"They" do it too - but "we" make the news

Didn’t find this news anywhere else but on Yahoo (Kimo) news.

Sorry, it’s in Chinese. tw.news.yahoo.com/050222/4/1itdr.html

But, basically it suggests that a foreign teacher may have done a “Whacko Jacko” with a child.

Anyone heard anything about this story?

No Taiwanese has ever done that ? Must why they don’t all get in the news. :ponder:
Why do you want to hear more about this story and not those involving Taiwanese ? I know you hire foreigners, and one does this, so they all do this so you have to be careful. I think you’ve assimilated more than enough Taiwanese culture now Bassman. :fume:

He has been tried and convicted in a court of law (just like Michael Jackson has been) so we know it is all true and not a grudge and nothing like [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/falsely-charged-for-what-status-quo-more-nt/15094/1 I presume ?

Yup, my teachers say they saw it on the news last night. Say the teacher can’t be found.

Still in the “The boy told his mother that…” stage. Keep us updated. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]No Taiwanese has ever done that ? Must why they don’t all get in the news. :ponder:
Why do you want to hear more about this story and not those involving Taiwanese ? I know you hire foreigners, and one does this, so they all do this so you have to be careful. I think you’ve assimilated more than enough Taiwanese culture now Bassman. :fume:

He has been tried and convicted in a court of law (just like Michael Jackson has been) so we know it is all true and not a grudge and nothing like [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/falsely-charged-for-what-status-quo-more-nt/15094/1 I presume ?[/quote]
Whoa BFM, I know where you’re coming from, but I think it is newsworthy to mention it here, on a forum dominated by foreign teachers.
I don’t think Bassman is taking it any further than the link at this stage. My thoughts anyway.

[quote=“Bassman”]Didn’t find this news anywhere else but on Yahoo (Kimo) news.

But, basically it suggests that a foreign teacher may have done a “Whacko Jacko” with a child.
[/quote]

Yes, BFM, it suggests, an appropriate word here until the facts are known, that the guy committed some kind of sexual misconduct…nothing more.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]No Taiwanese has ever done that ? Must why they don’t all get in the news. :ponder:

He has been tried and convicted in a court of law (just like Michael Jackson has been) so we know it is all true and not a grudge and nothing like [url=Falsely charged for what, status quo, more NT? I presume ?[/quote]

My goodness man - back the truck up a little bit.

If it was a Taiwanese that did it, then it wouldn’t be a big issue for us. The average Taiwanese wouldn’t make an assumption that we are all perverts because of something that a Taiwanese teacher did. But, this IS a foreign teacher that the article is talking about. This IS a foreign community website.

Because if I wanted to know more I could ask a Taiwanese, or the news would give me far more information. Heck, I think they’d show up at the teacher’s house with a film crew and hound the teacher to death. Maybe that is why I am looking to see if anything else has been said about it.

Secondly, there may be more to it that it seems, and who would know more about it, perhaps those in the foreign community.

You said that, not me. I, for one, would never say that, or even think it.

That kind of statement is uncalled for.

and so is this one…

That was completely uncalled for. I’d flame you for that, if it weren’t against the rules.

Your response is precisely why I thought twice about posting this thread.

This sort of thing reflects on all of us in the profession.

I am not going to ignore the simple fact that many Taiwanese will paint us with the same brush. You’d be a fool to do otherwise.

They are not going to view every Taiwanese teacher in this light, now are they? Of course not, they understand Taiwanese people, but they don’t understand us.

NOTE: I don’t care about the name of the guy. I don’t want to know. I don’t even care which school it was at, even though the news tells us.

Touchy, touchy

Interesting choice of words… :slight_smile:

Why will they do that? Do you consider all Taiwanese to be (insert nasty thing here)?

Some will, some won’t. The racist bigoted fuckwads that do will probably already have PLENTY of reasons why they hate and mistrust foreigners. The others will see this for what it is and continue to send their kids to English buxibans.

But I wonder – and this is a serious question – just how many foreign pedophiles there are working in buxibans here? It is common knowledge, after all, that pedophiles often try to seek work in which they’ll have close proximity to kids and I’m sure they’re not ALL in the Philippines and Cambodia.

Why will they do that? Do you consider all Taiwanese to be (insert nasty thing here)?

Some will, some won’t. The racist bigoted fuckwads that do will probably already have PLENTY of reasons why they hate and mistrust foreigners. The others will see this for what it is and continue to send their kids to English buxibans.

But I wonder – and this is a serious question – just how many foreign pedophiles there are working in buxibans here? It is common knowledge, after all, that pedophiles often try to seek work in which they’ll have close proximity to kids and I’m sure they’re not ALL in the Philippines and Cambodia.[/quote]

And a very good question, Sandman. Unless the schools are warned beforehand not to hire someone (and we do get those every now and then. I have even received warning letters from pissed-off ex-girlfriends!) we really have no way of knowing. The key is not to put teachers and students into situations where there is even a slight chance of anything happening. Don’t have students and teachers alone together…it protects both parties.

