations and not at all objectionable for any of the reasons that might be imagined.

Kind of hoped it might evolve into a steady ‘foreigner’ column at some point. Even shopped the idea a bit back in the states.

Nothing…nada…zip…only one of the rags even sent me a reply once. And that was only to tell me to send my stuff to a different ‘editor.’ Who I never heard from.

And then I see the TT running that useless frequent ‘foreigner’ column it has…what a waste of dead trees and bandwidth that one is…oh well.

Taiwan media is accused of a lot of things…quality is not one of them.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I can tell you one person whose letters to the editor the Taiwan eng-lish language rags [i]never[/i] publish…MINE!

Bastids.[/quote]

:laughing: Poor TC.

One time, all seven or so of the letters published were from me. :smiley:

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]I can tell you one person whose letters to the editor the Taiwan eng-lish language rags [i]never[/i] publish…MINE!

Bastids.[/quote]

:laughing: Poor TC.
One time, all seven or so of the letters published were from me. :smiley:[/quote]

I didn’t know one could simply submit individual letters and they’d publish them.
Did you have to capitalize them?

A, B, C…etc.

Wow…learn something every day.

You can use different names. A chap I know here in HK has a field day arguing with himself in the SCMP. The eds at the SCMP know what’s going on but his letters are well written, don;t require any edits and so they happily pop them in.

HG

HGC -
That’s not an uncommon occurrence as one might think.

I have seen that happen in a professional journal and 2 newspapers over the years.
In one of the dailies, it went on for almost 3 years before the guy made what was a revealing comment at a bar and it was heard by someone who knew an editor at the paper. Many wrote in asking that the charade be turned into a weekly or monthly feature. They wouldn;t do it. Wounded egos and all that.

I am wondering why the letters in the TT always have the same tired political slant.

Wouldn’t it behoove them to occasionally print a thoughtful letter that expressed a different opinion than the usual?

They also regularly print letters by this foreigner Ben Goren who apparently has the same disdain for the KMT as the TT’s editorial staff.

TaiwanCowboy, you in Taiwan, you’re not Taiwanese, why would they print your letters? Besides, you’re not a figment of someone’s imagination, unlike Dragonbones.

Don’t give me any funny ideas.

Or next thing you’ll know you be reading some green slanted editorials by Andrew Chang from Dewdrop, LA in TT.

:laughing:

Well, yeah, there’s that.

I know Lee Long-hwa but I’m not going to out him.

They’re all from America? Probably because… well how good is the English education in Taiwan? Oh wells, not to say they suck at it, but in general kids don’t find it that important versus… whatever it is that kids do nowadays.

I’ve written a few letters to the Taipei Times, most of which weren’t intended for publication. One was, and it was indeed published … after someone there inserted mistakes. :s

The TT has published every letter I’ve sent to them, although that probably only amounts to about ten letters over a few years.