The U.S. 2008 Primary Candidate Election Thread

Chewycorns,
Elaborate on what your point is about Obama’s church. I’m interested as you didn’t post anything under the link. :sunglasses:

On a side note–I used to watch their service via streaming when I first came to Taiwan. Then moved on…

Don’t look now but Romney and Hillary each repeated with wins in Nevada. If you’re scoring at home that’s Romney 2, McCain 1, Huckabee 1 on the Republican side, and Hillary 2 Obama 1 on the Democrat side. The caveat of course is that Nevada isn’t exactly a big electoral vote state, so the upcoming South Carolina primary will carry more weight.

Well, it’s official. Duncan Hunter has dropped out of the US 2008 Presidential race.

“Today we end this campaign” Duncan Hunter

A good man.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Well, it’s official. Duncan Hunter has dropped out of the US 2008 Presidential race.

“Today we end this campaign” Duncan Hunter

A good man.[/quote]

So who you rootin’ for now?

Don’t know yet. Too early for me to declare.

Perhaps Hunter will be pulled in for a VP position with another candidate.

ABH!

Howie Carr is a columnist and radio person in Boston. He has a good and entertaining look at the recent SC primary.

[quote]Evolution of a campaign: Huckster’ 08

The end is near. That theme was no doubt a staple of the sermons of the Rev. Mike Huckabee, although the dope from Hope now refuses to release his fire-and-brimstone perorations.

But the polls before yesterday’s primary in South Carolina were a veritable Book of Revelations that his political Armageddon was just around the corner.

Too bad, because a come-from-behind victory by the former Arkansas governor would have put a real crimp into John McCain’s campaign as the candidates head south for the Florida primary on Jan. 29.

The Huckster was doing all right, I suppose, once one got off the main roads and into the red-dirt redneck districts where, as H.L. Mencken once put it, the howls of holiness are heard in the woods. But overall, the “Christian leader” seemed to know that the wheels were coming off his rusty pickup truck. On the Friday TV liveshots he looked spooked, like one of his favorite snakes had just bitten him.

Earlier in the week the Huckster promised to deport every illegal alien in the country - you know, the same criminals he’d been calling “children of God” a couple of weeks earlier.

It’s one thing to speak in tongues, it’s another to speak with a forked tongue. But his constituency doesn’t care. They just want to hold up John 3:16 signs in the end zone at football games during the point-after kick. For some of them, “Deliverance” isn’t a movie, it’s a way of life. They cheer at the end of “Easy Rider.” Teeth are considered an optional fashion accessory.

He won Iowa but it’s been downhill since then. The other GOP candidates have morphed into the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. He tried some affirmative action by hiring a Catholic as his campaign manager. But Ed Rollins turned out to be a loud-mouthed, over-the-hill dolt - a veritable Sgt. Carter to the Huckster’s Gomer Pyle.

Shazam, Sgt. Rollins, I think this here campaign is flat broke! Ain’t nobody throwin’ nothin’ into the collection plate. Do you think it’s too late for Jim Pinkerton to beg Newsday to give him back his column? It’s all ending rather badly, the way it did for William Jennings Bryan at the Scopes monkey trial.

The Huckster really jumped the shark this week when he attempted to win the trailer park vote by mentioning his deep appreciation for the taste of fried squirrel. He reminisced about his college daze at the Bible school, using a popcorn popper in the dorm to cook the rodents.

From a chicken in every pot to a squirrel in every popcorn popper - there is the trajectory of the Huckabee juggernaut in a nutshell, so to speak.

Who knows how Huckabee would have fared if it hadn’t snowed yesterday in his South Carolina base, the hookworm counties upstate? But God, as they say, moves in mysterious ways.

If the tracking polls were correct, Huckabee appeared to be headed for the same fate as his favorite college dinner - roadkill. From the penthouse to the outhouse in 16 days.

Now the Huckster’s campaign needs a lot more than a bottle of Chuck Norris’ favorite K.O. Fitness Recovery Drink. Exit polls in the early states showed Huckabee winning the support of 93 percent of the voters who have bumper stickers saying their cars will be unmanned when the Rapture occurs. The bad news was, among everyone else in the Republican party, he was running neck and neck with Ron Paul.

A Channel 4 poll of the Massachusetts GOP this week showed favorite son Mitt Romney with 48 percent and John McCain with 34. Huck had 3 percent.

So what does the future hold? Infomercials would seem to be the Huckster’s next big thing. His pal Chuck Norris has cornered the Total Gym market, but maybe the Huckster can bless shotgun racks and peddle them C.O.D. Even better, how about the Ronco Total Squirrel Fry-o-Lator? Can somebody shout amen?
Boston Herald[/quote]

Well, I’ve never thought Huckabee would actually take the nomination, but I think Carr is maybe a little too dismissive of him. Real Clear Politics had Huckabee coming in a close second to McCain, and ahead of Romney. Considering that you have no clear favorite between McCain and Romney, Huckabee hanging around in third, and the specter of Gulianni possibly coming back to life if he’s as strong as they say in Florida, I’d say it’s anyone’s race.

Huckabee won’t win the nomination. While I like his populist touch in attracting African-Americans and blue-collar voters, his evangelical beliefs would hurt his electoral chances. Still, he is breath of fresh air for party. I think the contest now is between Romney and McCain.

[quote=“redandy”]"…I’d say it’s anyone’s race."[/quote]Redandy -

Completely agree. IMO its much too early to start making predictions unless written in pencil.
I look for this to run down to the wire as to choices and drama.

