This Month In Taiwan talks about Forumosa.com

[quote="[color=red]
The August Edition of This Month in Taiwan
[/color]"][b][size=150]Discussions on Demand

Hmmm, I wonder who wrote that…CHO!

[quote=“This Month in Taiwan”]Its free, its informative, its run by volunteers[/quote]…its apostrophe free :?

Good lord! This month in Taiwan actually has an article on something that may actually prove useful to someone turning up green to Taiwan.

Well done.

HG

If the editor viewed this place regularly we’d all be in court. (But I think he does.)

C’mon Chou, with a circulation of 40,000, you must have plenty of cash to at least give the editors a six-pack of Qingdao (and a bag of ice).

Its a deal, you have a contract. But you know, you’re off the list if you drink the qingdao on the rocks, or even straight up for that matter.

Chou

Related question: Are there any plans to put TMIT, or parts of it, online each month? The only site I found had an edition that was about three years old.

You’ll have to wait for the press relase on that one. No scoops from tight lipped chou.

Chou

So Chou doesn’t give a hoot if people know where he works???

He,
Chou is making revolutionary changes to the rag that was. Or so I hear. He should be proud of his, uh-complishments…

I think that “This Month in Taiwan” has improved greatly under its new stewardship. To be sure, there is still plenty of room for improvement, but I think the editors (editor ?) should be praised for making improvements.

And if there really is a need for more eyes to look over content, or help with proofing, then perhaps the powers-that-be at the publication can put the word out. Surely, paying a reasonable wage to a freelance editor to come in (or sit at home with an Interenet connection) and give the content a thorough proofing before the magazine goes to the printer is a worthwhile investment.

If paying someone to do that is too expenisive, then you have to question whether the editor really wants to take the magazine to a higher level.

Fee,

I think you missed the previous postings. Chou is offering editors a six-pack of Qingdao and a bag of ice. But you’re right – terse and clean copy shows readers and advertisers that the magazine cares about quality. So does good design – look at the Taiwan Fun cover. Doesn’t catch the eye at all and the logo is horrific.

Surely the magazine already has a native English speaking editor. If the thing is full of typos and Chinglish, then the editor’s not doing what he’s being paid to do. Freelance editors indeed! :unamused:

[quote=“monkey”]
Surely the magazine already has a native English speaking editor. If the thing is full of typos and Chinglish, then the editor’s not doing what he’s being paid to do. Freelance editors indeed! :unamused:[/quote]

Uh… no, not really. Just one bad writer. but were working on it.

Chou

OK, good point, Monkey. But I believe I read on another thread on Forumosa that the editor of an in-flight magazine still has his/her content proofed by a certain Wolf. I do not know if this is true.

Of course, a native-English-speaking editor should catch most of the typos and the Chinglish. But what’s wrong with have another set of eyes proofing the content?!

I think that this is where a freelance editor (or freelance proofreader or freelance copy editor–whatever you want to call him/her) could come in. And I think that this person should be paid well–and not with a six-pack of Qingdao beer.

Sure, if Chou can get someone to do this for free, all the more power to him. But I ain’t gonna be tha one–my Enlgish sux!

[quote=“fee”][quote]
Sure, if Chou can get someone to do this for free, all the more power to him. But I ain’t gonna be tha one–my Enlgish sux![/quote][/quote]

Lets calculate, at the current rate of promotion I should be financial director … when hell freezes over.

Freelance rates? Please do tell.

Chou

Plus bag of ice.

But it could be some kind of barter deal. I notice that This Month in Taiwan has lots of restaurants. Maybe some gift certificates to fine establishments like Papa Giovanni would be inducement for some.

OK, good point, Monkey yadda yadda yadda …[/quote]

Let’s compare apples with apples here. There are three mistakes in the first five words of that sorry excuse for a story!

All right, Monkey. Point taken–you are right.