Those with Marriage ARC for sometime: Why have you not applied APRC?

Hi,

One was browsing through when one stumbled upon a few fellas who have not taken up APRC ( Marriage or Open) even after fulfilling the requirements.

Since one has landed here from DC and looking forward to understand this.

Why haven’t you applied for the APRC?
Is it due to the taxation issues? Or due to financial requirements? Or some other issues?

Looking for perspectives here…
Note: One has landed in Taiwan with/FOR the wife. One looks forward to stay here for life or at-least a decade or so . One works remotely. One is not looking forward to naturalization.

1 Like

For me, it was mainly because there doesn’t seem to be much difference between the two. You already have an open work permit and get most of the benefits of an APRC, so why deal with the hassle of getting one.

I can only really think of two benefits for an APRC. If you get a divorce you can still stay in Taiwan. The second being you can leave Taiwan for an extended period of time.

I will say I am planning on getting an APRC later this month since I plan on leaving Taiwan for an extended period and don’t want to have to deal with losing my ARC.

From my understanding the marriage APRC is not as great as a work based one. The work one you only have to be in Taiwan 1 day every 5 years. Marriage I believe is 183 days average over 5 years.

2 Likes

Welcome to Taiwan, One.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

Among the hassles to summit for an aprc , do you have to show income proof even in a marriage arc?
I ask because one is not employed in Taiwan.

It begs another question ,as one comprehends, after the first year, one will be able to get triennial arc, is it also necessary to stay a certain number of days each year or one can just renew before one’s permit expiration.

One is glad to acquaint with you.

One is also glad to find this forum.

One found this irc after one and his wife experienced racism in a bank a few weeks back. One came to Taiwan in January. One’s wife became angry with bank guardsman and one learnt the realities of this country quickly.

One works in science.

One expresses deep gratitude to you all.

@cats_meow and @11173

2 Likes

I believe this is in the draft amendment. currently still 183 days in a year.

iirc, it can be a household income proof including parents’ income in Taiwan.

no

yes

1 Like

One wishes you well and expresses gratitude for answering promptly.

One observes that you have been in here for sometime, may one inquire about a financial cpa or lawyer, if thou knows one. One is not horribly rich.

One is also perplexed that one cannot open a bank account without work. One is reduced only to a post office account.

Though one feels one is not welcome here in this nation state. One feels welcome here though.

Because I will apply for naturalisation

Really no difference in day to day to life. Have had to change card many times due to moves, that would be the same with APRC anyway.
If I left Taiwan I would only return with family, so overall very little difference. Might finally apply for one when time later this year.

I haven’t applies yet, but I was told I need to either show that I have $400,000 in my bank account or show them the document that shows my salary and that I paid taxes every month last year, can’t remember the name of it right now.

It probably is, I just remember my friend showing my the amendment a few weeks ago. I still think it’s kind of crap compared to what the others get.

I don’t think this is a firm requirement. Has one tried different banks or even different branches of the same bank?

3 Likes

i don’t know for what kind of things you need a cpa or lawyer, but @Bree might help. she may be a cpa or something like that. as for a lawyer, local government or LAF provide some legal counceling for free.

Welcome to the forum Number One.

You can open a bank account without having employment in Taiwan, as @rooftopclown said try some other places, even different branches of the same bank.

1 Like

@Marco knows both. Affordable too

2 Likes

I guess there’s not much to have an APRC when comparing to a marriage ARC. In one hand, you don’t need to renew it every 2 or 3 years, in the other hand, you have to pay more than 10, 000 to get it.
I think it ends up the same in the end.

You get the APRC, the spouse can’t use it against you.

For me, it is about security.

4 Likes

That’s the core yes. Not only the spousal aggression but on an ARC it could be hard to get a renewal if caught up in some legal wrangle.
And it is possible to end up unemployed in Taiwan; especially if getting older and the ever shrinking teaching EFL scene.

2 Likes