The true cost of a DUI/DWI

JDS mentionted that it was 200,000.
I recently heard from someone else it was 160,000.
I’d always thought it was closer to 60,000.
Does anyone know what it really is?
Link?

NT$30k to NT$60k was the fine for being half tanked in the bad old days… They passed a new law at the end of December last year upping the max drunk driving fine to NT$150k… but that’s just the “blood alcohol fine”, the accompanying charges and fines quickly add up to a lot of money…

[quote]The change to the law on drunk driving stipulates heavier fines for offenders.

Under the former regulations, the legal limit for a driver’s blood-alcohol level was 0.25mg per liter. If a driver’s blood-alcohol level exceeded 0.25mg per liter, he or she faced a fine of between NT$15,000 (US$460) and NT$60,000 – depending on the type of vehicle driven and the blood alcohol content measured.

If a driver’s blood alcohol content exceeded 0.55mg per liter, he or she would be charged with the inability to drive safely, which carried either a maximum one-year jail sentence or a maximum fine of NT$30,000.

The new regulations punish serious drunk drivers with both imprisonment and a fine, stipulating that if a driver’s blood alcohol level exceeds 0.55mg per liter, he or she could face up to one-year in prison as well as a fine of up to NT$150,000.

As a result, should an offender receive a six-month sentence (the maximum length of sentence that can be commuted to a fine), and commutes the term to a fine, the offender would face paying a fine of up to NT$690,000.

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003395865
[/quote]

my guy was at .56. haha

dick

so, plas, can you go to the lexus thread and tell me more about how I can deal with this guy, and his boss who owns the truck concerning insurance and me not having to pay for the damage myself, or using my own insurance which would result in higher premiums?

please. :smiley:

As for actual application of said penalties, it’s usually dependent on location, and one’s willingness to role play for a few hands in order to obtain maximum leverage in lowering the fine.
Who knows, now that the KMT has a free hand, maybe the amount of the fine will be reversed to the previous amount. Just like the speed traps. Smart politricks…

Does anyone know what happens to foreigners in Taiwan when charged with DUI?

The true cost of a DUI is often lives lost, and incalculable grief and suffering.

You beat me to it. That’s pretty much what I was going to say too.

man, fines here make the States DUI look like a walk in the park. dmv.org/ut-utah/automotive-law/dui.php

sure beats $20K in fines

[quote=“lata”]man, fines here make the States DUI look like a walk in the park. dmv.org/ut-utah/automotive-law/dui.php

sure beats $20K in fines[/quote]

Maybe in Utah…But don’t get caught anywhere else. these figures don’t include your own attorney fees for a first offense in California.

1st DUI Offense - What to expect!
[color=darkblue]1 hour in cuffs
4 hours in jail
3 hours getting car back
2 days at the DMV
2 days picking up highway trash
2 nights DUI Victim Impact Panel
15 weeks DUI class
4 months without a license
3 years probation
7 years with 2 points on driving record
$5,294 in assessment, fees, & fines $187 for towing & storage
$156 booking, finger printing, and photo fee
$100 license reinstatement
$2,700 car insurance increase
$480 DUI fine
$816 assessment for the court system
$44 community service fee
$100 for DUI Victim’s fund
$50 toward Alcohol Education Fund
$1 night court fee
$550 DUI class
$20 VUI Victim’s Impact sessions
$35 time payment charge
$10 DMV file search charge
$5,294: TOTAL[/color]

I would rather pay the $5,294: TOTAL versus the 650,000NT here. Still thats so much for the States. I remember when i was in High school, the fine for first offense in utah was only $400 and a tend a $100 class.

I would not pay either.

if I go drinking in say Taipei, I can some 400 one hour taxi rides back for what it would cost to get busted. Won’t have to pay gas or parking either.

Not only is DUI reckless, it does not even make financial sense.

The fine depends on the amount you are over the limit.

Your bike/car gets impounded
you go to the ticket office in taipei pay 15k - 150k
your licence is taken away
you go to the impound and pick up your bike
then you have a 8 hour class (on health, road rules and some other shit)
then after a year you get your licence back.

(this is for the lowest 0.25 or something like that)

anything higher it can be longer suspension, court date or even jail time. (not very often do they give you jail time)