Thoughts on the untimely death of a foreigner

That’s fine. It’s an opinion. I support the drink driving laws. I also support not licensing people to ride motorbikes unless they are competent, and the only jurisdiction I know of that takes this seriously is the UK.

Rank the following:

1. Driving without having checked your tyre pressure.
  2. Driving in fog without using dipped headlights.
  3. Driving knowing your tyres are bald.
  4. Reversing out of a driveway onto a main road.
  5. Riding a 1000cc motorbike without proper training.
  6. As (5) and without a licence.
  7. Driving a car knowing that your vision has become blurred, say, on the way to see an optometerist.
  8. Speeding on the way to the hospital with someone in your car who needs urgent medical attention.
  9. Driving after 2 pints of lager in Taiwan c.1992, when it was not illegal to do so.
  10. Driving after 3 pints of lager in Taiwan c.1992, when it was not illegal to do so.
  11. Driving after 4 pints of lager in Taiwan c.1992, when it was not illegal to do so.
  12. Driving after 5 pints of lager in Taiwan c.1992, when it was not illegal to do so.
  13. Driving completely paralytic in Taiwan with diplomatic immunity from prosecution.
  14. A police pursuit driving instructor test driving a new unmarked police car at speeds of up to 160mph on a four-lane motorway (the M1 in the UK) just after dawn without specific permission to do so, but with the recording devices turned on and not hiding the fact that he had done so, claiming “in the execution of my duties”.
  15. Nigel Mansell, ex Formula-1 World Champion, driving his Ferrari F40 down the motorway at speeds of up to 150mph for the sheer hell of it.

and so on…

Driving home pissed from the pub is stupid and unnecessary, but I am surprised at the level of vitriol expressed here when a couple of foreigners die.

My “stupid kids” comment is good for all but the last three. 13 should get his balls crushed in a rusty vice. 14 should slapped on the back of the head and 15 should be banished to live in shame on a small island with no roads. An F40 and he got busted for 150mph. What a pussy! What an embarrassment! What the fuck was the matter with him? Couldn’t find third?

1. Driving without having checked your tyre pressure. - Its ‘tires’ and thats what gas stations are for.
  2. Driving in fog without using dipped headlights. - Thats what FOG LIGHTS are for.
  3. Driving knowing your tyres are bald. - Its ‘tires’ and get a friggin job…and new tires.
  4. Reversing out of a driveway onto a main road. - “Its nice to check twice”
  5. Riding a 1000cc motorbike without proper training. - see Darwins Law
  6. As (5) and without a licence. - Suspended or lost?..see Darwins Law
  7. Driving a car knowing that your vision has become blurred, say, on the way to see an optometerist. - Drive slow.
  8. Speeding on the way to the hospital with someone in your car who needs urgent medical attention. - Flash lights, sound horn and wave widly.
  9. Driving after 2 pints of lager in Taiwan c.1992, when it was not illegal to do so. - whats the question?
  10. Driving after 3 pints of lager in Taiwan c.1992, when it was not illegal to do so. - whats the question?
  11. Driving after 4 pints of lager in Taiwan c.1992, when it was not illegal to do so. - drive slower…whats the question?
  12. Driving after 5 pints of lager in Taiwan c.1992, when it was not illegal to do so. - Stupid is as stuoid does.
  13. Driving completely paralytic in Taiwan with diplomatic immunity from prosecution. - Time for a ‘Glasgow Kiss’ and a taxi.
  14. A police pursuit driving instructor test driving a new unmarked police car at speeds of up to 160mph on a four-lane motorway (the M1 in the UK) just after dawn without specific permission to do so, but with the recording devices turned on and not hiding the fact that he had done so, claiming “in the execution of my duties”. - No harm, No foul.
  15. Nigel Mansell, ex Formula-1 World Champion, driving his Ferrari F40 down the motorway at speeds of up to 150mph for the sheer hell of it. - “Buy the Lad a pint on me!”

[quote=“sandman”]14 should slapped on the back of the head[/quote]He was originally slapped on the back, but now the CPS has appealed. It wasn’t somewhere as wide and straight as the M1, the M54 is a two lane motorway. (This might be a completely different story, but there are smiliarities)
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl … 906830.stm
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl … 559173.stm

As for Lord Lucan’s list of things, most of which are technically illegal, well, it’s not illegal to drink bleach, but it’s not a great idea either, and since most people are aware that it will not be a happy stomach they wake up to (if indeed they wake up again) I don’t think you can say it happens to anyone by accident, unless there is an awful lot of duct tape and a funnel involved. If you’re an alcoholic, and you don’t wish to drink/drive drunk, stay the hell out of bars. You are responsible for what you do, and it’s not like there is no help available if you truly have such a grave problem with alcohol that it calls you in off the street with a siren voice to lure you to drive your scooter after getting you totally whacked.

There’s law and there’s personal responsibility/common sense. Unfortunately of late the latter has fallen out of fashion. Nothing is anyone’s responsibility anymore – everyone was driven to do whatever it was by their childhood/their disease/their lack of an IPod/whatever.

Last time I checked, getting shit-faced in Taiwan at a bar was a choice, not something imposed on all English teachers by a red-faced Foreign Affairs police team who showed up each Saturday night with cattle prods to herd the “apple…banana…cherry” crew down for a few brewskis after a hard day at the buxiban. I’m surprised they haven’t slapped a “pub tax” on foreign visa applications though…good way to raise a couple million NT for the public coffers!

Ironlady, :roflmao: . Your gift for words always helps to drive the point home…so to speak.

I reiterate what I said earlier, addictions are not excuses for using your brain. Not every alcoholic decides to drive drunk nor hides behind their problem as a way to overlook poor judgment. I know of some people who decide that if they know they are going to get drunk, to not bother driving themselves there so there’s no temptation to drive themselves home. Being young is no reason to be stupid. If they have the brains enough to manage to get themselves to Taiwan in the first place, then they should have the brains enough to not do something as irrational and preventable as driving drunk.

And while it’s a shame that she lost her life so unnecessarily, I’m also relieved that she didn’t take someone else’s in the process.

Not really.

An alcoholic has far less “choice” than you think. The loss of one’s moral compass leads one to do scary things.[/quote]

But a binge drinker does. As much as addictions are tragic, no one ever puts the bottle or glass into someone’s hands and forces them to drink. It is a choice. The lack of willpower and ability to delay gratification does not excuse the lack of responsibility. [/quote]

Yep, what she said sums it up for me. Thanks ImanioU you owe me a rootbeer :smiley:

Tainan Cowboy = youse a fool, man :roflmao:

Ironlady
[quote]
There’s law and there’s personal responsibility/common sense. Unfortunately of late the latter has fallen out of fashion. Nothing is anyone’s responsibility anymore – everyone was driven to do whatever it was by their childhood/their disease/their lack of an IPod/whatever. [/quote] You forgot the Twinkie and the McDonald’s hot coffee defense. :laughing:

[quote]Last time I checked, getting shit-faced in Taiwan at a bar was a choice, not something imposed on all English teachers by a red-faced Foreign Affairs police team who showed up each Saturday night with cattle prods to herd the “apple…banana…cherry” crew down for a few brewskis after a hard day at the buxiban. I’m surprised they haven’t slapped a “pub tax” on foreign visa applications though…good way to raise a couple million NT for the public coffers![/quote] This could actually be a good way to meet a guy for the forgien gals. :laughing:

As long as it’s a Barq’s I don’t care. (root) :beer: