The TSMC Thread

TSMC to build cutting-edge R&D center in Taiwan’s Hsinchu

2 Likes

With Samsung waging a price war, I thought the government should subsidize TSMC to make sure it keeps its lead. And now the Huawei ban.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/taiwan-is-said-to-dangle-335-million-to-woo-foreign-chipmakers

If this actually happens TSMC stock gonna explode

1 Like

12% per USN&WR

U.S. shares of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co, the world’s largest contract chip manufacturer, jumped 12%. Intel’s potential surrender in manufacturing means one less competitor for TSMC, and a potential new customer.

https://www.usnews.com/news/technology/articles/2020-07-24/intel-shares-dive-on-apparent-manufacturing-retreat-rival-chip-stocks-jump

Good for tsmc. As former tsmc middle management, I was glad to leave the awful work environment there, but I do miss living in taiwan a lot. Maybe they should pay their workers comparable to companies of its value and size (but I guess there’s no need to since they are doing just fine with their strategy).

2 Likes

Is it that much lower than say Samsung? I heard they pay well but I only talked to Taiwanese about it and well their reference point is basically rock bottom.

1 Like

I don’t know about Samsung, but compared to US and European companies, they pay a little less than half as much (compared to Qualcomm/Broadcom/nvidia as well as asml/Amat) for around the same job grade level (not the same title, which tsmc always uses to say they pay on par with everyone else)

1 Like

The stock bomuses are really good though.

1 Like

Which stock bonuses?

For people working in TSMC. Stock has been on fire too.

Are you sure they pay stock bonuses?

1 Like

yes. usually called restricted stock rewards. You get them after achieving a goal. Simple one could be you finish out the accounting year and are still employed, more difficult ones are having to achieve a sales goal, profit goal, etc.

There are categorically no stock bonuses at tsmc. It’s been that way for about 10 years Or so I think. Something about taiwan law change, but I never really looked into if they were bullshitting me or not. Your profit sharing might slightly reflect how the company is doing but when I meant tsmc pays half of other comparable companies I meant considering all total comp.

Nope. Not at tsmc. At other non taiwan companies, yes.

Taiwanese firms in the olden times gave stock to employees as a year-end bonus, because it was recognized as equity and not an expense until 2008. The Legislative Yuan then changed the Corporate Act in 2011 and allowed restricted stocks as an equity-based reward. Ever since 2011, local firms can give a stock bonus, stock options, and restricted stocks to their employees.

I thought companies in Taiwan stopped paying stock bonuses years ago.

read above.

Ok. Then it is just tsmc l being cheap then and lying to their employees. I’m not surprised. Anyway tsmc does not give stock.

In the early 2000s janitors at TSMC made $70,000 US a year off stock options.

Also: Huawei Schmuawei.