Things to do around Sun Moon Lake this weekend

My wife is running the sun moon lake marathon this weekend (silly girl!). so i’ll be with our 2 kids (4 and 2.5) for the sunday around the area waiting for her to finish killing herself.

Any suggestions on things that might be cool for the 3 of us to do (non chinese speaking)? I have a car so transport is OK

thanks

D

Boat ride

Biking, the easy way (向山自行車道)

Ride the cable car to the amusement park (Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village 九族文化村)

There’s a peacock park somewhere around the area…

Drive a bit to Taomichun (桃米村) to avoid the crowd and road closures.

If you have kids, the Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village is the obvious choice, including the Sun Moon Lake Ropeway, but not sure if it’s crowded this time of the year.
http://www.nine.com.tw

If you want to get away from Sun Moon Lake altogether (to avoid the masses) drive down to Checheng, southwest of the lake. There is a wood museum with DIY classroom there where your kids could do something creative with wood, though they might be a bit too young for that?
http://www.woodmuseum.com.tw

thanks for the suggestions guys, looks great. I think the Aboriginal Culture Village might be the plan.

will do more googling and go from there.

thanks very much

Wow the entire sun moon lake trail is like 30 km…is your wife planning to do an entire round?

she actually ran the full marathon yesterday… 42km route! she’s not moving too fast today though, thats for sure!

So, where did you take the kids, while she was running?

we stayed at a hotel nearby (on the lake) so faffed around there for a while, then rolled around on thier bikes for a while along the tracks… in between trying to get the kids not to kill each other or scare locals passing by!. in the end, we were nearby the finish line (waiting for wife to finish) and the kids became unofficial cheer squads to all who where finishing… was funny watching the reaction on mens faces as my daughter (4) screams “Go Mama, Go!” at the men!