Think landlord wants to steal my deposit

as I understand it by law you’re allowed 1 month deposit returned even if you break contract and move out.

I am 8 months into a year contract but there is maintenance in the building starting at 8am that makes rest or sleeping impossible. I intend to break contract and move away, I informed my landlord of the situation and politely asked to discuss the deposit payments but they have left me on read for a week and aren’t picking up calls.

I’ve asked Taiwanese friends what to do and the answers range from “sue” to suck it up and lose your 2 month deposit. I read some old posts here saying you should hint at asking for tax receipts and that might encourage the landlord to pay out lest they get reported. Anyone have any advice?

How it is written in your signed contract?
Once I get full 2 months due to the move initiated by landlord unhappy I take care sick dying stray dog.
Once I get full 2 months due to the move triggered by building malfunction causing it molded badly.
Once I get 1 month only due to I move from New Taipei to Taipei due to work.
In all time, I never initiate to mention the deposit, the landlord eventually told me whether he/she will return 1 or 2 months.

So the landlord stole my deposit
took a month and charged me half the second month for “fees”

Didn’t you argue about it?

Well, were they legitimate fees? Did you leave the place a mess? If not, you should take all the furniture with you. :joy:

if your contract allows you to break it with a penalty.

And if it does, usually the landlord will have the same right. So it’s not necessarily a positive thing if one’s contract contains that passage.

I wouldn’t even take the furniture of most rentals in Taiwan for free…

4 Likes

to be fair, those book store contracts rarely hold up in court. they are just simply a peice of evidence, if it comes to that, it is a fight and that means also a popularity contest with the judge. not worth the fight, most people in business understand this and that’s why they are so easy to take advantage of peoole. it’s not tlworth the fight.

going to court means.you will lose time and possibly money. over such little.value, the only real reason most people go to court is based on ethics. which is fully justified and worth it. but many people dont have it in them. it may takes months or years. decide if it’s worth it. this is why so many people appear to have that quitter attitude and just say fuck it. but that’s up to you.

personally, I think anywhere can have maintenance. I would stay and finish the lease. but that’s me. if you cant get any rest, that’s harsh. but end of the day, no judge will really be on your side because buildings need maintenance and that is honestly very acceptable. if they are using jack hammers at 3am, that’s different. then you need to record everything and provide proof. that level of record keeping is probably going to make you lose more sleep than the maintenance, but it is an option.