Things Not To Be Missed In Taiwan

You’ve probably had this experience before. You’ve lived in a place, then moved on, and later you learn about something in the old place that you should have seen or should have done, but didn’t. You missed something that would have made your time there more enjoyable.

On that note …

I just discovered public libraries here. Many others have done so before me, but it is new to me. I learned a few interesting things. One, there are branches which have the most books, but there are even more “neighborhood reading rooms” with smaller collections. Additionally, there are quite a few books in the English collections in one small branch and one smaller neighborhood reading room that I visited today. That neighborhood reading room even had about 30 Lonely Planet guides! Surely, the English selection is limited, but they have far more books than I’ll ever read here, and many are current hardbacks. What’s more, looking through their collections is a little like going to a flea market – never sure what hidden treasures you’ll find.

Library cards are easy to get (took me 10 minutes after showing my ARC). The library system has created an instruction sheet to explain how to fill out the library card application, in English. The only downside is that the online collections database seems to have serious omissions when compared to what’s actually in the collections. But, you can’t have everything.

Books are able to be borrowed for 30 days. A/V materials for 14 days. Fines here amount to suspension of privileges, with an alternative of a monetary penalty.

All in all, I’m quite happy that I finally got off of my lazy butt and checked out the local libraries more carefully. If you haven’t, I’d highly recommend it.

So, anyone else have any “not to be missed” things to contribute?

Seeker4

Nice question. I have only been here for 5 months and should be here at least 19 months more. I went and got my library card today in Jubei. Here are a few I wish to do.

(1) be invited and go to a Chinese Wedding. I got the invite but will be out of the country so must wait for the next one.
(2) climb Alishan
(3) visit one of the islands
(4) ride in a bike race
(5) go to Kenting
(6) go to a hot spring in the mountains
(7) find a local breakfast place that knows me and I don’t have to order, I already have succeeded for lunch
(8) celebrate New Years with Chinese friends

quote=“mikehs” be invited and go to a Chinese Wedding. I got the invite but will be out of the country so must wait for the next one.
[/quote]
That’s something to be experienced once, and avoided any other time afterward!

I’ve been to plenty of weddings here, and I generally consider them a time-wasting chore. I can think of plenty of other things I’d rather be doing!

Hope you like sea cucumbers…

What’s a wibary?

They have libraries here?

A place where you can go to ask wi, and answer your own question.

The public library is the first place I look for in any new city. They are a vastly underrated and underappreciated service.

I found a sweet public library about 15 minutes from Daan station. Couldn’t believe my luck. It has everything I need, including a microfilm reader/printer, which you can use incredibly cheaply.

(Pssst! A secret: This thread really isn’t about libraries. See OP.)

catch an early morning train on the east coast…one of those ones with the old wooden cars.

deleted OOOPSY

Seeker,

Some of the things in this thread might interest you:

[Taipei's Best Kept Secrets

[quote=“seeker4”]
So, anyone else have any “not to be missed” things to contribute?[/quote]

The return flight!

:wall:

Yea, Me too I miss the return flight but I think maybe different than yours. I am an American but now when ever I fly BACK toward CKS, I look for Jubei and see my home.