The Town Bully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsD5gfamlI

2 Likes

Interesting video, but just to be clear, my ā€œlikeā€ doesnā€™t mean that I liked the killing of the bully.

1 Like

The preacher said it was ok

He certainly did.

I love this kinda stuff, but how did you even find this?

Fascinating. Human nature, you threaten enough people someday they will turn on you.
Looks like they took care of the problem before he finally killed somebody.

The preacher was pretty interesting ā€˜I was waiting for him to put the clip in the gunā€¦ā€™

Just happened to pop up on youtube.

Iā€™m not saying I liked it per seā€¦ but I wouldnā€™t have turned in the killer either.

Guess this case has a fair bit of notoriety. At least enough for a wiki page.

Kitty Genovese, inverted

1 Like

The sad part is that the law let it escalate to that point. I had a debate in another thread about preemptively removing assholes - people who were demonstrably wrecking the neighbourhood - until such time as they were able to play nice. After that conversation, I got an interesting book by Steven Pinker (ā€œThe Better Angels of our Natureā€) in which he touches on the mechanics of frontier ā€œjusticeā€ and how it plays out in situations like this, where the long arm of the law isnā€™t nearly long enough.

If McElroy had been simply ā€œremovedā€ at the first opportunity (as per my debate in the Venezuela thread) heā€™d still be alive today, presumably in the company of his fuckwit wife, and everyone would have been happy.

Steven King wrote a scene very much like it (McElroy, not Genovese). Canā€™t remember which book it was, so canā€™t be sure if it was before or after 1981.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a documentary I saw about chimps where they also turned on the clan bully, will try to dig it up.

1 Like

I heard itā€™s quite common for aging Alpha Males in the animal kingdom to get exiled or killed once the other members in its tribe see it canā€™t provide for them, or lead them anymore. Or if theyā€™re just sick of the alphaā€™s shit.