The U.S. 2008 Primary Candidate Election Thread

Neither is Mary Jo Kopechne.

Neither is Mary Jo Kopechne.

[/quote]

My point exactly.

Hillary Scientologist? :astonished:

youtube.com/watch?v=I3enFIPvnFg

Don’t underestimate Ed Kennedy’s enormous political clout among the Democratic Party base. He has considerable influence among the super delegates in the party who will count in the nominating process.

I will not vote for Hillary if she wins the nomination. I will be interested to hear what kind of experience she really had that makes her so qualified. If she gets elected, you can bet that the partisan divide in Washington will get even worse. No one can fiercely unite and rally the Republican factions as powerfully as Hillary can. The social, economic, and national security factions in the Republican contest all have one thing in common: They dislike her agenda in all three areas. Furthermore, her candidacy is a springboard for Bill to resume his presidency. Hillary will be the puppethead, while Bill will be the Emperor Palpatine behind the throne. Similar to Cheney’s role.

As a Democrat who voted for Bill Clinton in 1996, I’ve seen through the Clintons’ power hungry motives and tricks to preserve their own legacy. They only care about keeping their own power and will do anything, weep anything, and say anything to get elected. They are not running based on a genuine desire to do good for the country. Obama in contrast is genuine, is rational and intelligent, and has leadership qualities that outweigh whatever superficial experience Hillary has. What exactly did Hillary produce in the Senate that qualifies as experience? Charles Schumer is the senator from New York who has the true experience. Everytime you hear news about issues like resolutions to pressure China in raising its currency, it’s Schumer taking the lead.

I will not vote for narcissistic Clintons. I’ve seen through their skin, and will root for a McCain over a Clinton anytime. The Clintons are the biggest liars and manipulators, and have zero integrity.

Screw it I’m running

[quote]CHARLESTON, SC—After spending two months accompanying his wife, Hillary, on the campaign trail, former president Bill Clinton announced Monday that he is joining the 2008 presidential race, saying he “could no longer resist the urge.”

“My fellow Americans, I am sick and tired of not being president,” said Clinton, introducing his wife at a “Hillary '08” rally. “For seven agonizing years, I have sat idly by as others experienced the joys of campaigning, debating, and interacting with the people of this great nation, and I simply cannot take it anymore. I have to be president again. I have to.”
Enlarge Image Bill Clinton

“Damn, this feels good,” Clinton told supporters as he shook hands in Charleston Monday.
[/quote]

We couldn’t survive another Clinton presidency.

[quote]Highlights from the first Clinton Presidency.
· Converted the largest budget deficit in American history to the largest surplus
· Family and Medical Leave Act for 20 million Americans
· Highest home ownership in American history
· Longest economic expansion in American history–a record 115 months of economic expansion
· Lower Federal Government Spending: after increasing under the previous two administrations, federal government spending as a share of the economy was cut from 22.2 percent in 1992 to 18 percent in 2000–the lowest level since 1966
· Lowest government spending in three decades
· Lowest Inflation since the 1960s: inflation was at the lowest rate since the Kennedy Administration, averaging 2.5 percent, down from 4.6 percent during the previous administration
· Made the Federal government smaller (a feat matched only by Harry Truman; if you like small government, vote Democratic)
· More families owned stock than ever before
· More than 22 million new jobs: more than 22 million jobs were created in less than eight years – the most ever under a single administration
· Paid off $360 billion of the national debt: under Clinton, we were on track to pay off the entire debt by 2009; what a difference a stolen election makes.
· The Most U.S. Exports Ever: between 1992 and 2000, U.S. exports of goods and services grew by 74 percent, or nearly $500 billion, to top $1 trillion for the first time
· Connected 95 percent of schools to the Internet
· Largest expansion of college opportunity since the GI Bill
· Lowest infant mortality rate in American history
· Lowest teen birth rate in 60 years
· Higher incomes at all levels: after falling by nearly $2,000 between 1988 and 1992, the median family’s income rose by $6,338, after adjusting for inflation; all income brackets experienced double-digit growth; the bottom 20 percent saw the largest income growth at 16.3 percent
· Higher Incomes even after Taxes and Inflation: real after-tax incomes grew by an average of 2.6 percent per year for the lower-income half of taxpayers between 1993 and 1997, while growing by an average of 1.0 percent between 1981 and 1993
· Lowest Federal Income Tax Burden in 35 Years: Federal income taxes as a percentage of income for the typical American family dropped to their lowest level in 35 years
· 7 Million Fewer Americans Living in Poverty
· Lowest Poverty Rate for Single Mothers on Record: under President Clinton, the poverty rate for families with single mothers fell from 46.1 percent in 1993 to 35.7 percent in 1999, the lowest level on record
· Lowest poverty rate in 20 years: the poverty rate declined from 15.1 percent to 11.8 percent in 1999–the largest six-year drop in poverty in nearly 30 years
· Lowest unemployment in 30 years: unemployment dropped from more than 7 percent in 1993 to just 4.0 percent in November 2000; unemployment for African Americans and Hispanics fell to the lowest rates on record, and the rate for women was the lowest in more than 40 years
· Smallest Welfare Rolls Since 1969: between January 1993 and September of 1999, the number of welfare recipients dropped by 7.5 billion (a 53 percent decline) to 6.6 million. In comparison, between 1981-1992, the number of welfare recipients increased by 2.5 million (a 22 percent increase) to 13.6 million people
· The African American and elderly poverty rates dropped to their lowest level on record
· The child poverty rate declined more than 25 percent
· The Hispanic poverty rate dropped to its lowest level since 1979
· The poverty rate for single mothers was the lowest ever
· Lowest crime rate in 26 years.
· Deactivated more than 1,700 nuclear warheads from the former Soviet Union: efforts of the Clinton-Gore Administration led to the dismantling of more than 1,700 nuclear warheads, 300 launchers and 425 land and submarine based missiles from the former Soviet Union
[/quote]
You kids probably don’t remember what it was like back then. It was horrible. So much peace. So much prosperity.

Bush Senior’s tax increase, which cost him the presidency, was a major factor in creating the budget surplus. Had the elder Bush not raised taxes, the nation’s fiscal health would not have recovered to the extent that it helped the economy. Clinton reaped the benefits of the elder Bush’s tax increase, while Bush paid for this sacrifice.

Spending in the 1990s during the Clinton years was largely controlled by the Republican-dominated Congress. The Republicans also controlled the Senate Appropriations Committee which decided what to spend in the first place. Clinton had no choice but to yield to Republican demands for limited spending. One of Clinton’s concessions to the Republicans was an increase in defense spending.

Clinton merely presided over an economy that would have prospered anyway, an economic recovery that already began during the 1992 election year when Bush Senior lost the presidency. The technological boom driven by the private sector (Silicon Valley) occurred independently of the White House.

Alan Greenspan deserves far more credit for the economic boom than Clinton ever did. Greenspan’s monetary policies, the elder Bush’s tax increase that cost him the presidency, the Republican-dominated Congress’ check on overall spending, and the private sector’s technological innovation were major factors that caused the economic boom.

Clinton was simply lucky to preside over an expansion caused by other players.

To be fair to Dubya, the terrorism problem had its roots in the Clinton Administration’s laxness in dealing with Bin Laden and terrorism in general. It was under Clinton’s watch that Bin Laden’s organization flourished.

Florida results starting to come in:

Looks like Rudi G may drop out after this. He has put all his eggs in this basket and its just no working out for him. Where will his supporters go?

The Mittster has been growing in strength; He may pick up a lot of Rudi G’s supporters.

No word on ‘hanging chads’…Oh…thats right…no Demo’s on this one…:smiley:

more as it comes in.

Added:

McCain - 35%
Romney - 31%
Ron Paul - 3 %

Hilary! is now giving her ‘victory’ speech

added:(1030)

Looks like McCain has taken Florida delegates.
Romney #2
Rudi G is now expected to throw in with McCain
Huckabee at 13%

Hilary! wins for the Dems. There are no Demo delegates at stake in the Florida primary.

Not sure what to make of Hillary winning Florida. Kinda ironic, I guess that winning Florida, the ultimate swing state, would normally have turned her chances around. But, with no delegates at stake, it just kinda rings empty. Meanwhile, all the bigwigs from sure thing democrat states like Massachusetts jump on with Obama.

On the Republican side, what was a wide open race a week or so ago has now apparently become a two candidate affair. There’s an interesting dichotomy at work, as many believe McCain would fare better in the general election, but Romney certainly appeals more to the hard core conservatives. For my part, I think Romney is actually more moderate in his personal thinking, but figures to win he has to appeal to power base of the party (sound familiar?).

