The Xiaoliuqiu (Little Liuqiu) thread

Searched and couldn’t find one. So thought I’d start one.

Has anyone been snorkelling there? A friend of mine used to go diving there, but I can’t ask him about it as his email’s broken. Anyway, he said it was a really nice place to go diving. The Lonely Planet, however, says there’s a nasty undertow.

My sister’s coming to visit in June and she wants to go snorkelling. I know about Green Island but thought that Xiaoliuqiu could be an interesting alternative.

What about the island itself? Worth an overnight stay?

Thanks for any info.

I went there about 5 or 6 years ago. Not a whole lot to see. Not a whole lot to eat or do. There are some pretty views. You can rent scooters and tour the island. There was some scuba diving, but I have no idea as to the quality; the water looked a bit murky and there is a fish farm on the north side.

About a year or two ago the ferry going there burned and 1 or 2 drowned afte jumping in the sea (I think one was an infant).

Try this link:

traveling.network.com.tw/Taiwan/point/699.html

Nothing about diving though.

Went diving there last November. Lots of currents, visibility fine, but probably could be better since it rained during one of my dives. I honestly can’t remember what I saw during the dives because there really isn’t much to see. Most likely you will get to do shore dives, if not, you’d be doing “raft” dives. The island is charming and there are places to see, quite similar to Green Island, but I think snorkeling would be a better idea than scuba. Not really worth hauling all your equipment there and carrying it all on your back for a shore dive to see dead coral and some cute fish. Wouldn’t stay more than a night though. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info everyone.

[quote=“enola”]Went diving there last November. Lots of currents, visibility fine, but probably could be better since it rained during one of my dives. I honestly can’t remember what I saw during the dives because there really isn’t much to see. Most likely you will get to do shore dives, if not, you’d be doing “raft” dives. The island is charming and there are places to see, quite similar to Green Island, but I think snorkeling would be a better idea than scuba. Not really worth hauling all your equipment there and carrying it all on your back for a shore dive to see dead coral and some cute fish. Wouldn’t stay more than a night though. Good Luck![/quote]Well, it’s snorkelling we’d be doing. My sister and I are OK swimmers but not super strong, which is why I was a bit concerned about the Lonely Planet’s mention of a strong undertow. What do you reckon?

I’ve been snorkelling at Green Island before. Saw lots of coral, an octupus, some jellyfish etc. How’s Xiaoliuqiu in comparison? Not so good by the sound of it.

Why not consider Orchid Island or Penghu instead…They’d both have more topside attractions, and would be better for snorkeling/diving.

Penghu is quite cool…It’s been 15 years since I’ve been out there, but I’m sure it retains it’s very different feel/topography from Taiwan proper.

Penghu sounds nice. What about currents out there?

Bear in mind that my sister and I are just one step up from the lines of snorkelling non-swimmers holding pitifully onto a rope…

Well, we’ve been swimming since we were kids but not particularly elegantly or powerfully.

Is it easy to rent snorkelling gear on Orchid Island? They don’t get nearly as many tourists as Green Island, do they?