Things you can and cannot do without an ARC card?

Umm for one thing, ya can’t hang out here for very long unless you do multiple visa runs which starts to really suck after a year. By that time they reject you anyway so you’re either doing a full time gig or gone. ARC’s make living much much smoother.

If you are on a JFRV and you got divorced or your wife passed away then yes, you would have many problems with your legal status in Taiwan. In that case I imagine that a house would be the least of your worries. This is one of the major reasons why I have always stayed on an investor visa even though I could qualify for a JFRV.

If you don’t have a backup plan and are so worried about things to the point where it stops you buying a house then it’s either time to change your ARC or consider leaving Taiwan.

As far as the house goes it doesn’t just disappear into limbo if the owner dies. Taiwan does have probate laws just like most other countries. I think the best solution in this kind of case is to take out a combined life assurance/investment policy. Taiwanese love insurance so I’m sure your wife would not have any problem with that arrangement.

Try 15 years of visa runs bud :slight_smile:

At least you get to get out once in a while…

At least you get to get out once in a while…[/quote]

YEah its actually not bad. THats how i collected over 100 trips to HK/Macau. Forced weekend retreat thanks to the govt of the rock. The only bad thing is forgetting the day you must leave by and overstaying. Which was a hassle.

I think 90 days woulda been better then my 60 day visa tho.

Then its 4 times a year instead of 6 to HK.

But always try to make a weekend of it and tis not bad. For years my company paid too and i did a visit to the HK office and got to stay in a five star hotel and fly biz. NOw thats not bad.

but when i have to do it myself on my dime, its Econ baby. And staying in 3 star hotels. Which was cool too, its a short flight and 3 star hotels means you do go out and hang out in town , whereas in a five star you dont even want to leave the hotel room . At most down to the pool, but you tend to stay in the complex itself.

Not a fact! There is a desk with no line in the Foreign Affairs office where a pretty young lady will help you with this.

Just trying to clear up some of the language here.

[quote=“engerim”][quote=“Modest Mouse”]I’m gonna list some things off and you can tell me if you need an ARC card to do them or if you can do them without an ARC card:

1. Get a license to drive
    [/quote] Possible[color=#FF0000], but must be obtained from home country in the form of an International Licence. This document must be stamped with an extension stamp after thirty days of it or the holder arriving in Taiwan.[/color]

[quote]

[/quote][/quote][/quote]

[quote=“sulavaca”]Just trying to clear up some of the language here.

[quote=“engerim”]Possible[color=#FF0000], but must be obtained from home country in the form of an International Licence. This document must be stamped with an extension stamp after thirty days of it or the holder arriving in Taiwan.[/color]
[/quote][/quote]

And is limited in time … I believe

No one has mentioned the national health insurance scheme.

FAIK you have to an ARC to get that.

Respect!

Respect![/quote]…not for the environment.

Respect![/quote]…not for the environment.[/quote]

Yup foolish for the ROC to require that but it keeps the bottom feeders out. (and kept this bottom feeder out for now too) :bluemad: :laughing:

If you are on a JFRV and you got divorced or your wife passed away then yes, you would have many problems with your legal status in Taiwan. In that case I imagine that a house would be the least of your worries. This is one of the major reasons why I have always stayed on an investor visa even though I could qualify for a JFRV.

If you don’t have a backup plan and are so worried about things to the point where it stops you buying a house then it’s either time to change your ARC or consider leaving Taiwan.[/quote]
Good reason to get an APRC.

You cannot get a gym membership at Fitness Factory if you do not have an ARC.