Threats of fines for feeding stray dogs

[quote]Good lord. You said that a couple times already, and Stimpy made it clear that Taiwan strays are starving animals.
[/quote]
I do not believe that is universally true in Taiwan. The strays down my way seem very well fed, as food is left outside all over the place for them.

And really my point was that you were exaggerating what your email person wrote, saying that the dogs were starving, and then using that as fodder against me, maoman, and anyone else who suggested not feeding the dogs. To me, that is an antagonistic position.

Hello! That is my point. So tell me, how do you extrapolate starving dogs from the ones that are being fed in your example???

So, this comes back to my other point, the one closer to the topic, how can you justify SUSTAINING the stray dog population?

What is the option to end the problem once and for all, CNR, don’t feed for 6 months, then cull those remaining? I don’t think you want to go in that direction either.

So your alternative seems to be CNR and sustain them.

To me that is a bit ineffective as there will still be diseased dogs running around the parks; and will people only feed neutered animals? Impossible.

Stray Dog wrote:[quote]
All those in favour say ‘Aye’.[/quote]
I am ALL for education,but the fact of the matter is that the dogs are STILL going to be there for years, even if ALL of them are neutered and no new dogs are introduced into the population.

I just don’t see how letting the stray population die out on its own, naturally, is a plausible method of ridding the parks and streets of the dogs in a timely manner.

I really do understand the humane issue here guys, and 99% of the blame goes on the people who let their dogs go free, but these are stray dogs, not endangered tigers, and not sacred cows. They can be aggressive and most surely have some form of disease or another.

Either we want them gone altogether, all off the streets, all out of the parks, or we don’t.

don’t feed stray dogs. don’t release dogs in the first place, but certainly don’t feed them.

then more of them will starve, and there will be less wild dogs terrorizing the neighbourhood, attacking children, running out into the wheels of my and your bicycle, eating all the small animals they can find, so there are no lizards, frogs, birds left, and generally shitting in your local creeks and streams.

two reasons for stray dog problem here: people dumping puppies once they get to the ‘not cute any more’ or the "ohmigod, i can’t look after this horse in my apartment’ stages,
and buddhists thinking they are gaining karma by freeing captive animals.

in australia there is a wonderful law that empowers one to shoot any dog or cat found more than a mile from permanent habitation. reduces the number of feral pests somewhat, but not enough. responsible pet woners do not abandon dogs, that is cruel and heartless, and condemns the dog to a life of semistarvation and disease. better to get rid of them, or at least sterilise them. getting rid of them is by far the better option for the rest of the environment: less shit all round.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote]Good lord. You said that a couple times already, and Stimpy made it clear that Taiwan strays are starving animals.
[/quote]
I do not believe that is universally true in Taiwan.[/quote]Oh my… No comments there… [quote]The strays down my way seem very well fed, as food is left outside all over the place for them.[/quote]Without that food they would starve. Period. Dogs are dependant of people. It’s that simple.

[quote]And really my point was that you were exaggerating what your email person wrote, saying that the dogs were starving, and then using that as fodder against me, maoman, and anyone else who suggested not feeding the dogs. To me, that is an antagonistic position.[/quote]I think it’s bloddy clear that what I mean is that they will starve if no one feeds them. Read the thread title. Not an exageration, and not antagonistic at all.

[quote]
Hello! That is my point. So tell me, how do you extrapolate starving dogs from the ones that are being fed in your example???[/quote]You don’t get it, do you? They will starve IF, I repeat IF people are issued fines, and if they actually stop feeding them. Go back to page 1 and read the thread title. Besides, other dogs do starve, and the discussion here is not specific to the parks I quoted in the OP.

So, this comes back to my other point, the one closer to the topic, how can you justify SUSTAINING the stray dog population?[/quote]Now go back a post or two. I’ve answered that question, and Sean proposed a very decent solution.

How is that? Controlled feeding areas? Are the dogs going to be fenced in those areas? Or just fed there and then go on their well fed way?

I think you guys are trying to have it both ways. Well, what of the hardliners like me who want ALL strays off the roads and out of the parks, and the tugs at our heartstrings ring empty?

An ongoing effort to sustain the stray dog population just seems antithetical to your positions as animal rights advocates. You need first to try to get some semblance of control over the situation first then implement the programs you propose. You are in a quagmire here and 20,000 more feeders won’t help the situation overall.

Educate people on the one hand, and get rid of the dogs on the other. That’s a hard line all right, but it seems more practical than the ones you guys are offering.

[quote=“jdsmith”]So, this comes back to my other point, the one closer to the topic, how can you justify SUSTAINING the stray dog population? …

…your alternative seems to be CNR and sustain them…

To me that is a bit ineffective as there will still be diseased dogs running around the parks; and will people only feed neutered animals? Impossible…

I am ALL for education,but the fact of the matter is that the dogs are STILL going to be there for years, even if ALL of them are neutered and no new dogs are introduced into the population…

I just don’t see how letting the stray population die out on its own, naturally, is a plausible method of ridding the parks and streets of the dogs in a timely manner…

Either we want them gone altogether, all off the streets, all out of the parks, or we don’t.[/quote]

I’m not sure you entirely understand the issue and the effectiveness of CNR; you understand the problem well, though.

