The Taiwan Salary Increases Thread

Some rubbishy pie in the sky stat.

Take govt salary stats and all income from Taiwan (DGBAS) and salary and all income stats from Korea and compare. That’s the reality.

I know you like to big up Taiwan but I’m not actually selecting figures. I’m showing the high and low income estimates from government sites.

Everything I see is Korea at 1.5-2x for average income (mostly salary).

Median income to reach come to a consensus probably trickier due to part-time workers.

2 Likes

WHERE IS YOUR SOURCE FOR ANYTHING?

“Everything I see” is not a source.

That’s not a median comparison.

If you look up the GDP/capita from the IMF it’s not that different.

Why are you so Godamn lazy I even posted the articles for you.

That $11K median figure is super hokey.

It’s not in the articles.

Show me where it says Taiwan’s average is $17K or median is $11K. Show me.

The median figure comes up different in different stats even from the govt. The govt doesn’t seem to like publicising the median too much.

But the average income it’s , pretty much fixed on 500k-650k in Taiwan. As you know if you check all the stats and articles.

Translation: You still have no source.

I read through those articles you linked.

The sources in English usually adjust for purchasing power so it looks higher. If you Google in Korean, the ROK official sources say Korea’s average wage is around 36 million won (900k TW$). The median is around 26 million won (650k TW$), which is maybe 30-40% higher. It corresponds to what Koreans make in my experience.

And household income in Korea and in Taiwan are pretty similar according to Taiwan and Korea’s official stats.

1 Like

That’s much better. The sources I cited didn’t adjust for purchasing power.

Here are the IMF’s figures for 2020.

Per capita GDP is 32K for Korea and 29K for Taiwan.

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/NGDPDPC@WEO/OEMDC/ADVEC/WEOWORLD/KOR/TWN

Yes, exactly - everyone else is talking average incomes (so average incomes are a useful comparison, and a mean income would be a logical comparison to bring up as well), but gni per capita? Makes no sense. GNI per cap might be useful for talking about the countries wealth or standard of living, but not so much about salaries, as things like workforce participation, demographics, etc now become part of the discussion.

No no no…None of pp bullshit please.
Apples to apples

What is your understanding of what GNI is?

Why would you speculate this about a stranger you’ve never met?

1 Like

You cited GNI per capita. So you’re using a number applied to total population

How is that possible if both average and median income in Korea is way higher than Taiwan?

Is it because Taiwan households simply include more people ?

Right, so how is per capita not an average?

He was making claims that Taiwan’s incomes were only half what they are in Korea, both average and median.

His 17K mean and 11K median whoppers for Taiwan aren’t supported in any of the links he provided.

Yes they are stop spoofing.
Comparing the average between Korean and Taiwan govt stats 1.5x-2.0x Korea to Taiwan.

I don’t understand Korean, only recognize a few words.

The first word is 2018年, or the year 2018.

The ten bars apparently represent the household income of the ten deciles in Korea.

Since the exact median isn’t known, we take the pseudo median by the average of the 5th and 6th deciles, which is 2,649.

And I think the unit is man won in the right hand corner is 萬元, which means 26,490,000 won.

Which is about 23,570 $US.