On both sides.

I really doubt Giuliani will win Florida. I’m willing to bet with anyone who thinks otherwise. If he does win Florida, I’ll treat everyone on this forum to beer and a lavish dinner.

Seeing as how it’s really doubtful Giuliani will win Florida what kind of odds will you give me?

I highly recommend everyone ‘acquire’ the Simpsons ‘Season 19, episode 10’ - “E Pluribus Wiggums” - for one of the best political commentaries on the US primary process I’ve seen.

* -
this post is not intended to condone unauthorized internet activity and does not reflect the policies of Forumosa.com

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I highly recommend everyone ‘acquire’ the Simpsons ‘Season 19, episode 10’ - “E Pluribus Wiggums” - for one of the best political commentaries on the US primary process I’ve seen.

* -
this post is not intended to condone unauthorized internet activity and does not reflect the policies of Forumosa.com
[/quote]

Which one is you, TC?

[quote="[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/will-newt-run/39805/9 As for McCain…Fred Thompson has chunks in his dump made from guys like McCain.[/quote]

[quote=“BBC”]Thompson quits White House race

Former US Senator Fred Thompson has withdrawn from the Republican presidential race, after a string of poor finishes in early voting rounds.

“I have withdrawn my candidacy… I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort,” he said in a short statement.

It follows his third place result in Saturday’s South Carolina primary - a state he had said he needed to win.

Mr Thompson did not say if he would endorse any of his former rivals.

[…]
He finished third with 16% in the South Carolina primary, behind John McCain on 33% and Mike Huckabee with 30%. [/quote]

Bets on who Thompson endorses?

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote="[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/will-newt-run/39805/9 As for McCain…Fred Thompson has chunks in his dump made from guys like McCain.[/quote]

[quote=“BBC”]Thompson quits White House race

Former US Senator Fred Thompson has withdrawn from the Republican presidential race, after a string of poor finishes in early voting rounds.

“I have withdrawn my candidacy… I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort,” he said in a short statement.

It follows his third place result in Saturday’s South Carolina primary - a state he had said he needed to win.

Mr Thompson did not say if he would endorse any of his former rivals.

[…]
He finished third with 16% in the South Carolina primary, behind John McCain on 33% and Mike Huckabee with 30%. [/quote]

Bets on who Thompson endorses?[/quote]

I’m disappointed Thompson’s campaign never really picked up any momentum. His wife would have made one hell of a first lady. Anyways, he’s pretty friendly with McCain off the trail, so I expect he will back him or no one at all.

On the Question of Experience

[quote]Mrs. Clinton’s strength is her mastery of the details of domestic and foreign policy, unrivaled among the candidates; she speaks fluently about what to do in Pakistan, Iraq, Darfur. Mr. Obama’s strength is his vision and charisma and the possibility that his election would heal divisions at home and around the world. John Edwards’s strength is his common touch and his leadership among the candidates in establishing detailed positions on health care, poverty and foreign aid.

Those are the meaningful distinctions in the Democratic field, not Mrs. Clinton’s spurious claim to “35 years of experience.” The Democrats with the greatest Washington expertise — Joe Biden, Chris Dodd and Bill Richardson — have already been driven from the race. And the presidential candidate left standing with the greatest experience by far is Mr. McCain; if Mrs. Clinton believes that’s the criterion for selecting the next president, she might consider backing him.

To put it another way, think which politician is most experienced today in the classic sense, and thus — according to the “experience” camp — best qualified to become the next president?

That’s Dick Cheney. And I rest my case.[/quote]

Greatest Washington experience? The Neil Kinnock wannabe, the waitress sandwich philanderer, and the philanderer? You can’t compare those clowns with Clinton. In my opinion, experience in government does matter. Which is why McCain (been a Congressman/Senator since the early 80s and Navy Attache to the Senate before that) and Clinton (First lady of the US and Arkansas, lawyer, Senator etc). Romney has private and public sector experience (founded Bain and company, run the Olympics in Salt Lake City, was Governor of Massachussetts), and even Huckabee was governor of Arkansas for a decade?

What exactly has Obama done? Worked in advocacy for a few years, taught a few law courses, sat in the Illinois legislature but voted “present” 100 times, and has barely made a peep in the US Senate.

Fred Drops Out, Will Announce in June on Leno
by Scott Ott for ScrappleFace

(2008-01-22) — One of the most highly-anticipated withdrawals from the Republican presidential field seems all but certain today, with the release of a terse written statement by former Sen. Fred Thompson.

However, disappointed conservatives may have to wait several months for a personal announcement that he’s abandoning his White House bid.

At least one close associate said, “Fred didn’t rush into this campaign, and he’s not rushing out. He just doesn’t rush anything.”

Campaign insiders said Mr. Thompson has “formed a pull-out announcement exploratory committee to determine the right timing and venue.”

However, current speculation indicates a June withdrawal, probably on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Scrappleface

Q:Why does a guy with impeccable Conservative credentials pull out of the race?

A: Fred was able to successfully resist any and all attempts to take this darn thing serious…Complete lack of Fire in the Belly…maybe he thought it meant indigestion.

Hilary!

A Willing Suspension of Disbelief…

“Wanna play in the park? Fort Marcy?”

Nah… Hillary “I was named for Sir Edmund, and raised to be an adventurer, even though I was born years before he climbed Everest” Clinton wouldn’t stretch the truth just because it sounded good.