Another reason to have a Chinese teacher in the classroom with foreign teachers, especially those who are…how shalll I say…odd?

Trust is earned.

I had one guy who kept asking, “What grade are these kids?”…imagine getting this question all the time when he went into a new class, and then getting a creepy feeling down your spine…it just didn’t SOUND right when he said it. Never left him alone with the kids…ever. (BTW, he didn’t last long…not because of the creepy feeling, but because he was an irresponsible tool).

yuk

[quote=“jdsmith”]Another reason to have a Chinese teacher in the classroom with foreign teachers, especially those who are…how shalll I say…odd?

Trust is earned.

I had one guy who kept asking, “What grade are these kids?”…imagine getting this question all the time when he went into a new class, and then getting a creepy feeling down your spine…it just didn’t SOUND right when he said it. Never left him alone with the kids…ever. (BTW, he didn’t last long…not because of the creepy feeling, but because he was an irresponsible tool).

yuk[/quote]

If I ever got a creepy feeling from a teacher he or she would have been out of there like a flash…just gotta trust one’s instincts.

[/quote]

Sandman, I think you should reread Bassman’s post before you jump in with your “defensive for the Taiwanese” play. Bassman is clear to say that MANY not all but MANY Taiwanese will paint us with the same brush. It’s unrealistic, to think that even in the most educated Taiwanese doesn’t hold misconceptions about Westerns, when in fact that is a human condition. Keep in mind that a great deal of Taiwanese’s contact with western culture is limited in time, and rather shallow, as well as for funtional purposes.
My quesstion to you is why do you always feel the need to correct people on their opinions about the Taiwanese? Aren’t we all entitled to free expression?

Some will, some won’t. The racist bigoted fuckwads that do will probably already have PLENTY of reasons why they hate and mistrust foreigners. The others will see this for what it is and continue to send their kids to English buxibans…[/quote]

Funny thing is, and this is one reason for my opinion, I was watching the news this morning. I saw a story about foreign teachers in Taiwan, they said that many do not have proper qualifications and a loose translation here… “So, you think that English teaching is the domain of the foreign teacher. You would be shocked to know that many do not have University diplomas and many of those are fake”… What I could see with that is that many people will be untrusting of their English teachers. I hope they aren’t that stupid. Then I read this story and thought, “that takes the cake.” So, they’ll think we’re perverts and frauds.

Simple thing is, the average person where I live will start to be suspicious of their foreign teacher. Heck, I’ve had people ask to see my passport and ARC before they’d start private classes, that was after one illegal teacher crackdown.

As much as I’d like to believe the best, I think that it does impact the way people think about us. Think about it, some of you guys went off at Mordeth for being a bad example for us because of his driving and that it would make people think all foreigners drive / ride like that. What is different here?

Well, apparently the teacher already left Taiwan. So, it’s going to be the Mom’s word against nothing.

But sandman’s question is a good one: how many pedos are working in the buxiban industry?

And that leads me to ask this question of owners and teachers: What is the definition of inappropriate behavior and touching in a buxiban?

And more importantly, aside from gut feelings, what would you suggest as preventative measures?

Really bad press for Gram English. Worse for the international community as a whole.

At my old school, foreign teachers used to give the spoken part of tests to students in an office or an empty classroom. Their policy was, however, students must come two at a time and the door must always remain open. Apparently, an incident resulted in the policy.

I agree. That’s why I’m wondering how to ease parents’ minds.

I think the best response/precaution is the Chinese teacher in the class, forewarned to report anything violent, aggressive, rude, idiotic, or inappropriate.

I hate even thinking about this kind of stuff, but I’d rather err on the side of caution.

That’s pretty normal for Taiwan. It comfortingly reinforces the stereotype that all foreigners are criminals and frauds, and excuses all Taiwanese parties to the joke that is the buxiban system in Taiwan, as of course the poor Taiwanese have to put up with using foreigners.

Naturally, they will not bring in verification of degrees, or any requirement for teaching qualifications. I wonder why… :ponder:

They both took off their pants? In the school? Why do I find the story a little hard to believe? Even in a one on one class that seems extremely unlikely.

Apparently the mother of the child always had the classes taped. There was usually one hour of tape. In the case in question there was only 10 minutes of tape, she asked the child what they did for the other 50 minutes, and the child told her that they took of their pants and played with their “little birds”. Why does this sound more like something that an eight year old says carelessly and without thinking? Perhaps it did happen just as the child said, but then, I have heard children say much more stupid things than that and found later that it wasn’t true.

If this should turn out not to be true, I think I would consider some new policies in our school.

If it turns out that the guy didn’t do it, would you consider not having private classes?