"Tiananmen Rebel" Wu'er Kaixi announces his candidacy for LY

washingtontimes.com/news/201 … in-taiwan/

Good luck, Wu’er Kaixi. This, my friends, is democracy in action.

That’s bizarre. Wu’er Kaixi already announcd he won’t be running for the LY this year and is considering a run next year instead. The announcement caught everyone in our news office by surprise because despite being an important figure, Wu’er is poorly known in Taiwan. Running for a by-election would assure him more press coverage than he could possibly get in 2016, when the news will be focusing more on presidential candidates and big-name lawmakers seeking reelection. Strange choice, but I’m sure he’s got his reasons.

Now that Robin Winkler has been a citizen for 10+ years, I wonder if he’ll consider a run for the LY?

Gotta have time to get your message out.

Best wishes to WK. I’m glad that Taiwan’s democracy is open enough that WK can run. Will be interesting to see his platform. I hope that enfranchisement efforts by the Taiwanese government continue to expand to make it easier for more people to become citizens!

He’s got that critical Uighur faction down pat that’s for sure.

I wonder if there have been any freely elected Uighur legislators anywhere in the world?

A belated answer to say, as of 2023: “yes.”

Guy

1 Like

Meanwhile, concerning Wu’er Kaixi, he’s gone through some some rough times lately:

Guy