Throwing bricks at dogs

I was at the park today with my dog when I saw a woman throwing bricks at a some dogs that my dog was playing with. :fume: :fume:

I ran up to her and asked her what the hell she was doing and she told me that one of the dogs jumped on her kid. The dog she pointed at was just a puppy. Maybe 4 months old.

She stopped throwing the bricks and walked away.

If she had hit my dog I think I would have ended up in jail after what I would have done to her.

Man, that makes me seethe. :fume: Like throwing stones at the so-called ‘dangerous’ dogs will pacify them. The most annoying part is that, should the dogs then really have attacked, she would have blamed it all on the dogs being ‘wild’.

Jeez, I’d be wild if someone threw rocks at me.

I’ve had people kick one of my dogs, stomp on one, and hit one in the face with a jacket - actually, it was always the same, calm, friendly, non-threatening dog. Always, the reason would be that they are scared of dogs! :fume: I always leave them in no doubt as to the stupidity of their actions. The only time a dog would go for you is if you threatened it! :fume:

Arseholes! :fume:

I have to go; I’m fuming too much. :fume:

That’s bollocks. I’ve had packs of stray dogs come after me on a number of occasions when riding my bicycle out of town. There are a menace in some places. I generally pick up a large stick to wave at them if they get too close. I have a strong feeling that saying “Good Doggie” in this situation will have little currency.

That’s bollocks. I’ve had packs of stray dogs come after me on a number of occasions when riding my bicycle out of town. There are a menace in some places. I generally pick up a large stick to wave at them if they get too close. I have a strong feeling that saying “Good Doggie” in this situation will have little currency.[/quote]

I’ve had the same thing happen to me.

But these dogs weren’t strays. They all belonged to a man who I think adopts strays. I always see him at the park with a group of 6 or 7 dogs that look a bit mangy but they all have collars and are good natured.

It’s really sad about how many Taiwanese children are scared of dogs. Even if I have my dog on a leash I see kids literally run away if the dog and I get close.

For anyone interested at around 4:00 on Saturdays and Sundays, a lot of people bring their dogs to Jiayi park and let them run around and play with each other. The area is close to the entrance of the big viewing tower. A good chance for your dog to make some friends.

Omni and I were out walking yesterday and would have been torn to pieces by numerous dogs belonging to the farmhouses we past by had these terrors not been chained up.

In Canada I have also had numerous dogs charge me, jump on me, nip at me, and so on, all unprovoked. I wrote about this at length last year.

While I in no way condone throwing bricks at a dog, I also do not condone dog lovers who do not respect the fact that many people are not comfortable around dogs and have every right to strike a dog that has jumped on them or made a run at them or their children without permission. What is a dog doing off a leash anyway so that he has an opportunity to harass someone?

And don’t hassle me about this post unless you have something substantial to say. I love dogs, have rescued several in Taiwan and paid for their medical treatment to get them up to snuff for adoption, and have also interfered with people mistreating their own dogs on many occassions.

I have always thought that the instances of dogs attacking humans should be capitalized upon by animal interest groups. I remember reading a case about a toddler being killed a few years ago by a pack of strays. I think these cases would be the best evidence that people should not dump animals and have a social responsibility with regards to controlling and neutering their animal. If there were no stray dogs, animal lovers and animal haters would both be happy.

In my view dogs are not naturally vicious animals and the ones who have become vicious are that way because of humans. As was said by Little Yellow dog, if people didn’t breed dogs at the rate they do without care of who buys them, and people didn’t needlessly dump animals on the streets there wouldn’t be the stray problem.
The number of cases of animals (dogs/cats) who have helped humans far out weigh the number who have attacked.
When i walk my dogs and a kid screams at the top of their lungs i repremand the kid, this kind of thing scares and confuses the animals as it hasn’t done anything wrong and starts to wonder what the danger is.
People need to be educated and trained on how to look after animals and how to be around animals.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, and to throw stones, sticks, bricks or anything else is just plain wrong.

I have been shouted and aproached by at by people i don’t like before, so does that give me the right to kick, and throw things at them, i don’t think so.

The stray problem in taiwan is a problem caused by people and it is people’s responsibility to own up to thier mistakes and correct them in a good way, not make them worse.

If people don’t like animals that is perfectly there right, but it is also the animals right to walk freely, i believe that some people and kids should be put on leashes, but that would be a perfect world and we’re not there yet :wink:

[quote=“UKbikerchic”]
I have been shouted and aproached by at by people I don’t like before, so does that give me the right to kick, and throw things at them, I don’t think so.[/quote]

If they treaten you, of course it does.

[quote]
If people don’t like animals that is perfectly there right, but it is also the animals right to walk freely,[/quote]

Well, no, it’s not. In fact there are laws against it. Dogs must be leashed at all times when in public.

[quote]When I walk my dogs and a kid screams at the top of their lungs i repremand the kid, this kind of thing scares and confuses the animals as it hasn’t done anything wrong and starts to wonder what the danger is.
People need to be educated and trained on how to look after animals and how to be around animals. [/quote]

I agree to a point. But if you are walking your dog, off leash, and he runs at a kid, the kid or parents have every right to yell or throw something to ward the animal off if they feel threatened.

[quote=“UKbikerchic”]In my view dogs are not naturally vicious animals and the ones who have become vicious are that way because of humans. As was said by Little Yellow dog, if people didn’t breed dogs at the rate they do without care of who buys them, and people didn’t needlessly dump animals on the streets there wouldn’t be the stray problem.
The number of cases of animals (dogs/cats) who have helped humans far out weigh the number who have attacked.
When I walk my dogs and a kid screams at the top of their lungs i repremand the kid, this kind of thing scares and confuses the animals as it hasn’t done anything wrong and starts to wonder what the danger is.
People need to be educated and trained on how to look after animals and how to be around animals.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, and to throw stones, sticks, bricks or anything else is just plain wrong.

I have been shouted and aproached by at by people I don’t like before, so does that give me the right to kick, and throw things at them, I don’t think so.

The stray problem in Taiwan is a problem caused by people and it is people’s responsibility to own up to thier mistakes and correct them in a good way, not make them worse.

If people don’t like animals that is perfectly there right, but it is also the animals right to walk freely, I believe that some people and kids should be put on leashes, but that would be a perfect world and we’re not there yet :wink:[/quote]

I could not have said it better. :bravo:

This said, if I catch someone throwing bricks at dogs, I’ll kindly ask that person to throw it at me…

bobepine

In this case the womans kid has already left the area with their father and there was no longer a “threat” to her child. She was really trying to kill these dogs. I would understand if she felt that her kids were in immediate danger and that a mothers natural instincts would kick in to protect her kid.

But this woman was just a total idiot. When I yelled at her she realized what she was doing was wrong.

There should be “dog parks” where dogs can run unleashed. Or at least designated areas in larger parks.

She does sound like a nasty human being. There’s no grey area here. I would have yelled at her, too.

That’s bollocks. I’ve had packs of stray dogs come after me on a number of occasions when riding my bicycle out of town. There are a menace in some places. I generally pick up a large stick to wave at them if they get too close. I have a strong feeling that saying “Good Doggie” in this situation will have little currency.[/quote]

I meant the ones that aren’t going for you, if you know what I mean. But you’re right.

If a dog is not bothering you and you throw stones … blah, blah

And, yes, the last thing you do to an aggressive dog is try to pacify it. But you also shouldn’t start hurting it. The trick is to be calm and assertive.

Those of you who are talking about dogs chasing you down have a right to defend yourdelves and those with you; however, the OP isn’t about that - the dogs were not threatening anyone.

So, if you’re a dog, and a woman with a child hits you with a brick, guess what? You’ll start to associate kids with threat, and you, a dog, will do what a stupid human would do in that situation, and attack next time you see one.

We’re all animals, you see.

:wink:

Yes yes there are laws about keeping dogs on leashes and for the safety of the dogs i agree. I keep my dogs on a leash when walking along roads etc, but once in a park i let them off, why because i believe they have the God given right as animals of this world to run free.

We are all God’s creatures and all have the right to freedom.

[quote=“UKbikerchic”]Yes yes there are laws about keeping dogs on leashes and for the safety of the dogs I agree. I keep my dogs on a leash when walking along roads etc, but once in a park I let them off, why because I believe they have the God given right as animals of this world to run free.

We are all God’s creatures and all have the right to freedom.[/quote]

The problem of course if that there are often people in the park who do not like dogs. Also, not everyone has a well-trained dog and so you are setting a very dangerous example.

Just yesterday I went to pat a husky that had run up to me. The owner shouted out not to pet him as he bites if touched by a stranger. Hmm. Do you think the owner might have had enough sense to keep such a dog on a leash? No, we were out in a quiet place and she probably felt as you do that it was a good area to let the dog enjoy his god-given rights to freedom. :unamused:

Be careful what you wish for.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]I was at the park today with my dog when I saw a woman throwing bricks at a some dogs that my dog was playing with. :fume: :fume:

I ran up to her and asked her what the hell she was doing and she told me that one of the dogs jumped on her kid. The dog she pointed at was just a puppy. Maybe 4 months old.

She stopped throwing the bricks and walked away.

If she had hit my dog I think I would have ended up in jail after what I would have done to her.[/quote]

I know how you feel. Local peoples’ irrational behaviour toward harmless domestic animals is perplexing to me. It’s infuriating when they resort to cruelty simply because they can’t distinguish between a harmless puppy and a genuinely dangerous animal. I’ve even had locals recoil at the sight of my five pound pomeranian (a hillarious sight to behold–mommy save me from the ankle high fluff ball.). Ok, my tugou is a little larger, so I tend to keep her on a leash around large groups of people but still, any idiot from where I come from would be able to tell she’s harmless. I’ve never seen such looks of terror in the eyes of people as I’ve seen here in those confronted with the average family hound. Makes me want to laugh at these chicken-hearts-- and I frequently do. I think people here are filled with paranoia from an early age concerning animals. I’ve seen loads of people do what you describe and never to dogs who have shown any aggression. Of course, if these dogs reacted to having projectiles hurled at them or sticks swung at them and actually bit the culprit, it’d only confirm to that person that he was right to have thrown the object in the first place. :loco: I’m waiting for the first person to be dumb enough to try any such thing with my dogs.

