The Toughest SOB Ever

[quote=“M0NSTER”]Ken Baumgartner
[/quote]

Met him and hung out over a drink once. Biggest hands I have ever seen.

And I’ve also met Lennox Lewis :wink:

[quote=“shifty”]Loathe is the day that a man with such refined tastes as yourself is relegated by boredom to write blow by blows of WWF matches. JD run for your life the mundanes are coming to get you!

I pray for you brother. You have a friend in Jesus, or maybe not.

:wink:[/quote]
I appreciate your concern. Thankfully, I am still at large when it comes to Jesus.

Mother Theresa wrote
[quote]
The problem with pro-wrestling, jdsmith, is that it’s phoney and all sane adults know that. Yes they do some impressive stunts, yes I’m sure it’s tough work and one could easily get injured, but so much of it is fake that it’s hard to tell what’s real about it and what’s not.[/quote]
I don’t know about that. An arm bar is fake. A Ric Flair chop to the chest is real. A Hulk Hogan leg drop is fake. The impact of a powerbomb is not. I think the coolest thing about wrestling is that, as professionals, they are actively trying to NOT hurt each other, while trying to give the fans the impression they are. Anyway, let’s not get too sidetracked…

I think the pioneers were mega tough. I mentioned the bare knuckles boxers a while back. I remember reading about one guy who was in an 18 round fight. There’s no way you could NOT be injured in that kind of fight. I guess that why Foley is still on top of my list: he COULD have quit, but he didn’t.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]The problem with pro-wrestling, jdsmith, is that it’s phoney and all sane adults know that. Yes they do some impressive stunts, yes I’m sure it’s tough work and one could easily get injured, but so much of it is fake that it’s hard to tell what’s real about it and what’s not. I think that’s why a lot of folks, like myself, aren’t terrible interesting in it or impressed by it. And it’s made worse because they act like, “no, you don’t understand it really is real,” which only makes me less interested in it because they’re liars and fakes.

So, I agree that looked crazy jumping off the roof twice like that and getting slammed down on a bunch of thumbtacks, but I’d rather vote for someone doing something that I know is 100% authentic – no BS, no tricks, no fraud.

[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo:
absolutely the way i feel,i can’t believe how peoples can’t see it’s fake,that really makes me cringe

what’s disturbing also is that those hardcore fans won’t accept that MMA and pride ARE the real deal.

i see a parallel to religion and atheism there,how surprising…

JD,did you take an X-ray of the guy after the match,or you just went along with his account of “facts”???

my submission is this

filecabi.net/video/can1986.html

Very inspirational video clip. Really makes the subject of the original post look like a vain-macho retard. The elder Hoyt is deserving of admiration.

BroonAdmiration

[quote=“BroonAle”]Very inspirational video clip. Really makes the subject of the original post look like a vain-macho retard. The elder Hoyt is deserving of admiration.

BroonAdmiration[/quote]
I’d be proud if I could be a twentieth of the father Hoyt seems to be. That wrestler dude is just a clown without the gumption to know when to stop.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“BroonAle”]Very inspirational video clip. Really makes the subject of the original post look like a vain-macho retard. The elder Hoyt is deserving of admiration.

BroonAdmiration[/quote]
I’d be proud if I could be a twentieth of the father Hoyt seems to be. That wrestler dude is just a clown without the gumption to know when to stop.[/quote]

I think I posted a clip about that guy a while back. And I agree, he’s a tough one, physically and mentally.

I don’t want to get too hung up on the wrestler guy though. Their are many kinds of toughness, and many kinds of physical toughness too. I suppose I was thinking overcoming physical pain, and not thinking of endurance pain or mental anguish.

I did once read about a monk who having cancer was hospitalised for months. He never accepted any kind of painkiller as he said it would interfer with his meditations. Only after his leg was amputated would he accept one, and that was not at his own request, but at the request of his fellow monks, who, knowing he was in agonizing pain, also knew he would never give in.

Thinking of him just now, pushes Mick Foley down a notch or 10.

I wonder if this guy is too a “clown without the gumption to know when to stop?”

I mean, when does continuing to fight (whatever the fight may be) cross the line in people’s eyes?

[quote=“jdsmith”]

I mean, when does continuing to fight (whatever the fight may be) cross the line in people’s eyes?[/quote]

risking the wheelchair in order to have 30.000 more rednecks and hillbillies have your poster hung on their bedroom walls,that’s pathetic

in the case of this dad,i don’t think any of his action would ever seem OTT to anyone,he’d even give his heart(literally) so that his kid would go-on :bravo: :bravo:

Right. I think the frog nails it. The monk is bearing pain out the courage of his convictions, misguided though that might be. The TV guy is just looking for some extra bucks. Hard? Sure, maybe. But to me he’s on the same level as that Jackass bloke. They’re not famous because they’re admirable, they’re famous because they’re professional arseholes.

A man like Hoyt, though, is in a class of his own.

Are we applying moral relativity to toughness? :laughing:

[quote=“dablindfrog”]my submission is this

filecabi.net/video/can1986.html[/quote]

Strike a light that thickened my throat. :noway:

From Wikipedia:

:notworthy:

Hoyt beats the fake pro-wrestling monkeys hands down any day in my book. :bravo:

You might enjoy this show JD-

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=225229

[quote=“dablindfrog”]risking the wheelchair in order to have 30.000 more rednecks and hillbillies have your poster hung on their bedroom walls,that’s pathetic

[/quote]

Well said. The obsession in some parts of the world (trailer parks) for these vain pricks is pathetic and rather sad. In America though, too many poor saps lap up the illusion of macho invincibility that these ‘professional arseholes’ promote. Must be a bit of a shock when one joins up, ships out and gets shot at.

BroonAchilles

Foley is def the toughest SOB, but for dragging his poor kids (both under 12) to matches with him. And they were CRYING.

Paris Hilton

She spent, like, almost half a week in a jail.

That takes physical, emotional and psychological toughness to the extreme.

Chesty Puller

He was in most of my bedtime stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesty_Puller

“You don’t hurt 'em if you don’t hit 'em.”

• Lieutenant-General Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller

i like this one best

“Where do you put the bayonet?” (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]He was in most of my bedtime stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesty_Puller[/quote]

I’ll nominate his son. From the above link: