The VERY LAST Grateful Dead Thread

Very few 4-song 2nd sets in existance. I saw one in '79 at The Rectum.
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/dead-sets/79/11-6-79.txt

Yeah, The next 2 nites in San Diego were all Weir. Golden Hall was a sweet venue.

1 Like

1 Like

Why I show up to work early.

1 Like

I’m not surprised.

1 Like

https://www.sfgate.com/cannabis/article/jerry-garcia-cannabis-leaving-california-17741843.php

Garcia Hand Picked, like most celebrity brands, contracted out its cannabis growing and manufacturing to partner companies and then stamped Jerry Garcia’s face on the packaging. The company said they are looking for a new cannabis supplier, but declined to be interviewed for this story and did not elaborate on how long the brand would be on hiatus in California. Garcia Hand Picked is still available in five other states.

So last night was most likely my last Dark Star Orchestra show. They have been covering entire shows from the Dead’s very long run.

They did 3/27/89 last night. Atlanta. I attended that show having just returned from the New Years shows in Oakland completely hooked.

Good stuff, but I think we’ve come full circle. :salute:

2 Likes

My older sister introduced me to the grateful dead in 1990. I listened to every boxed set she had, but I was too young for concerts. My first ever concert was Weezer, opening for a one hit wonder. The following summer was '95; and I was fairly upset at the news.

2 Likes

Ugh. Denied!

Not that the band live wasn’t better than anyone else on tour for the previous ten years, but Jerry was kinda awful at the end. My final two shows in the Meadowlands summer tour 94 were just horrendous. The scene drove the band by that point. It’s kind of why I hate Grateful Dead Enterprises. They’re vampires, imho.

Bill is out.

I have managed to miss most of not all and possibly the final show. Not even a bit interesting to me. This is one reason why.

Why?

I’m a purist? :idunno:

Who knows. My gut goes nope.

1 Like

That’s fair

1 Like

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/grateful-dead-company-sf-concert-review-18207332.php

The article is nice. Fair minded and a bit reserved, if you ask me.

In the end, it’s over again. There haven’t been as many Dead cover bands around in ever, I’d say.

I listened to a nice Shakedown St. today. A show from ‘87 that I’ve heard dozens of times in my life. Dozens. What a marvelous hobby. :cowboy_hat_face:

I’m sad I never got to see a Dead & Co. show. All my friends back home caught shows every time the tour would come around. Fortunately, YouTube has heaps of high quality vids to see. But alas, it’s just not the same.

2 Likes

Neither were Dead & Co. But the band kept playing on.

Interesting take on the economic effects on some:

Shakedown lot…It’s a little bit farmers market, a little bit county fair, a little bit “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.” It’s where a fan can buy a Grateful Dead hoodie, a grilled cheese sandwich and, yes, even LSD. With this band’s demise, vendors on Shakedown have some anxiety over what’s next for the music they love and their own bank accounts.

The piece ends with the view by some you may get another chance of one kind or another.

A lot of folks on Shakedown firmly believe there’ll be a new Grateful Dead offshoot to follow post-Dead and Company. After all, there’s been several versions of the Dead over the last couple decades. So the hope is that the music of Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir will continue to thrive alongside fresh faces, or in the words of the Grateful Dead, the music never stops.

Well, that’s Grateful Dead Enterprises for ya. They’ll squeeze the life out of any of the band who wants to keep going.