The TRUE Power Of Social Media

It’s all fun & games until someone loses an eye.

Says the King.

OK. Money is awesome and everything, but the focus of this thread was suppose to be “The TRUE Power of Social Media.” :wink:

Some of you guys don’t seem to get it yet, but I actually learned ALL of my “social media” skill right here on Forumosa. Everything and everyone I know related to Taiwan I got from this website (and I know quite a bit right now). Forumosa is a POWERFUL tool that most seem to use for venting, ranting, trolling, etc. Once you realize that being all of these posts are REAL people doing REAL things and this website can facilitate connecting you to them… Things should change. I know business owners, lawyers, SERIOUS entrepreneurs, etc. all because of my interactions with this website. I’ve also been given an endless supply of information about a number of topics, all for free!

I don’t think most people get involved enough in the website to see what I see, but for those that do or have, understanding the power of social media shouldn’t be too hard.

Using Forumosa it takes a long time to figure out if someone is a person you want to meet, then it takes even longer to meet that person in person and create a REAL connection with them.

In the social media space you can seek out and connect with the kind of people you’re looking for at LIGHTNING SPEED! This is what I’m excited about. Not making fake connections on Linkedin to make you’re numbers high and feel important. But REAL connections.

Get it?

I have a lawyer in Milwaukee that offered to help me with the businesses I’m setting up in exchange for my specific knowledge of social networks (he’s a really good lawyer that a lot of businesses in the communities I roll around in use). I got [my T-Shirts printed for free] (on nice American Apparel brand shirts too) because of connections I’ve made using this “social media” stuff (and they’re going to sell them for me on their website).

I know MT said “Yeah, but that’s you Casey, everyone can’t do that.” And… That might be true in some years, but what I’m here to say now is anyone that decides, today, to REALLY learn this stuff (not the “hype”) will profit greatly from it. And it’s unfortunate that when I say profit so many people’s mind gravitate towards money…

I was manic one day and [wrote this blog post about making money online.] It’s pretty rough, but I think there’s some good stuff in there. If a persona continually learns and works on making money online, you’ll figure it out.

All my rant energy is gone… lol

Anyhow, I wanted to bring the focus of the thread back to this “social media” phenomenon.

I have a friend here, who was working for Microsoft and now works for a company called [Razorfish]. I haven’t read it yet (just scanned through it) but I printed out at 100+ page paper they released breaking down this stuff I’m hype about (from a marketing standpoint, they call what things are moving toward [Social Influence Marketing]). You can check out that report here: [Digital Outlook Report].

If you’re a naysayer and read this far FUCK OFF! lol I’m not interested in trying to convince you of anything. Go crawl back into your “The world sucks!” cave and pat yourself on the back for not wasting your time with this stupid “social media” stuff.

I just the other day (and I need to clean that post up too…) did [a blog post about the Social Influence Marketing stuff]. Don’t think this stuff is real? Ford ready to give 100 people a 2011 Ford Fiesta to drive for 6 months and talk to their audience about it (I just uploaded a video entry the other day :slight_smile: ).

What is driving me to share all of this stuff here is because I feel like I owe it to the community (a community that kind of “raised” me through my young adult years in Taiwan).

The world does not suck, it just operates outside of your small paradigm. You’ll go through it.

Good luck!

Stellar comeback. Do you know anything about PPC advertising? I shouldn’t waste my time with an “I’m not useful enough to get attention being positive, so I’m always negative” troll. But here. Do the math:

Two videos. One has [1,317,398 views] the other has [207,485 views]. How much should that be worth?

[quote=“Buttercup”]Miltownkid, you misread my post.

Good luck with your endeavours, whatever the hell they might be.[/quote]
Oh? How was I suppose to have read it? And no luck will be needed, but thanks. :slight_smile:

The world does not suck, it just operates outside of your small paradigm. You’ll go through it.

Good luck![/quote]
I actually strategically place that paragraph there just for you. :wink:

For the record, the only world I’m interested in is mine. That doesn’t mean I don’t understand it’s relationship the greater and other people’s worlds.

You’ll grow out of that. I don’t expect you to understand my viewpoint, and it’s sad that you see me as a ‘worldhater’, as I’m a lot less cynical and aggressive as you come off as, online. You misunderstand a lot of what is communicated to you which is down to your own sollipcism which you mistake for focus. If networking is your interest, you should learn to communicate with people who don’t want anything from you.

You’re being shitty with a stranger because she laughed at your words. Now that’s really meta- :cactus:

Whatever you are offering, I sincerely wish you success. However, it is not new, complex or interesting to the majority of sentient humans and you don’t sound credible or engaging in any way, if you want to be personal. Now off you go and party like it’s 1994, why dontcha?

My last word on this.

Stellar comeback. Do you know anything about PPC advertising? I shouldn’t waste my time with an “I’m not useful enough to get attention being positive, so I’m always negative” troll. But here. Do the math:

Two videos. One has [1,317,398 views] the other has [207,485 views]. How much should that be worth?[/quote]

Two things:

1. A sincere bravo for the number of views but that is not proof of actual revenue. And given that services like AdSense do not release rates, I cannot do the math.

2. It is actually not the case that you are “doing fuck all.”

It didn’t expect you to do actual math, but I would suspect that it would bring a tad more credibility to what I was saying (the advertisement might not show up for you since you’re in Taiwan though).

Yes and no. No because it took a lot of time and dedication on my part to get there. Yes because if I completely stopped doing anything, checks would still come in the mail (but they would obviously dwindle over time).