CNR (with education) is the ONLY known method that REALLY works in reducing the stray population … it just so happens to also be the most humane.

With CNR, you treat the sick dogs. All are vaccinated, and all are desexed (as many as you can catch, anyways, and at least 67 percent; this has never been a problem). No dogs are spreading disease. By vaccinating the bulk of the population, you eradicate those diseases; by removing dogs entirely from the habitat, you are leaving the majority unvaccinated and therefore disease would spread (the same model as in human diseases.) The same goes for neutering: if you want to truly control the population, you MUST have the majority of the population unable to breed. If you remove all the dogs you can catch, the remainder will all be able to breed, and they will.

If you want dogs off the street and out of your public areas, you need to deal with the people who put them there, catch and desex and vaccinate the majority, and slowly reduce the availability of food to those you can’t catch. That’s it. Catch and kill may feel good for some people and may make some officials look like they’re doing something, but it is ineffective in anything other than the immediate short term.

Here are some links that may help (India employed the catch-and-kill method that some of you seem to love so much for over a century, and it made matters WORSE; CNR with education is fixing the problem):

wsdindia.org/FAQs/faqs.htm

karmayog.com/dogs/sterlization.htm

And from a now defunct site about the stray problem in Turkey:

[quote]Neuter And Return
There are only 3 ways to solve stray dog problems:

* To kill or remove every single fertile bitch.
* To remove the food source, i.e. somehow prevent animal lovers feeding unsupervised dogs and remove all rubbish from the streets so that the dogs starve to death. 
* Or "Neuter and Return".

Extermination campaigns, for example the indiscriminate poisoning or shooting of dogs at night irrespective of whether they are neutered and vaccinated or indeed pets with owners, have never succeeded anywhere in the world.

‘Neuter and Return’, the policy advocated by the World Health Organisation and the World Society for the Protection of Animals, solves the problem permanently, although dogs have to be tolerated on the streets for 5-8 years for it to succeed. Providing it is implemented to the edge of the urban area it is however a permanent and humane solution which politicians can be proud of.

“In the long term, control of reproduction is by far the most effective strategy of dog population management.” - W.H.O., Geneva, Guidelines for Dog Population Management, page 72.

‘Neuter and Return’ must be implemented in conjunction with education campaigns to explain the importance of neutering, of vaccination and of preventing dogs from reproducing.

Turkey needs to invest money and effort now to solve the problem forever.

Stray dog populations anywhere depend solely on the amount of food available. Nature adjusts the population to the carrying capacity of the territory. If just one fertile female escapes being killed or captured she can breed up to 67,000 offspring in 6 years. That is why killing dogs can never succeed unless every single female is exterminated. That is why Turkish streets are still full of dogs.

If however the carrying capacity of an area is filled with sterile animals the population will gradually die out, providing no fertile dogs can infiltrate from surrounding areas and providing freshly abandoned dogs are collected by dog wardens, police and residents (as in developed countries).

“Removal and killing of dogs should never be considered as the most effective way of dealing with a problem of surplus dogs in the community: it has no effect whatsoever on the root cause of the problem.” – Guidelines for Dog Population Management, W.H.O. Geneva 1990 (page 74).

“In none of the study areas did the elimination of dogs by any method have any significant long term effect on dog population size.” –Report of W.H.O. Consultation on Dog Ecology Studies related to Rabies Control, Geneva, 22-25 February 1988 (page 11).
[/quote]

One important point: for CNR to work, it must be conducted within a specific population and within a limited time frame; randomly neutering and returning stray dogs keeps the population down to a degree but does not constitute a truly effective solution.

In a nutshell, fining people who feed strays is not going to solve the problem. There are other factors that must be considered and dealt with effectively if we are ever to see Taiwan’s streets mostly free of dogs.

That’s probably not a bad idea in itself… :laughing:

which is why a ‘shoot on sight’ policy should be instigated. stray dogs, that is, not the feeders. although that would certainly be a useful deterrent.

much as i love cats and dogs, i have done my fair share of getting rid of them in oz for cat exclusion research (Rick Shine lab, Uni of Sydney). removing the cats allows the return of normal levels of wildlife to devastated areas in five years.

Thanks for the links Sean. I am very interested not only in how to combat this problem and in the causes, but in how REALISTICALLY this problem can be solved in Taiwan.

[quote]
If however the carrying capacity of an area is filled with sterile animals the population will gradually die out, providing no fertile dogs can infiltrate from surrounding areas and providing freshly abandoned dogs are collected by dog wardens, police and residents (as in developed countries). [/quote]

And the boldened part is why I think this will never ever work in Taiwan.

Are there any case studies of CNY that worked on a large scale Sean?

That’s probably not a bad idea in itself… :laughing:[/quote]

Ha! :laughing: That’s actually my suggestion as a solution to the majority of problems in this world. :wink:

[quote=“urodacus”]which is why a ‘shoot on sight’ policy should be instigated. stray dogs, that is, not the feeders. although that would certainly be a useful deterrent.

much as i love cats and dogs, i have done my fair share of getting rid of them in oz for cat exclusion research (Rick Shine lab, Uni of Sydney). removing the cats allows the return of normal levels of wildlife to devastated areas in five years.[/quote]

I would love to see the studies that show shooting dogs on site effectively reduces or combats the stray problem. Do you have any links?

