Throwing bricks at dogs

Funny you mention this. I was banging on a SUV’s window the other day…as he was doing his 4by 4ing in my park. And it looked like he was aiming for my dogs.

I think it was Ghandi who once said you can judge a man based on how he treats animals…I totally agree with this except of course I sure Ghandi meant man AND women, but hey thats getting too technical! :smiley:
:wink:

Anyway, forget throwing bricks AT dogs. If you want a bit of entertainment at the expense of your stupid critter friend, try throwing stones or bricks FOR him. Into a river or pond. Hours of fun – at least for the master.

Some tough-guy jogger - let’s call him Dick - ran past one of our rescue dogs as she was walking offleash in an otherwise unpopulated area (I didn’t know joggers frequented the place, but the other dogs, who have been known to nip or growl, I had kept on-leash anyway, including Charlie, our German shepherd, who has been trained as a guard dog). Toga, being the sweet, playful. friendly, dog that she is, ran a little with him, barking as she went. Dick stopped and stamped his feet and shouted at the dog (the typical response, and ironically the worst one). I told him, in Chinese, that she didn’t bite, called her back, and apologized to Dick for scaring him.

He turned and went on his way but then had a change of heart, it seemed, and came back and challenged the dog again, who was now standing quietly in front of me and away from him. Dick ran at her, shouting and stamping his feet again, and of course, she barked again, but stayed where she was. I shouted again that she doesn’t bite and called her toward me.

As she turned to come back, Dick started bent down and started sizing up rocks to throw. Now I’m shouting at the guy, still in Chinese, ‘Hey! I told you! She doesn’t bite. Don’t hit her!’ But Dick, being the tough-guy type, hurled a rock full-force at Toga, hitting her flank with a sickening thud and causing her to yelp in pain.

Another jogger got in between us as I launched at him, leashed dogs still in tow, but Dick seemed happy to fight. I tried to explain how stupid it is to throw rocks at dogs if you don’t want to make them aggressive, but my message, being punctuated with threats and profanities, was disregarded by Dick, who kept insisting that Toga be muzzled (she is only 13 kg - well below the legal requirement of 20 kg, and not an aggressive dog anyway.)

Dick is typical of people who do not understand how to behave around dogs, choosing the method of ‘defence’ that is most likely to get him hurt - by a dog or his owner.

Anyway, all the dogs are walked there on leash now, but next time I see Dick, I may have to let Charly go for a run; Toga is his girlfriend.

Don’t you guys just hate it when other people’s dogs shit on your lawn? :fume:

It’s like, “OK I’ll let the dog out now so he can shit on Stanley’s lawn. He won’t mind… such a nice guy.” :fume: :fume:

Am I the only one who hate idiot pet owners who can’t take care of their animals?

Should throw them with bricks, we should.

[quote=“stan”]Don’t you guys just hate it when other people’s dogs shit on your lawn? :fume:

It’s like, “OK I’ll let the dog out now so he can shit on Stanley’s lawn. He won’t mind… such a nice guy.” :fume: :fume:

Am I the only one who hate idiot pet owners who can’t take care of their animals?

Should throw them with bricks, we should.[/quote]

Yes the bricks should be thrown at the owners. I always have a bag in my pocket to clean up after my dogs.

Shit Stray Dog. I would have killed the guy.

Some people are scared of dogs. fact. some dogs are scared of people, fact.

I suggest if someone lives in a very crowded city then they don’t get a dog.
Unless of course you are re-homing a stray. I also suggest that if you have a dog in a city and think it has the right to free roam and jump on people including little kids, that then you attempt to train it not to do so. I love dogs but can understand why some people don’t like them jumping all over their kids or putting their paws onto a nice business suit, just before you go to a job interview for example.
If you have a dog in the city it is pretty basic to respect the rights of people that don’t like dogs not to have a dog jump up or at them. The woman however in the story if it is accurate sounds like an idiot. The dog had left already so any argument for a fear based self defence is not relevant, in her eyes she was carrying out an unjustified revenge attack. However lets respect the rights of dog dislikers as not everyone likes our friends and want to stroke them. That is their right not to be touched by dogs if they don’t want to be and. dogs can be trained not to jump up at people.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO TRAIN A DOG NOT TO JUMP UP AT PEOPLE THEN PM ME.

“NO” and turn your back when they jump up. Repeat until the dog gets it. Usually only takes a few minutes. Baloo, our new yellow bear that thinks its a lab tried that this morning. Although he’s already 2 years old or so, it took less than 10 minutes of back-turning and “no” in the yard before he got the message. (Turning your back sends a very powerful message to a dog.)
Fenlander, any tips on stopping licking? Firmly pushing him away under the throat isn’t cutting it – he’s 40kg and built like a canine Harvey Keitel!

[quote=“sandman”]“NO” and turn your back when they jump up. Repeat until the dog gets it. Usually only takes a few minutes. Baloo, our new yellow bear that thinks its a lab tried that this morning. Although he’s already 2 years old or so, it took less than 10 minutes of back-turning and “no” in the yard before he got the message. (Turning your back sends a very powerful message to a dog.)
Fenlander, any tips on stopping licking? Firmly pushing him away under the throat isn’t cutting it – he’s 40kg and built like a canine Harvey Keitel![/quote]

You have good advice in the above quote.

Yes i have some advice. If you really dont want the dog to lick you ( you are going to get me in trouble with animal liberation people for this answer).
(1) Role up a newspaper.
(2) When the dog does something you really dont like then clip it around the ear with the rolled up newspaper and say “no” in a very firm voice. This does not hurt the dog but dogs hates the sound of a crumpled rolled up newspaper being quickly smacked over the ear.
(3) The newspaper clip and the “no command” MUST BE PEFORMED IMMEDIATELY AT THE TIME OF THE UNDESIRED ACTION OR NO LONGER THAN A SECOND OR TWO, THAT THE DOG DOES IT. OTHERWISE IT WILL JUST THINK YOU ARE BEING CRUEL AND CANNOT CONNECT THE EFECT WITH THE CAUSE. DONT WAIT AND THEN DO IT, AS IT WONT UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS BEING CLIPPED OVER THE EAR WITH THE NEWSPAPER.
summary
dog jumps up and licks you in the face
you immediately clip over the ear with the rolled up newspaper and firmly say “no” Do not telegraph the newspaer clip. It has to be a shock to the dog and come out of no where. It is not dangerous to the dog but the dog does not like it and associates its behavior with an unpleasant effect.
finish
This is the traditional way, of training working dogs from not doing undesired habits. Electric shock collars are used now but I have never used one as the newspaper and firm negative and postive reinforcement seems to work best.

Also dogs should eat after you and not before. You eat your meal first. Make the dog wait and then you give the dog its food, only when you have finished.
If it is a male dog never let it hump your leg. Stop it form doing that. You are the alpha not the dog.
YOU ARE THE GOVERNER! THE LEADER OF THE PACK
This training works best when you get the dogs from a young age. It also works well with older dogs, but dont let your kids do it if you think your dog is in any way a threat to your family. If it is a threat euthanize it.
p.s.
u have a big dog sandman!

DO NOT USE THE ABOVE TECHNIQUE IF YOU HAVE A VICIOUS DOG.

Option 2.

Contact the guy in the book “the horse whisperer” he whispers to dogs to. He knows more than me. :notworthy: