This website has an annoying Taipei bias

I guess it is a bit like when people order food saying 肉炒飯 or 肉炒麵 or something like that with the assumption that “肉” is refering to pork. If people just say i am looking for this or that without mentioning a specific area other people just assume it is around Taipei.

LOL. Taipei and Taiwan is like Paris and the rest of France.

About half of Taiwan’s roughly 28,000 white collar foreign work permits holders are held by people living in Taipei City (11k) and New Taipei City (3,000). Taichung and Kaohsiung have around 2,000 each.

Note that the 28,000 white collar professional work permit holders include English teachers (c. 7,300) and missionaries (c. 1,800).

You can find these numbers on the Ministry of Labor’s website.

[quote=“Feiren”]About half of Taiwan’s roughly 28,000 white collar foreign work permits holders are held by people living in Taipei City (11k) and New Taipei City (3,000). Taichung and Kaohsiung have around 2,000 each.

Note that the 28,000 white collar professional work permit holders include English teachers (c. 7,300) and missionaries (c. 1,800).

You can find these numbers on the Ministry of Labor’s website.[/quote]
So many missionaries. What exactly do they do here besides acting like salespeople? The ones in my area tend to just hang out at 85c with a few locals or they are just walking around not doing a whole lot.

It’s true that Forumosa does center around Taipei but the second post helped the original poster and the person responsible once lived in a smaller place. The bias is hardly surprising as most people don’t gravitate to smaller areas in any country.

The website always had a bias towards Taipei, which has caused it to be more biased over the years, as there’s nothing much here for people in Taichung or Kaoshiung etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, according to the numbers given by Feiren, the Taipei-centric conversations on Forumosa simply reflect the geographical reality of this community. But obviously it’s better to have people posting from all over the island, so all of us Taipei/Xinbeiren should make an effort to be less annoying. :smiley:

I’m still feeling slighted that my Buffalo of the Day thread slid off the board into oblivion, thanks to the flagrant cat bias of this forum. :bluemad:

Ugh, I don’t even like leaving Xinyi. Bitan is enough of the rustic south for me.

… and Wulai is beyond the pale entirely.

Hello! There is nothing wrong with the site. The site is called Forumosa. The people are giving information about places they know. They can’t help that they know what is going on in their own cities more than others, so, if the majority of people give information about Taipei,that means that the majority of people helping out live in Taipei. The forum is fine. There is something wrong with posters in other areas that don’t want to help.

How are we users, especially new members, meant to know this though? I’ve been using this forum for over 3 years and until I started this thread, I genuinely thought this was a general Taiwan ex-pats forum. :ponder:

The really confusing part is that if you go to the Living in Taiwan forum, every thread does specify a location, even people posting about Taipei?!
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewforum.php?f=8

Maybe someone could update the site rules?

Now you start to understand why there are actually fewer posters from central and South Taiwan than there should be. There’s no effort to reach out to them either, which ones thinks is a little odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are we users, especially new members, meant to know this though? I’ve been using this forum for over 3 years and until I started this thread, I genuinely thought this was a general Taiwan ex-pats forum. :ponder:

The really confusing part is that if you go to the Living in Taiwan forum, every thread does specify a location, even people posting about Taipei?!

Maybe someone could update the site rules?[/quote]

Yet the world still turns. :cactus:

I’m not saying it again: Non Taipei Citizens Forum already!

Maybe someone could update the site rules?[/quote]

Yet the world still turns. :cactus:[/quote]

One of the many things I wish would just stop or slow down.

How are we users, especially new members, meant to know this though? I’ve been using this forum for over 3 years and until I started this thread, I genuinely thought this was a general Taiwan ex-pats forum. :ponder: [/quote]

It’s a private website maintained by a handful of part-time volunteers, not a federally funded outreach program.

If new members are sentient enough to realize that Taipei is biggerer than all the other towns and villages then they are well on the road to Forumosan literacy. :thumbsup:

This bias is sadly not only in the forum.

Everything you see on TVs or Newspapers seems to happening only in the Taipei zone!

That this forum is biased toward Taipei should come as no surprise: most participants (indeed, most expats) live in or near Taipei, so given no other information, it is reasonable to assume a poster lives in the Taipei area, as that is the maximum likelihood. (Yeah, I majored in Statistics.)

Knowing this, it would be helpful to provide the pertinent information. For instance: “Where can I find computer supplies?” will get a reply like “Guanghua Market”. But “Where can I find computer supplies? I live in Kaohsiung.” would solicit more helpful replies.

If you (in general) are from outside Taipei and are dismayed with the Taipei-centrism, you can help by contributing more non-Taipei-oriented content. Taipei-centrism isn’t the forum’s mission; the forum operators want it to be Taipei-wide. This is where you come in.

Exactly. It’s great to have posts coming in from the less-populated (and more beautiful :slight_smile: ) areas of Taiwan - we all want that, I think. But the website is in no position to compel anyone to post. Unless they want to start paying us, in which case I volunteer to be Forumosa’s man on the ground in Orchid Island.

:happybiker:

See, even the typos are Taipei-centric