None. Chinese New Year has never been an effective solution to the stray problem.

Strange. I thought I might get some rational debate of my proposal for action going forward. Instead, it’s the same tired emotional response that we started out with. You know feeding unfixed strays increases the population, but you want to do it anyway. You know blaming the ex-owners is pointless, but you would rather rant about them than actually approach the problem.
I’m as disappointed in this lack of logic as you probably are by my lack of compassion.

i don’t have any dog links, and the cat studies are done in areas of remote australia with not much problem of people releasing more of them. but blind freddy can see that if the dogs are culled faster than they are introduced, then they disappear. and shooting in the head is a prety humane way of killing.

None. Chinese New Year has never been an effective solution to the stray problem.[/quote]

God I hate you sometimes. :raspberry:

:rainbow:

[quote=“redwagon”]Strange. I thought I might get some rational debate of my proposal for action going forward. Instead, it’s the same tired emotional response that we started out with. You know feeding unfixed strays increases the population, but you want to do it anyway. You know blaming the ex-owners is pointless, but you would rather rant about them than actually approach the problem.
I’m as disappointed in this lack of logic as you probably are by my lack of compassion.[/quote]

What are you talking about? Who are you talking to?

Blind Freddy lives up to his name well. Do your research. Check the links I posted. Shooting, poisoning, catching and killing, beating to death - none work.

How would you tackle the problem if it were people who’s population were too high? :wink:

None. Chinese New Year has never been an effective solution to the stray problem.[/quote]

God I hate you sometimes. [/quote]

The links I showed you were for India, where the problem is being eradicated. I’ll post more academic studies as I find them.

Stray Population Control Studied

Re. cats:

[quote]And speaking of feral cats, researchers at the Center for Companion Animal Health at the University of California, Davis, have modeled population dynamics for what is still a little-understood group of animals who survive in the midst of human society.

Specifically, the study sought to understand whether TNR actually does have an effect on feral cat populations, and how many cats need to be neutered to reach that effect. Based on data from the San Diego County Feral Cat Coalition, the researchers found that, according to its models, 35 percent of the female cats in a colony must be spayed for the population to decline. [/quote]

cat are actually much much harder than dogs to shoot. but depite advocating it’s use here, i don’t think that shooting is a good option here. oz is very different to taiwan.

even with concerted efforts to micromanage populations by shooting, the success rate is low, and the only succesful elimination of cats and foxes (feral dogs are not a major research goal in oz) has been in combination with poisoning by 1080 (trifluroacetate poison in chick carcasses) (gabo island, Twyford et al, 2000). shooting is probably not an option here in taiwan, partly from the proximity of people to the dog’s range, but probably mostly from the lack of experienced and responsible shooters here. can’t see them being allowed to use 1080 here (if the experience in Bitan is any indication, maybe some one has already tried).

CNR does not particularly remove the problem, as it relies on stable territory formation by neutered dogs that then don’t breed. the problem lies not in how many animals breed, but the number of successful surviving pups: if there are still another 30 pups that year that survive , whether they all come from just one or two litters, or two each from fifteen litters is irrelevant. the leakage of unneutered animals into the controlled population will be huge, minimising its success. anyway, the desire to invest funds and the political will to go against the buddhists here is marginal at best too.

the continued catching and removing as many of the strays as possible is probably the best option given the continued release problem. one has to address the problem at both ends… which includes stopping buddhist temple programs for ‘life-release’ to gain karma (which often kill many more animals than are released). that, and eliminating the puppy-for-christmas phenomenon.

[quote=“redwagon”]Strange. I thought I might get some rational debate of my proposal for action going forward. Instead, it’s the same tired emotional response that we started out with. You know feeding unfixed strays increases the population, but you want to do it anyway. You know blaming the ex-owners is pointless, but you would rather rant about them than actually approach the problem.
I’m as disappointed in this lack of logic as you probably are by my lack of compassion.[/quote]You do have some excellent suggestions, but I did not want to get into discussing your hypothetical strategy because you sustained issuing fines to the people who feed strays, and I oppose to that very strongly. I truly believe that this problem can, and will be solved without having to starve dogs. The government or local municipalities may end up legislating against feeding strays, but people will continue to feed them. It’s the principle of it that bothers me.(mind me, I’m sure some people will stop feeding if issued fines)

It’s a controversial subject, redwagon. What can I say? I don’t think that seeking a humane approach to solving this problem is lacking in logic at all. And starving dogs, is not humane. :idunno:

so you’d rather have fat stray dogs terrorizing innocent civilians who dare to take a walk in the park?

feeding stray dogs perpetuates the problem. in the first place, it is not humane to dump a dog in the forest when you are done with it. it is selfish and should not be supported by feeding them.

besides, if you can feed them, you can bloody well catch them and turn them into lucky paw charms, fertiliser and fur coats. think of the money, bob.