The Taiwan Weather Thread 2022

I could buy some dal, LOL.

I’ve lost my touch for cooking. Everything is coming out yuck, even the rice. Sigh.

Peanut butter and honey (or jam) on a bagel?

Filling, and difficult to get wrong

1 Like

Something like dal is so easy, you can’t overcook it and even when it is mush it is good. Start by underseasoning, have a taste, add more dry spices as necessary, wait, taste, add, and so on. I wish I’d had more limes and coriander on hand, but i threw in a can of chicken stock and a punch of dried onion flakes to get it over the edge. Not my best work (haven’t found garam masala or mustard seeds yet), but totally edible. I flavor chili the same way, over a sunday afternoon at home. My last pot of chili i used a lot of beef stock to get it up to par for flavor.

Don’t forget the salt

2 Likes

Oops. Trinity Indian groceries is definitely a place we should have recommended while you were in Taipei.

2 Likes

No worries,i didn’t have exotic spices on my to do list that trip!

1 Like

Pretty sure you can buy those on Shopee anyway, or order online from Trinity if it’s enough (they definitely have both of those - have some in my cupboard).

3 Likes

I have the exotic spices from my land. Alas, the end result is not a delicious nostalgic fare.

It’s back. Watch out!

Extremely Heavy Rain Advisory

Issued Time: 05/25 14:30

1. Nantou County Mountain Area, Chiayi County Mountain Area, Heavy Rain Advisory or Extremely Heavy Rain Advisory in effect from early this afternoon (05/25) through tonight (05/25)

2. Keelung North Coast, Taipei City, New Taipei City, Taoyuan City, Hsinchu City, Hsinchu County, Miaoli County, Taichung City Mountain Area, Nantou County, Yunlin County Mountain Area, Tainan City Mountain Area, Kaohsiung City Mountain Area, Pingtung County, Hengchun Peninsula, Hualien County Mountain Area, Heavy Rain Advisory in effect from early this afternoon (05/25) through tonight (05/25)

Guy

2 Likes

Also my kitchen.

1 Like

Well, it’s still misty, foggy and a bit drizzly, but at least it’s not a straight downpour for 12 to 24 hours straight! It’s not windy, but it’s very humid. Baishawan looks like you could water ski on it it’s so smooth.

6 Likes

:unamused:

6 Likes
5 Likes

I have concluded that the reason I have a job is to keep me off the street and away from this relentless pounding rain.

Put otherwise: it’s nice to be indoors. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

With coffee. :coffee:

3 Likes

Drinking a cup of Cuban as we speak.

Guy

3 Likes

Pounding up on the north coast again!

The short morning respite was nice.

3 Likes

Yes! Calm and clear—what a feeling, however brief.

Guy

Mood:

4 Likes

I need not have worried. Proper plum rains this year

1 Like

This year, Taipei is definitely living up (down?) to its usually undeserved reputation of constant rain.

1 Like