The VERY LAST Grateful Dead Thread

Lol the fans are growing fans . Right on
Maybe I should pull up one of their songs and listen to it

I may recognize some Dead songs just not know they were

5 Likes

Daily Dead. This was my second New Years run.

On my first NY’s run, I was about 3-4 shows in, so every show was a long list of firsts.

Set 1 – 00:00 Tuning 02:30 Hell In A Bucket ~ 08:39 Sugaree 20:17 New Minglewood Blues 29:32 Friend Of The Devil 38:36 Queen Jane Approximately 45:55 To Lay Me Down ~ 53:08 Let It Grow –

Set 2 – 1:06:01 Tuning 1:07:44 Playing In The Band ~ 1:15:35 Crazy Fingers ~ 1:23:47 Samson And Delilah ~ 1:32:00 Playing Jam ~ 1:35:09 Eyes Of The World ~ 1:43:41 Drums ~ 1:53:17 Space ~ 1:59:06 The Other One ~ 2:06:03 Stella Blue ~ 2:13:36 Throwing Stones ~ 2:22:51 Not Fade Away – Encore – 2:30:41 Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)

The Lay Me Down was the only one I saw live in 36 attempts. Real nice version.

2cd set was fun, as Weir forgot how Samson and Delilah began (after a sick screaming Jerry intro) and the crowd roared. When he got it right, we roared again. Such is a GD show. Real nice Eyes of the World.

1 Like

And on this day in 1989, on a four night run, the Dead started the 2cd set with Jack Straw, which had been gaining a LOT of momentum at the time as a 1st set opener and closer. I’d always wanted them to open the 2cd set with and wow, what a blast.

This show is extra fun for me, as I used to sit directly behind the taper section, and after the ripping China Cat Sunflower, the band paused a bit before going I Know You Rider and I WHOOHOOed. It’s on the tape I have in a box somewhere. You can hear me here too, but the HOO has been split off from the WHOO. You can hear me on the absolute last bar of CC and a bit on the first bars of IKYR. lol. Really!

Great time. Great set, and we were lit up from the inside out.

Enjoy:

OK, back to video, as that audio thing did not work out yesterday.

My final NYE show. Got skunked in 1990. :frowning:

This one rocked. 89 was a hell of a year for the Dead, put out an album so the following Fall tour (and the Spring 90 tour) was dynamite given the studio work demanded of the band. YOu know, like hitting all the notes, singing all the lyrics, that kind of stuff. :wink:

Set 1
Sugar Magnolia
Touch Of Grey
Women Are Smarter
Big Boss Man *with Bonnie Raitt on sick slide guitar. She gave Jerry a big smoocher before she left. (She opened for the Dead and did a whole set, which was nice.)
Memphis Blues
Shakedown Street (My first SS, kind of low energy, but we were whacked out of our skulls happy.)

Bill Graham came down from the ceiling in a exploding egg throwing roses at midnight.

Set 2
NYE Countdown
Aiko Aiko W/ a Neville brother or two.
Victim Or The Crime
Dark Star
Drums
Space
Dear Mr Fantasy
Hey Jude (Reprise)
Going Down The Road Feeling Bad
Throwing Stones
Not Fade Away
E: Brokedown Palace
Sunshine Daydream
Midnight Hour

If you have 3 hours to fill:

Grateful Dead - 1/3/70 - Fillmore East - New York, NY – Early Show – 00:00 Morning Dew 09:22 Me & My Uncle 12:47 Hard to Handle 17:08 Cumberland Blues 22:54 Cold Rain & Snow 28:11 Alligator ~ 32:08 Drums ~ 36:37 Alligator 46:13 Feedback – Encore – 52:21 Uncle John’s Band –

Late Show – 1:00:10 Casey Jones 1:04:35 Mama Tried 1:07:28 Big Boss Man 1:12:23 China Cat Sunflower ~ Jam ~ 1:17:38 I Know You Rider ~ High Time tease 1:23:00 Mason’s Children 1:28:16 Cryptical Envelopment ~ 1:30:15 Drums ~ 1:33:49 The Other One ~ 1:43:54 Cryptical Envelopment ~ 1:48:52 Cosmic Charlie 1:56:12 Uncle John’s Band 2:02:24 Black Peter 2:11:10 Dire Wolf 2:15:59 Good Lovin’ 2:25:20 Dancin’ in the Streets ~ Drums ~ Dancin’ in the Streets – Encore – 2:36:12 St. Stephen ~ 2:42:37 In the Midnight Hour

If you only have 35 minutes, spend it dead.

Have to make time tomorrow for some of these starting with this set.

1 Like

Hualien is 10x better than Taipei.

Some say the Grateful Dead were intelligence community assets.

Bob Weir on Bohemian Grove.

I’m sure some of them thought they were many things. Lol

The pic for this YT audio is deceiving. It is certainly not from the Oakland Arena as it’s not a pic of an indoor show. I’d agree it’s from '88 tho.

Loving it already! My favorite Dead song up front. I first got turned onto it at this event back when, though I may have missed you there!

1 Like

No, the NYE shows were all indoors. Coliseum.

Alligator?

Huh, I recall spending an hour convincing BroonAle that no, I didn’t worship GWBush and no, I didn’t think every single stoopid thing the GOP base did was a) newsworthy or b) worthy at all. :roll_eyes:

The music could have been so much louder. :wink:

1 Like

On this day, in 1978, at the Swing Auditorium:

Set 1

The Promised Land
Dire Wolf
Mama Tried →
Big River
Loser
Looks Like Rain
Tennessee Jed
New Minglewood Blues
Deal
Lazy Lightnin’ →
Supplication

Set 2

Playing In The Band →
Estimated Prophet →
Drums →
The Other One →
Truckin’

Encore
Johnny B. Goode

It’s a strange setlist as Jerry’s voice broke. I think, iirc, that the Bob only show is coming up. All Weir, all night.

Morning Dew :slight_smile:

1 Like

Such a depressing song. Lol

Have a listen to the Buffalo 89 version. 80k at Rich Stadium. It drops off to just jerry noodling and then smashes back.

1 Like

I will. This is my favorite

1 Like

Saw a NY Eve show @ HJK in '86.

2 Likes