All I know is that if I was living in Taiwan right now, I wouild be teaching JUST enough to pay me bills, buy beer and keep my scooter up and the rest of my time would be dedicated to figuring out this internet stuff (and going to “sexy” KTV joints :smiley: lol).

Don’t get me wrong and think I’m coming in here to say “Hey everyone! You ALL need to be learning this stuff!” (although I do believe there’s something for everyone). I’m just trying to get the message to the eyes ball those people it would apply to.

Lots of people in Taiwan have the skills and background knowledge to learn this stuff. AND they have the free time to learn it. It takes a lot of time and energy to figure it all out, but (IMO) it’ll be well worth the investment 1-3 years out.

I could also be totally wrong. Who knows. I’m just sharing what I believe in.

Anyway, I hope you make it MK.

Allow me to apologize to Buttercup. It appears I did misread her comment (I read the shit as shit as opposed to “stuff”).

If anyone is really interested, track me down on Facebook, Twitter or with a forum PM.

I’ll quit shaking the tree and only respond to authentic questions/comments from here on out. I promise. :yinyang:

I’m not sure what you mean by the Power of social media, but then again I honestly couldn’t be bothered trying to work through your posts (hard to read, sorry).
I saw your video about the XBox dying or something…well it’s not my cup of tea but I’m sure there are lots of geeks out there who like this stuff :slight_smile: Anyway, I think the money and success for an individual who wants to work in media will come from you getting onto a regular TV network, magazine, radio etc…and doing a program for geeks on there… …therefore the TRUE power of social media might just be to get a foot in the door, that’s all. However the foot in the door would be more to do with your knowledge, personality, drive and video skills though, not really social media.

Yes and no. No because it took a lot of time and dedication on my part to get there. Yes because if I completely stopped doing anything, checks would still come in the mail (but they would obviously dwindle over time).
[/quote]

This is something I can believe and respect. Upfront time and dedication paying off in the long run and then maintaining the business because it would dwindle otherwise. It does not matter to me whether the pay off comes through social media or though Paramount Pictures. I.e. Paramount is not more respectable or valid than social media.

My web design skills are quite… Janky (to say the least). I’ll hopefully attract some help from people with more skills then myself but here’s a (perhaps bad right now) example of what I mean:

icantweet.com/

I want to a page that walks a person through the basics of using Twitter. It needs a lot of work as is BUT if it got to the point where people were going there, learning and walking away better educated, that would be pretty awesome. Even though I’ll be answering questions live right now, the whole process could be further streamlined through the used of a series of emails (ie a video basically saying “Want to learn Twitter, give me your email address.”)

I think this is a pretty cool example because it was thrown together between my last post and now and displays perhaps a small twinge of this “power” I’m so excited about.

Note: I’m “bipolar” and have been managing it without medication for a year and a half now. I get manic every now and then and post a crazy video on YouTube, a crazy message on a web forum (this is one of a few) or… You get the idea. I’m used to it and don’t think much of the “over hype” but it might explain the longer “rants.” Just me getting rid of extra energy. :slight_smile:

And I miss reading it.

Check back more often, ok?

You obviously don’t know Miltownkid. Check it at the door will ya.

Symbiosis and inspiration may have a connection. :laughing:

[quote=“elektronisk”]You obviously don’t know Miltownkid. Check it at the door will ya.
[/quote]

:unamused:

Woo! Thanks to this thread I started a youtube account and one of my videos has 45 views already! When do I get my first cheque?

Just kidding :wink:

I also signed up for google adsense and just downloaded a crapload of illustrator and flash tutorials. My goal this year is to teach myself how to transform my scratchy cartoons into animated stuff + Tshirts.

Thanks for the inspiration. I really thought this was BS at first… :laughing:

I’m not planning to be a huge success at this but at least it has given me something to work on when I’m not entertaining children or playing xbox.

PS: Anyone know a good webhosting service? I signed up for global domans but it seems to be more of a network marketing site and their web templates are awful
www.jamesmarshall.ws

Tubemogul.com allows you to upload to all major vid sites and monitor the popularity of your video is.

I use ICDsoft for hosting. Absolutely no complaints over seven years. I could probably get some kind of discount or referral bonus for sending you there but can’t be bothered figuring out how that works.

For building your site, use a content management system. The most popular are probably Joomla, Drupal, and Wordpress. You download templates (ie design) seperately from the management system, which means that you can change your mind about how you want the site to look without having to start over.

Wordpress can look pretty good:
brianfunshine.com/

Good examples of Joomla sites:
telemarketing.com.tw
rpnyc.org.nz/

Of course, you want to embed your video in your site. I dunno if WP allows that, but it’s easy enough with Joomla: here’s one of my students conquering his shyness.

It’s hard to “get” this stuff without something more “tangible.” Watch what I do with this competition.

I’m going to take a Twitter account that had 0 followers less than 2 weeks ago, and turn it into one that has 1,000s of followers (REAL followers who will be looking forward to the next contest, mission or whatever) with a little bit of creative though, my used Xbox 360 and an intimate knowledge of the tools.

One point of this post is that there aren’t many people out there with an intimate knowledge of the tools and all it takes to get that knowledge is a bit of studying and playing around (plus I’ll answer any questions). People will pay top dollar to people that have this knowledge as well (for the next 2-5 years I’m guessing, then it will be more common). Here’s what I did:

mydeadxbox.com/

Here’s the accounts that will grow because of it:
twitter.com/iCanTweet
twitter.com/MyDeadXbox

I could just keep this stuff “secret” but there’s really no point. That exact model could be replicated (with slight variations) in any number industries and whatnot. It doesn’t have to be contest based either.