The Taiwan Weather Thread 2017

why are people angry?

I’m 99.9999% sure that it’s going to rain in Taipei very soon, like now.

Huh. I don’t recall Danshui getting hit so hard when Taipei City isn’t getting much rain. It was heavy heavy rain here last night, from roughly 3am to 7am; and it’s been constant and heavy again from about 9am, still ongoing three hours later. There’s not much wind, but certainly typhoon-level rain, and a fair bit of thunder and lightning.

I’ve filled up a few buckets and pots as well, just in case we lose water.

We’ve had seepage but nothing serious through windows in our apartment - that’s only happened twice before in the ten years we’ve lived here, both times for typhoons.

The warning came too late, they say.

三芝石門金山停班課 新北市府挨轟太晚宣布
https://tw.news.yahoo.com/三芝石門金山停班課-新北市府挨轟太晚宣布-025831680.html

Seems there was a glitch with the nuclear reactor?
https://tw.news.yahoo.com/新北超大豪雨電塔倒下-核一2號機跳機-033123983.html

154 mil in Neihu in the last hour - that’s totally nuts!

This is a major weather event

Taipei, June 2 (CNA) Parts of the northern city of New Taipei were flooded Friday as a hovering front and southwesterly airstream dumped heavy rain across Taiwan.

As of 8:30 a.m. Friday, flooding had been reported in 43 locations in the city’s Danshui, Sanzhi, Shimen, Jinshan and Wanli districts, the city government said.

Some schools in Shimen, Jinshan, Wanli and Sanzhi districts have also been closed, it said.

The Central Weather Bureau (CWB) warned Friday that the moist weather system will bring downpours all over Taiwan, with torrential rain or extremely torrential rain likely on the northern coast.

Any news on when this thing is going to start tapering off?

When @Rocket confesses he’s a raccoon.

Because CWB gives weather warnings the way some people put on the indicator only when they have started turning the corner

They had their max rain warning set at 50 mil for the north - the storm exceeded that in the first half-hour.

It’s now up to 635mm on the north coast

LOL. Then surely you must have seen the sky dark or darker than this when a typhoon rolls through in the daytime.

Whole new taipei city?

Yeah, that was eerie. I had all the lights on in the house at like 10:00 in the morning.

Pretty fucked up situation in Keelung and the north coast. There’s a video of a taxi driver escaping from the taxi… in the middle of a street turned into river…

I guess any hiking is out the question this weekend, even if the rain were to stop. Probably too muddy.

I wanted to hike and ride. I guess I’m going to download 30 movies instead.

Not yet. Who wants to bet we’ll get tomorrow off? Anyone?

I was telling that a coworker, but he says that’s not likely to happen./

Probably you’ll be washed away by a flashflood and show up in Cleveland a week later.

They’ve issued a specific flood warning for my street but I guess they mean the low-lying parts where the plebs live, not Lane 600 where us gentry are.

No mountain activities, please! In Taiwan, in this sort of rain, people can and do get killed–mudslides, surging rivers, etc.

Guy