UKbkerchic isn

[quote=“Little Yellow Dog”]UKbkerchic isn

I am guessing that a large number of people posting here work at english schools. I really recommend that you talk to your school about doing an education day as to what to do when a stray comes near you. I am actually very suprised that there aren’t more instances of strays attacking people. We might all love dogs to bits, but they still have some instincts, such as chase, protect your territory and protect your pack. The way you react to a dog often dictates how it reacts to you(yes I have been chased while riding my bike, I simply turned my bike around and chased back, but I am a dog lover and feel I can read the animals prettygood). The people in Taiwan who don’t like dogs do have a right to go out without being accosted by strays, puppies or not(though I do feel that freaking out a poor little puppy is very sad), but if there is such a problem with doggy overpopulation they should be joining forces with those who are out there trying to get better spay and neuter programs going and who want more affective better run animals shelters(preferably ones where they actually feed the animals and don’t cram them in a cage) I think Taiwan really needs some educating in how to react to dogs, why you need to spay or neuter your dogs etc. When I was there I had other peoples animal threaten my dogs, who were on leashes, and that really pissed me off, but it is the owners fault, not the dogs.

I work at a school and i often educate my kids on how to behave around animals.
I ask them “who is scared of dogs?” then i ask them why. I give reasons that a dog may bite and i educate my kids how to hand dogs.
if you see a dog in the park and you don’t like dogs just keep walking and carry on what you are doing, NEVER SCREAM.
If you want to pet a dog, first ask the owner if the dog is friendly or not and could you pet it. Second hold your hand out palm down for the dog to sniff, then gently brush the head when the dog is ok with you. Never pull a dogs tail and stay away from the rear end of an animals unless you know it very well.

I often take my dogs into my classes to and introduce them. My students are excited to learn about the animals, what they like, there personalities and funny stories of what they have got up to in the past.
90% of my kids want to have a pet when they leave home. most of those want to adopt a pet.
I set a good example and i stand by the fact that my dogs are trained and well behaved, they have never bitten anyone and usually couldn’t careless about the other people in the park, so they are perfectly in thier right to run around freely.

I know some people don’t see animals on the same par as humans but i do, so i say again, i’m not too keen on kids, so can i ask thier parents to keep them muzzled, cause it really affends me when kids are shouting “mum mum look look American American, look mum”
Ps i also educate my students that not all foriegners are American and not to just point and run up to them in the street.

I agree, UKbikerchic, that many people in Taiwan have unreasonable ignorance and fear of animals. My wife’s sister has taught her young child to be scared of cats. When they read a picture book with a cat in it, the mother will go, “ooooh, scary, scary” in baby talk Chinese and the daughter now believes that. And yesterday in the park I saw a 12 year-old boy on roller blades totally freaked out, turning in terror, falling down and madly scrambling for safety because a happy puppy was bouncing around him. Especially in Taiwan I find such fear of dogs irrational, because I’ve rarely seen a vicious, aggressive dog in Taiwan.

But some of your we’re all creatures and have a right to roam freely wherever we want talk is a little extreme. Dogs can attack people or other animals aggressively. Maybe that’s often caused by a bad pet owner, but regardless of the cause, vicious dogs do exist and leash laws are reasonable. Additionally, I agree with the others who criticized the below quote.

[quote]Two wrongs don’t make a right, and to throw stones, sticks, bricks or anything else is just plain wrong.

I have been shouted and aproached by at by people I don’t like before, so does that give me the right to kick, and throw things at them, I don’t think so.[/quote]

I’ve been attacked without provocation by many vicious dogs in my life, who lunged at me, barking, snarling, baring their teeth and attempting to bite me (succeeding a couple of times). So if I’m walking down the street or riding my bike and I see a dog or several dogs that appear to be large and unfriendly, it’s not uncommon for me to pick up a large rock and carry it with me for protection in the event I’m attacked. I’m a peaceful lover of animals, but if a vicious dog lunges at me I’ll have no hesitation about throwing the rock as hard as I can at the dog, kicking it in the head, and if it’s a particularly mean and nasty dog, I’d even kill the miserable creature and have little remorse.

I haven’t seen a dog in Taiwan that I felt that way about, but in the US many people raise their dogs to be totally vicious and dangerous to innocent passersby. True, it may not be the dog’s fault it has that personality – it may be due to the asshole owner – but that’s not my concern. My concern is I have a right to pass down the road without being viciously assaulted and having the flesh ripped from my leg. If some animal violates that basic right of mine, I don’t feel it’s unreasonable for me to inflict pain on or even kill that beast.

That said, I agree with the others that throwing bricks at playful puppy that poses no threat to anyone is ignorant and cruel.