This arrest brought to you by

Don’t businesses and private citizens ALREADY donate to local police forces anyway Jaboney? I see stickers on lots of cars back home “Member of the State Police Rotary” or some damn thing.

Are you saying that placards ala taxis shouldn’t be placed on police cars? Yes, I agree. However, it doesn’t stop any “influence” that large donors receive.

Now when LA Court TV “Brought to you by the Bloods” happens…

Well, I was laughing the whole time I was searching for Roscoe’s picture, so I knew I must have been close to your thinking.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Don’t businesses and private citizens ALREADY donate to local police forces anyway Jaboney? I see stickers on lots of cars back home “Member of the State Police Rotary” or some damn thing.[/quote] Also problematic, but a question of degree. There are good reasons for depicting justice as blind. Making a show of financially supporting the police lifts a corner of the blindfold, with a wink and nudge. It’s corrosive.

You haven’t addressed my hypothetical. What would be the impact of a police vehicle advertising your competitors, parked in front of your place of business? No need to assume ill-intent: unintended consequences suffice.

Alternatively, if Dunkin’ Donuts sponsored the police, but they consistently went into Tim Horton’s for coffee, would that be on? I suspect that either they’d be encouraged to go to their sponsors, or lose their sponsorship. For a private business, that’s fine. For a public institution, it’s just not on.

I stay away from hypotheticals. They cut your fingers. I’ve already stated that I don’t think adverts should be placed on cop cars.

Hypotheticals - gateway thinking to tinfoil hats. :slight_smile:

Hypotheticals aren’t needed for this incident, either - it’s been done in other places. Is it a good idea? Probably not, but it’s hardly worth much outrage. Small potatoes.

JD, What happened to Penn? You had my vote for avatar of the week there.