· Bill Clinton developed the nation’s first anti-terrorism policy, and appointed first national coordinator of anti-terrorist efforts.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold the Al Qaeda millennium hijacking and bombing plots.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold a planned attack to kill the Pope.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold a planned attack to blow up 12 U.S. jetliners simultaneously.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold a planned attack to blow up UN Headquarters.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold a planned attack to blow up FBI Headquarters.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold a planned attack to blow up the Israeli Embassy in Washington.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold a planned attack to blow up Boston airport.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold a planned attack to blow up Lincoln and Holland Tunnels in NY.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold a planned attack to blow up the George Washington Bridge.
· Bill Clinton stopped cold a planned attack to blow up the US Embassy in Albania.
· Bill Clinton tried to kill Osama bin Laden and disrupt Al Qaeda through preemptive strikes (efforts denounced by the G.O.P.).
· Bill Clinton brought perpetrators of first World Trade Center bombing and CIA killings to justice.
· Bill Clinton did not blame the Bush I administration for first World Trade Center bombing even though it occurred 38 days after Bush left office. Instead, worked hard, even obsessively – and successfully – to stop future terrorist attacks.
· Bill Clinton named the Hart-Rudman commission to report on nature of terrorist threats and major steps to be taken to combat terrorism.
· Bill Clinton sent legislation to Congress to tighten airport security. (Remember, this is before 911) The legislation was defeated by the Republicans because of opposition from the airlines.
· Bill Clinton sent legislation to Congress to allow for better tracking of terrorist funding. It was defeated by Republicans in the Senate because of opposition from banking interests.
· Bill Clinton sent legislation to Congress to add tagents to explosives, to allow for better tracking of explosives used by terrorists. It was defeated by the Republicans because of opposition from the NRA.
· Bill Clinton increased the military budget by an average of 14 per cent, reversing the trend under Bush I.
· Bill Clinton tripled the budget of the FBI for counterterrorism and doubled overall funding for counterterrorism.
· Bill Clinton detected and destroyed cells of Al Qaeda in over 20 countries.
· Bill Clinton created national stockpile of drugs and vaccines including 40 million doses of smallpox vaccine.
· Of Clinton’s efforts says Robert Oakley, Reagan Ambassador for Counterterrorism: “Overall, I give them very high marks” and “The only major criticism I have is the obsession with Osama”.
· Paul Bremer, current Civilian Administrator of Iraq disagrees slightly with Robert Oakley as he believed the Bill Clinton Administration had "correctly focused on bin Laden.
· Barton Gellman in the Washington Post put it best, “By any measure available, Bill Clinton left office having given greater priority to terrorism than any president before him” and was the “first administration to undertake a systematic anti-terrorist effort”.

From Perry Logan . org

So is it official- Rudy Giuliani, worst campaign ever?

I mean, in October he had a 15-20% lead over his nearest rival. Great strategery, Rudy.

[quote=“MikeN”]So is it official- Rudy Giuliani, worst campaign ever?

I mean, in October he had a 15-20% lead over his nearest rival. Great strategery, Rudy.[/quote]
How much strategy can you expect from the guy who decided to put the emergency command and control center right in the cross-hairs?

talk-radio host goes OFF on Mitt Romney

“Governor, you just lost my vote!”

Barack Obama replies to Bush’s State of the Union

The next debates are on CNN on Jan 30 (GOP) and Jan 31(Dems) (7 pm central standard time)

I expect more fireworks with the Dems this time since it will be in Cali.

:stuck_out_tongue:

And then there were two.

I would have figured he’d stay in it long enough to amass enough delegates to play king maker. I wonder why he’s out now: money, wife’s health, dirty tricks associated with the nasty rumors going around about him? As far as Super Tuesday goes, I suppose this helps Obama with the ‘Anyone but Clinton’ contingent.

On the other side, it’s going to be McCain. If the Dems go with Hillary, and thereby lose the election, they’ll have only themselves to blame. Eight great years under Clinton and they lose to a retarded drunken cheerleader. Eight disastrous years under Bush, and they manage to lose again? Too much.

[quote=“MikeN”]So is it official- Rudy Giuliani, worst campaign ever?

I mean, in October he had a 15-20% lead over his nearest rival. Great strategery, Rudy.[/quote]

He fumbled in part by repeating “9/11” like a broken record.

Baby Got Barack

:doh: How many days to Nov?!?!?!

Surprising just about no one…Silky Pony has dropped-out:

Edwards Exits Presidential Race

As predicted, Rudi G has dropped out and thrown his support to McCain:

Giuliani Endorsement Gives McCain Visible Boost Going Into GOP Debate

McCain clearly moves into the ‘front-runner’ position in the GOP primary.