Things you can and cannot do without an ARC card?

I’m gonna list some things off and you can tell me if you need an ARC card to do them or if you can do them without an ARC card:

1. Get a license to drive

2. Buy a car, scooter, or motorcycle

3. Buy a house or apartment

4. Rent a house or apartment

5. Cash in a winning lottery receipt

Feel free to add to the list.

[quote=“Modest Mouse”]I’m gonna list some things off and you can tell me if you need an ARC card to do them or if you can do them without an ARC card:

1. Get a license to drive
    [/quote] Possible

[quote]
2. Buy a car, scooter, or motorcycle
[/quote] Possible, no need for house hold certificate or something like that. Your “dealer” will do all the paper work.

[quote]
3. Buy a house or apartment
[/quote] Possible. But you can not get a mortgage without a Taiwanese co-signer. So it has to be a cash deal.
The co-signer must be “eligible” (But given the fact that they accept that you only just pay 0.5% upfront of the mortgage I don’t think its a issue).
Check the Housing Forum: viewforum.php?f=80

[quote]
4. Rent a house or apartment
[/quote] Yes, you can buy “sample” contracts in every 7-11. Technically you don’t need anything (just money, right?) to rent something. It depends what the landlord can live with.

[quote]
5. Cash in a winning lottery receipt
[/quote] Yes, even a passport is enough. For something above 1000 I think they’ll keep 20% in tax.

You can really get a drivers licencse without an ARC? That’s good to know. For some reason I though that you needed an ARC valid for at least a year.

You need an ARC to open a Taiwan bank account. Fact.

Before I got mine, my cell phone company told me I needed one for a service contract, but my colleague sweet-talked the saleswoman to let me float by with a passport and a business card with a Taiwan address.

You also need an ARC for multiple-entry on a Resident Visa.

What I mean is you’d need a license from your reciprocity country to be allowed to drive here (if you have no ARC).

What I mean is you’d need a license from your reciprocity country to be allowed to drive here (if you have no ARC).[/quote]

You can only use an international licence for 90 days. If you stay longer than 90 days you International licence will not be valid unless you take it to a police station and have it copied and the copy stamped as being valid for 12 months from the date the international licence was ISSUED.

Most international drivers licences are valid for 12 months only but some countries do issue longer validity ones. Most countries have laws that state you can only use them for a limited time in each country.

RTFR :smiley:

:bravo: :notworthy: :no-no: :discodance:

umm… Multiple entry into Taiwan…

Very funny, though.

:bravo: :notworthy: :no-no: :discodance:

umm… Multiple entry into Taiwan…

Very funny, though.[/quote]

My wife has been making me hunt this post down to delete it. Unfortunately I couldn’t remember where I’d put it. Sorry etc.

[quote=“kaiwen338”]You need an ARC to open a Taiwan bank account. Fact.
[/quote]

I opened one with Chung Hwa without one.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“kaiwen338”]You need an ARC to open a Taiwan bank account. Fact.
[/quote]

I opened one with Zhonghua without one.[/quote]

You are luckier than I, as my bank of choice would not budge. I had to make multiple visits to my bank, and it was so arduous I thought about just using my mattress as a vault.

Dunno.

(Damn you, pinyinifier!)

[quote=“Buttercup”]Dunno.

(Damn you, pinyinifier!)[/quote]

It’s getting increasingly difficult to get a bank account without an arc. Fewer banks are agreeing to it.

Fair enough, I suppose. You need two utility bills or official letters, mailed to your address to prove you live where you say you do, and a clear creditr history on both your name and your address in the UK. As well as photo ID such as a passport.

Before I got mine, my cell phone company told me I needed one for a service contract, but my colleague sweet-talked the saleswoman to let me float by with a passport and a business card with a Taiwan address.[/quote]

Unless the policy of a particular bank is different you can open an account with your passport and Unified ID Number (available from the immigration agency).

Your colleague probably co-signed your cellphone application because there is no provider I know of that has such a policy.

Edit: Taishin is one bank that allows an account to be opened with passport + ID number.

Hmm, some misinformation in this thread I think.

No, at least not a local license. You can drive on a foreign license with accompanying international driver’s license for up to 3 months, at which point you either have to try and convert it to a local license, get the time extended at the DMV or get an ARC and take a local test.

No. You cannot legally register a vehicle in your name without an ARC or Taiwanese ID.

Possible, as long as your country allows Taiwanese to buy real estate there. Also note that it IS possible for foreigners to get a mortgage without a co-signer, but in this case an ARC is required.

Yes.

Yes.

[quote=“kaiwen338”][quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“kaiwen338”]You need an ARC to open a Taiwan bank account. Fact.
[/quote]

I opened one with Zhonghua without one.[/quote]

You are luckier than I, as my bank of choice would not budge. I had to make multiple visits to my bank, and it was so arduous I thought about just using my mattress as a vault.[/quote]

I’m just jumping into this conversation, but I thought I’d respond, that with a passport and other proofs of person, you can go to the police station and get a permission slip to open a bank account. Especially if you are trying to register a foreign company.

Isn’t Zhonghua a telephone company? which is even harder without an ARC.

My wife wants us to buy a house here in Taiwan, I have said no way because I lose extensive rights if she were to die.

[/quote]

Unless the rules have (very) recently been changed, that’s not true. I opened an account with Bank of Taiwan. I did have to get a ‘tax ID No.’ though.

However, HSBC wouldn’t entertain me without an ARC, so I suspect it’s the bank’s own rules that govern this.

Indecently, I recently got an ARC and that tax ID no. is now my ARC No.

What rights would you lose? We’re house-hunting right now.

NO you can not, is what I understand.